Bullet R1 Aillio Roaster Now Shipping.. - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ilker

#61: Post by ilker »

In that sense, 2 years warranty is very encouraging.
In spec. sheet, they wrote 1 year warranty but online ordering page mentioned 2 years.

RasmusDJ

#62: Post by RasmusDJ »

day wrote:The one point that confuses me is airflow. I don't see any massive heat sinks and the induction is apparently applied directly to the drum. Therefore, there is no way I can see for entering air to be heated at all (obviously induction doesn't hear air at all). Does that mean that all airflow is at room temperature on entering the drum and what are the impacts of that Unheated air?
I can answer this, as we have been discussing it with Aillio through our meetings with them.

The airflow comes from two places, and are mixed before it enters the roast chamber.

1: alot of the air comes from the front of the roaster and, and its directed in between the heating element and the drum, and trough that, the air has been heated.

2: second part of the air comes from tunnel next to the tunnel, and that air havent been heated in the same way.

I hope it makes some sense.

RasmusDJ

#63: Post by RasmusDJ »

millcityroasters wrote:My impression is that the drum speed is fast enough to provide some convective heating.
The drum speed can be pretty fast, right now, counted by the eye and turns, the RPM is. Counting has been with an empty drum. Also its not made by me, but by a friend of mine.

Our experience so far is, that it has a bit better heating transfer to beans, at around D6. But there are also some discussion about the drum speeds effect on ROR, when you are lowering the drum speed, ROR falls instantly.

D1: 50 RPM
D2: 53 RPM
D3: 57 RPM
D4: 61 RPM
D6: 66 RPM
D7: 75 RPM
D8: 77 RPM
D9: 77 RPM

millcityroasters

#64: Post by millcityroasters »

millcityroasters wrote:My impression is that the drum speed is fast enough to provide some convective heating.
RasmusDJ wrote:The drum speed can be pretty fast, right now, counted by the eye and turns, the RPM is. Counting has been with an empty drum. Also its not made by me, but by a friend of mine.

Our experience so far is, that it has a bit better heating transfer to beans, at around D6. But there are also some discussion about the drum speeds effect on ROR, when you are lowering the drum speed, ROR falls instantly.

D1: 50 RPM
D2: 53 RPM
D3: 57 RPM
D4: 61 RPM
D6: 66 RPM
D7: 75 RPM
D8: 77 RPM
D9: 77 RPM
I was totally wrong. The tiny snippets of drawings on the Aillio website show conventional drum roaster air flow. It looks like air is heated as it is pulled from around the outside of the drum, through the rear of the drum into the bean mass, exits the front of the drum, and finally routed to the rear of the roaster via a duct above the drum. The only thing really novel is the induction heating. Everything else, although cleverly and attractively packaged, is pretty conventional for a small roasting appliance.

As for drum speed, I'm certain that higher speed is necessary to mechanically fluidize the bean mass on full size (1 kg) charges for most efficient convective heating and it also helps to ameliorate the effect of excessive conduction caused heat damage from the highly localized "hot spot" induction heating will produce. This is all to say, it looks like a fairly competent little roaster.

RasmusDJ

#65: Post by RasmusDJ »

millcityroasters wrote:As for drum speed, I'm certain that higher speed is necessary to mechanically fluidize the bean mass on full size (1 kg) charges for most efficient convective heating and it also helps to ameliorate the effect of excessive conduction caused heat damage from the highly localized "hot spot" induction heating will produce. This is all to say, it looks like a fairly competent little roaster.
I will be roasting the coming weekend, I can try to do a couple of roast with 1kg, one with D9 and one with D6, same Power and Fan settings, to see what difference it will make to the roast.

Also, it seems like Fan 5+ will take to much heat out of the roaster, and there for ROR will fall faster.

CoffeeRoastersClub

#66: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

77RPM at certain intervals? I thought 60RPM was the highest recommended RPM for coffee roasting. 17 rpm is not that big of a deal higher, however I wonder how it affects a real dark roast like a french or italian espresso. Those roasts can cause the beans to become quite brittle. Nothing I would want to drink, however just saying.

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

dale_cooper

#67: Post by dale_cooper »

creativenickname mentioned something similar but does anyone in this thread that has received the bullet...also have experience using a conventional gas, drum, roaster which utilizes much more convective heat? I'm QUITE tempted to buy the bullet (bite the bullet, ha), but it seems somewhat risky without cupping against other roasters..... Technology and super clean design is great but taste is paramount. I want both, is that too much to ask? :)

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

CoffeeRoastersClub wrote:77RPM at certain intervals? I thought 60RPM was the highest recommended RPM for coffee roasting. 17 rpm is not that big of a deal higher, however I wonder how it affects a real dark roast like a french or italian espresso. Those roasts can cause the beans to become quite brittle. Nothing I would want to drink, however just saying.

Len
77 RPM, setting D9, is just the maximum possible drum speed on the controls, not a speed that I have seen any users roasting with (after reading lots of posts from fellow bullet roasters in the Bullet forum). As RasmusDJ posted, I am also runnning my drum speed at speed D6, 66 RPM, for the last half of the roast, after having worked my way up gradually from speed D3, 57 RPM.
LMWDP #371

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#69: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

dale_cooper wrote:creativenickname mentioned something similar but does anyone in this thread that has received the bullet...also have experience using a conventional gas, drum, roaster which utilizes much more convective heat? I'm QUITE tempted to buy the bullet (bite the bullet, ha), but it seems somewhat risky without cupping against other roasters..... Technology and super clean design is great but taste is paramount. I want both, is that too much to ask? :)
It's not too much to ask, but you have to keep in mind that there are only a couple hundred or so Bullets in the world at this point. Only some percentage of those owners are posting on the WWW, and even a smaller percentage of those users have roasted on other roasters. I have not roasted on gas before, but I have roasted in the Quest M3 for a few years. I have found my roast quality to be much better from my Bullet already, and I only have a couple weeks of experience. I think asking for verification from users that the roasts taste good is valid, but again I am not so sure that it must somehow be validated against a roast from a gas drum, if as you say taste is paramount, then judge it on the taste. Is it a comparison of gas roasted taste that is important, or is it that the resulting roasts taste good that is important? In the end I foresee this turning into the never ending debates on the merits of drum roasting with gas over electric, or versus fluid bed. The more difficult a topic is to quantify or verify the results, the more perfect the topic is for thought research on the message boards.
LMWDP #371

brianmch

#70: Post by brianmch »

AssafL wrote:Roasting is a Franken-occupation. Scales. Roaster. Vats for green coffee. Vats for coffee outgassing. Books. Laptop to track roast. Chimney (for 225gr a must, so assuming that 1kg makes more smoke it will need a hood...). Cooling contraption. Vacuum cleaner for the silverskins....

I have seen Quest Frankenmachines as well, but any roaster integrated with a cart and a smoke expulsion fan and a laptop base and a controller etc. is going to be big. Doesn't have to be that way. Can always keep the components separate and use them as needed (my M3 is behind the Sofa attached to a chimney bellow).

The Bullet has very nicely integrated the electronics for the telemetry and control. Still a large protruding box, but nonetheless very nicely done. But even the Bullet will want a laptop, probably a hood or chimney (for the smoke), large diameter extension or supply cables, a scale, vats for coffee, etc. Did I say Franken-occupation?

BTW - Did they finally succeed in getting it to work with Artisan?
Yes, roasting can be very Franken-stein'd. Seems like they are trying to making it less so. You may be okay with having to cobble together a ton of sh*t to make a price-point roaster work, I'm not. That is my issue with the Quest too, so don't get your nickers in a knot about the Huky. I don't have the space and don't want to make it and I lack the funds for a self-contained system with cyclone.

This may be operable as a stand-alone with only a laptop/tablet connection AND has better capacity and IMO better roast theory than an Ikawa.