Coffee Roasting-Best Practices- Scott Rao [Book] - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#61: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

hankua wrote:I don't get the Cropster either, not much on details?

On page 48, the top roast looks to have a gas adjustment at 1c; if I'm reading it correctly and could account for the steeper ROR decline.
With the bottom roast the last adjustment made before 1c looks to be around the 9 minute mark, then tapering down at the 11:00 minute mark. No adjustments just before and after the 1c event.

Hank can you make any sense out of what is hard or soft ROR crash?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

baldheadracing
Team HB

#62: Post by baldheadracing »

Haven't read the book yet - just received it yesterday - but IIRC Rao advocates using the dip in exhaust temp rate-of-rise that happens a little before pops are heard to mark first crack. When I see the dip, it happens about 10C before regular popping, so that might explain the difference between 375F and 390F ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chuckcoffee

#63: Post by chuckcoffee »

but IIRC Rao advocates using the dip in exhaust temp rate-of-rise that happens a little before pops are heard to mark first crack.

Craig - In Artisan how do you setup the additional probes (ie not ET or BT) to show its ROR?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#64: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

chuckcoffee wrote: Craig - In Artisan how do you setup the additional probes (ie not ET or BT) to show its ROR?
Through the use of Extra Devices. That that tab under Config>Devices. One example is the use for the 2 RTD set up. See the section One in Two in this Artisan Blog post.
Artisan.Plus User-

hankua
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by hankua »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Hank can you make any sense out of what is hard or soft ROR crash?
Yeah, on p48 top graph is supposed to illustrate a "soft crash". The graph lines are hard to interpret, I'm looking at what the comments are and how gas adjustments were made. Using a ruler it looks like a gas adjustment was made at 1c and again 30 second afterwards. There was still momentum in the roast post 1c as the gas adjustment shows. Making some earlier heat reductions would smooth out the curve according to Scott.

In the "hard crash" graph on p49, 1c is not marked and the axis hard to extrapolate. Let's assume by the time the roast got to 1c there were little or no gas adjustments available. The roast lost momentum and "hard crashed". Again using the comments in the book combined with gas adjustments.

I'm going to look for a profile that better illustrates a "hard crash" with a steeper slope at the end.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#66: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Hank thank you. Understand your example yet left wondering how Scott discerns the difference in a soft vs hard crash.

Next question, has anyone looked at the suggested charge temps on 26 and the suggested gas adjustments on 45 and thought whether that would work for them on their drum roaster.

I believe that to get his adjustments to work I would have to be charging at about 405 not the max 380 of his range. I would run out of gas early if charged at 380. Anyone else look at this?
Artisan.Plus User-

Marcelnl

#67: Post by Marcelnl »

Charging at 180 C never worked for me, even at 140 g load, perforated drum though...

If that is not a hard crash I have never seen one, which may be true...all of this makes me want the book yet I need to wait until it's available here as ordering overseas is ridiculously expensive nowadays.
LMWDP #483

chuckcoffee

#68: Post by chuckcoffee »

Got my copy yesterday June 12. Ordered May 29 so 2 weeks. Indicates it shipped from Berlin, Germany. I am in Canada so that's pretty good.

Now to dig in. :D

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#69: Post by JohnB. »

Mine showed up today after a 2 week trip from Las Vegas to Ct. with many stops along the way.
LMWDP 267

hankua
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by hankua »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Hank thank you. Understand your example yet left wondering how Scott discerns the difference in a soft vs hard crash.

Next question, has anyone looked at the suggested charge temps on 26 and the suggested gas adjustments on 45 and thought whether that would work for them on their drum roaster.

I believe that to get his adjustments to work I would have to be charging at about 405 not the max 380 of his range. I would run out of gas early if charged at 380. Anyone else look at this?
I'm guessing this does not apply to the roasters here using smaller machines. Even the percentages are questionable if they're a simple calculate 2kPa/3kPa=%66 gas. Maybe someone can comment if Probat/Giesen heat dial are calibrated to energy output, where 60% is actually a representative number.

A 12kg on up roaster can absorb so much more heat than say a Huky; there's a lot of energy stored in the machine available to use. If one could enter 1c at 20% gas and still have 15%, 10%, and 5%; then maybe it's workable?