Coffee Roasted Twice.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Can/Should/If I re-roasted 350g of coffee that didn't turn out so hot where should I start? DE or FCE? I'm sure they will come out dark the way my wife likes it.

Has anyone tried this?

GDM528

#2: Post by GDM528 »

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

I have tried it on some roasts that were dropped too early. It can turn out okay, you can go for a medium roast too. Don't expect it to taste like something done right on the first try of course. Usually I'd mix it with milk for someone who likes a bit more roasty flavor.

Not sure I understand the question exactly, but if the first try is dropped already by DE, the second try can actually turn out very nice. I have done this intentionally or to try and save a roast that didn't reach DE in a decent amount of time. Had some lucky tries, but it seems to work out either quite good or quite bad, not sure what makes the difference.

littlenut

#4: Post by littlenut »

How far did you get it roasted the first time? e.g. thru 1stC?

How far would you roast it if you were starting w/ green coffee and with what you know now about the coffee? Full City? Vienna? City+

I have a dim memory of Hearthware precision or maybe I-roast and losing power in the middle of a roast. I finished the roast when the power came back...weird coffee as I remember and ended up pitching it....

-LN

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane (original poster) »

First roast looking at the beans maybe 410°. They just taste plain.

And on to the next question about what phase should I with. Well, these have been roasted once, and there already brown. I'm assuming since there's not much moisture left, and DE will come really quick. Should I just wait to hit start @ 300° and go from there?

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

This is my most recent, with a test batch that had stalled nearing FC. This time it tasted quite poor, think Starbucks, and it looks extra wonky because the second try was with a Hive, but at least you can see that for drum-style roasters it behaves closer to a regular roast than you'd think.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I find it amazing that you can charge that hot and have such a low TP temperature.

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

It's a bit of a stretch to call it a drum, and the mass is pretty near the weight of the beans :wink:

Still, I've seen the same pattern of near normal characteristics with the Quest (with a regular, although still comparatively light drum)

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Charge weight?

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk replying to mkane »

198g. The roast chamber on a Hive might weigh ~50g more, but only half of it touches beans.
I got the idea to charge high from The Coffee Roaster's Companion, the 3 roasters I use have quite light drums and it usually works out nice, without any charring or tipping.