Coffee Roasting-Best Practices- Scott Rao [Book] - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mathof

#21: Post by mathof »

I use the Ikawa Home Roaster, which is a very small (60g max) air roaster with digital control of inlet temperature and fan speed. Would Scott Rao's new book be of much relevance to me?

bicktrav

#22: Post by bicktrav replying to mathof »

It's mostly for traditional drum roasters. You'll get some useful bits of info out of it, but the bulk of the recommendations won't apply.

Advertisement
mathof

#23: Post by mathof replying to bicktrav »

Thanks. I wish I could find a book on air roasting.

Dokkie

#24: Post by Dokkie »

I think Rob Hoos did a class on roasting with the Ikawa, maybe you can look into that?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#25: Post by baldheadracing replying to Dokkie »

It is for the Ikawa Pro, though.
https://hoos.coffee/classes/ikawa
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

hankua
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by hankua »

Ordered :D

Word_salad

#27: Post by Word_salad »

From those that have read this, would the advice be useful for something like a Quest M3, or just larger gas roasters?

I've been roasting with the Behmor 1600+ for a while and I'm looking to make a jump. I'm leaning towards a Quest over something like a Huky due to living space constraints. These seems like it could be a good book to get me started as I know a bit about roasting theory but really don't have a lot of actual experience with a real roster.

Advertisement
bicktrav

#28: Post by bicktrav replying to Word_salad »

I roast on a Huky, and it's 100% applicable. It's for any traditional, gas-powered drum roaster, doesn't matter what size.

Almico

#29: Post by Almico »

I have not received mine yet, but I'll go out on a limb and say as long as you can get good thermometrics in Artisan, you can use Scott's information.

bicktrav

#30: Post by bicktrav »

bicktrav wrote:I roast on a Huky, and it's 100% applicable. It's for any traditional, gas-powered drum roaster, doesn't matter what size. The only caveat is that it's very heavy on data-logging advice, so it will be less useful it you're not roasting with something like Artisan or Cropster.