Bullet Roast Along-Brazil: Lagender or etc - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sambuist

#11: Post by sambuist »

I think when you are on your computer you can adjust the axis and display settings and then when you load it to the cloud it will show up that way.

pcofftenyo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by pcofftenyo (original poster) » replying to sambuist »

Thanks.
Here's something from 1/15. Lower early heat than 1/12, less max heat. Need to work on the end next as I've got a pre 1C hump and a little too much momentum. Good news is that the higher fan throughout the roast plus the heat changes result in a much better bean smell after 24 hours.

sambuist

#13: Post by sambuist »

I'm Interested to see how this tastes as I use a much higher initial charge temp (260 for 454g) and lower power and fan as I have plenty of momentum to try and get ride of.

Mine is not the "better way" but I think it gives more "brightness" in the cup and with a high quality Brazil I'm hoping to keep as much of that as possible.

Long story short - if your roasts are tasting muted then try a higher charge temp and be careful of applying too much extra heat!

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by pcofftenyo (original poster) »

My initial roasts with higher charge temps went directly into the trash.

There were other problems too so in trying to isolate exactly where it went wrong I figured at least a lower charge temp would alleviate tipping/scorching so I could eliminate 1 potential problem.

This is a lower altitude, fairly soft bean so I need more convective heat and less direct heat to alleviate tipping/inner scorching. I can fix the end of the roast fairly easily in the next effort. Will use this one in playback making some later cuts to avoid the hump, slow it a touch, and shorten it by at least 10 seconds but this depends on ROR and 1C temp.

An electric roaster like the Bullet cycles its "burner" on and off to manage heat whereas gas is steady state. Totally different. Seems like the pulses are inconsistent so more difficult to time.

Almico
Supporter ★

#15: Post by Almico »

I've been roasting Legender Especial Natural for 6 years. It is the base of my espresso and the only coffee I use for iced coffee. It also makes up 50% of my light roasted breakfast blend and darker roasted comfort blend. The other 50% of both is from Colombia.

It is a big, sweet chocolate bomb coffee roasted to the edge of 2C.

FWIW, this is my roast template:

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by pcofftenyo (original poster) » replying to Almico »

Thanks for that.

My Brazil, Rose Diamond, is to have similar features. Both it and the Bullet are new to me. I almost never have a Brazil so am deep in the learning curve for these softies.

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

Almico wrote:I've been roasting Legender Especial Natural for 6 years. It is the base of my espresso and the only coffee I use for iced coffee. It also makes up 50% of my light roasted breakfast blend and darker roasted comfort blend. The other 50% of both is from Colombia.

It is a big, sweet chocolate bomb coffee roasted to the edge of 2C.

FWIW, this is my roast template:

Whoa. That's a provocation. I'm provoked to try. I'll use FAF Bobolink. i've wanted to test a Brasil to FC. And yours will serve as template: reduce heat to 30 % 30nsec before start 1 C and bring to coast the last 1:15, 25 deg C rise after 1C start. Should be cusp of 2C. Here goes, wish me no peanuts!
LMWDP #198

Chert

#18: Post by Chert »

And here it was: My post 1 C development may have lagged then failed to fall off quite as well as Almico's template. I look forward to tasting come the weekend.

LMWDP #198

sambuist

#19: Post by sambuist »

so i have tasted my three batches and below are my results after 4 days rest. these batches were roasted with a friend who will write up the next iteration in a few days when we try the results.

Batch 1 - i wanted to roast low and slow to get a base line and make sure that i didnt get any scorching from a high charge temp. the resultant color (via the Roast Vision light sensor) was a 23 which is med-light. in the cup, it was a low in acidity and a touch roasty (not baked but roasty). as a shot , it was ok but it was really nice as a 6oz flat white. that extra color allowed the flavor to cut through the milk a little more. still i think it was a little low in momentum so next time i would up the charge temp to get the ROR to 23-25 at 2mins

Batch 2 - i wanted to go a little faster than batch one and drop a little shorter after FC to get more acidity (or keep more of those origin notes). i figured this was a great brazil so i wanted to test that idea. all i did was add more power upfront and for longer that that of batch 1. the color ended up being 26 which is light on the scale. this makes sense although it was hard to tell when just looking at the beans. as a shot this was perfect. well balanced and nice mild acidity. i really enjoyed this one. i then added it to 6oz of milk and it wasnt as good as batch 1. it was just a little too light to cut through. this batch would be great for a pourover or shot but not worth it for a milk based drink.

Batch 3 - not having tasted 1 or 2 at this point, i was still trying to go lighter. so i upped the charge temp and power still and it did go faster. the color was 26 as well so maybe is was much lighter than Batch 2 but it was quicker so the acidity should be higher. and yes it was more acidic, not unpleasant just more acidic than batch 2. it also lacked any chocolates BUT im hoping with more rest it can develop those flavors. i will report back to see if match 3 gets any more balanced with time

so going forward - i will try and use batch 2 settings BUT develop it to about 2mins past FC and 3 mins past FC to see is that is helps in the milk based drinks. i think the higher temp and slightly faster roast times (than that of Batch 1) is the way to go with this bean but all in all its great no matter how you roast.

sambuist

#20: Post by sambuist »

Update after 10 days rest

Roast1 - the chocolate really pops on this one. Great with milk, maybe a little too much as a shot.
Roast 2 - the acidity mellowed to a very pleasant level while the chocolate notes moved forward. Amazing as a shot and great with 6oz of less of milk. This is the crowd pleaser of the bunch
Roast 3 - not much chocolate and still bright but works well. Not as good as 2 but in not throwing it away :D .

my roasting buddie is going to try redo roast 2 again while I try and emulate these roasts on the IKAWA. Sound be fun