Bypassing thermostat on popcorn popper

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
kb1ooo

#1: Post by kb1ooo »

Hi,

With a previous popcorn popper, I could bypass the thermostat by just popping out the little disk. This one is different (see picture). What would be the best way to bypass this? Bend it in some way that guarantees contact? If so, how?

Thanks,
Marc

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

well, the round thing is a fuse, if it get's to hot the machine stops working, the other part is the thermostat. My first thought was to try and wrap a piece of 22 ga solid copper wire around the thermostat to keep it from opening. It's kind of crude, but really easy to try and might work just fine. Because of the way it's assembled, bypassing both those pieces might be tricky. If that works and the fuse opens, you will need to move the wire to the other side of the fuse. Maybe bend the fuse away from the hole so it stays cooler if that makes any sense.

Ira

kb1ooo (original poster)

#3: Post by kb1ooo (original poster) »

Thanks, great idea to wrap a wire around the thermostat. I wasn't thinking that I'd need to bypass the fuse, thinking it wouldn't get hot enough to trip that but I guess I'll find out.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I hope it's a great idea, it might to turn out to be a stupid, but doing it the right way on that machine doesn't look fun. It's certainly not designed to be serviced.

Ira

Mbb

#5: Post by Mbb »

What's wrong with soldering a jumper over the thermostat

You should keep the thermal fuse

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

Soldering things that get hot is a recipe for disaster.

Ira

kb1ooo (original poster)

#7: Post by kb1ooo (original poster) »

As Ira wrote. I'm not equipped for a soldering job that supports high temp use, which AFAIK would require a torch and specialized solder.