Coffee Roasting-Best Practices- Scott Rao [Book] - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bicktrav

#51: Post by bicktrav »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Hmmm, on the gas dip candidates

Look at the graph at the top of page 48, then look at the graph on 49. What do you see as the difference in these?

On 48, the ROR goes from 10 to say 3 (70%) in say 1 1/4 minutes.
On 49, the ROR goes from 4 to 1 (75%) in say 45 seconds.

Really hard for me to get precise with the cropster graphs. In any event the first one is a soft crash, and the second one a hard crash. They both look pretty steep to me. Is the real difference in the second one that there was already low gas going into FC, so then Rao recommends the gas dip. So you need both low gas and steep decline to be a gas dip candidate? In other words try lower heat going into FC first????
I completely agree with this. Those two graphs look mighty similar. For the purposes of illustrating the difference between soft and hard crashes, I found them a touch confusing. I've also found it somewhat hard to figure out whether you're using too much or too little gas going into 1C. Does a slight hump preceding 1C indicate too much gas, even if the remainder of the development phase goes as desired? What about a steep crash with no hump preceding 1C and no stall during at the end of development? Does that indicate too little gas? Those questions don't seem to have clear answers -- if anyone can provide some I'd greatly appreciate it!

That said, I agree with several others here: the book is fantastic. I've liked Scott for a while, and I consider this his best book. The Coffee Roaster's Companion was more about diagnostics, whereas this is more about solutions. You get practical advice about correcting the RoR curves, crashes, and flicks that he points out as issues in CRC. I've used the gas dip now, and it's a great tool. There was a Kenya that seemed to want to crash no matter what I did, and the gas dip straightened it out wonderfully. That alone is worth the price of admission for the book.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#52: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

What do people think is implied if anything in the temps listed in the book? Is a 390F first crack implied? What if anything for things like charge temp?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by JohnB. »

I'd forgotten that I ordered the book 5/30 until this thread popped up again. Anyone know which state the books ship from?
LMWDP 267

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#54: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Mine came within about three days. I would inquire since it's been 12 days now.
Artisan.Plus User-

yakster
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by yakster »

I didn't save the packaging but the packing list that came with the book shows an address in Las Vegas, NV. They ship media mail so it may take longer to get to you.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#56: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:What do people think is implied if anything in the temps listed in the book? Is a 390F first crack implied? What if anything for things like charge temp?

Scott replied and told me its assumed FC is at 375 so adjust your temps appropriately.
Artisan.Plus User-

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by JohnB. »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Scott replied and told me its assumed FC is at 375 so adjust your temps appropriately.
How did you contact him? I sent a message through his site contact form about the missing book but haven't heard back from anyone.

As far as first crack temp it's always been around 390*F in every roast for the past 11 years on both the Hottop & Cormorant using calibrated thermocouples.
LMWDP 267

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#58: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Same. Through the contact form.

All I am saying is the numbers In the book assume FC at 375. So for example if yours is 390 then you need to add 15.

I had a symbolic offset to hit 390. I just removed it and we shall see.
Artisan.Plus User-

hankua
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by hankua »

I don't get the Cropster either, not much on details?

On page 48, the top roast looks to have a gas adjustment at 1c; if I'm reading it correctly and could account for the steeper ROR decline.
With the bottom roast the last adjustment made before 1c looks to be around the 9 minute mark, then tapering down at the 11:00 minute mark. No adjustments just before and after the 1c event.

bicktrav

#60: Post by bicktrav »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Scott replied and told me its assumed FC is at 375 so adjust your temps appropriately.
Wow, that seems low for 1C, or maybe I've just been dealing with 1C readings that are unusually high. 1C is pretty much always in the area of 392 on my Huky. Would that mean that in Rao's standard gas settings prescription, 75% gas at 325 degrees should be adjusted on my roaster to be 75% gas at 337 degrees (adjusted up by 17 degrees since my 1C tends to be 17 degrees higher than his)?