Bulk roasting Behmor 1600+ - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jannus

#61: Post by jannus »

Your dedication is admirable. I normally roast with my wife, and we rarely do more than 4 or 5 batches in one go, once a week. What you're doing makes me feel very lazy! Keep it up, and good luck with the remainder!

mckolit (original poster)

#62: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to jannus »

Thank you. When I roast it's a solo gig. Just me watching the temps. Before this, the most I ever did at one go was four.

#63: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Went over 100 roasts. I am now halfway through. Heard a weird noise coming out the side when I went to roast this morning and thought "uh oh." Thought it was the motor giving out. Fortunately it's just the exhaust fan. Had some chaff or other debris in there. Once it was cleared out, good to go.

Almico
Supporter ★

#64: Post by Almico »

You might need to factor in a new roaster after all is said and done. But as long as you're having fun...

I have a 75# roaster. It would take me 1/2 an hour to roast 125# of coffee. If someone came to me with a 150# of green and a good story, I'd gladly do it for a tank of gas.

#65: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Almico wrote:You might need to factor in a new roaster after all is said and done. But as long as you're having fun...

I have a 75# roaster. It would take me 1/2 an hour to roast 125# of coffee. If someone came to me with a 150# of green and a good story, I'd gladly do it for a of tank of gas.
Definitely gonna need a bigger boat if I have to do this again. :D
I would take you up on that offer. It'll cost a few tanks of gas though. We're on opposite ends of the country.

#66: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Bucket six done and delivered. The machine is holding up well. The drum on the other hand has seen better days. I started a roast today and heard beans falling out. I had to do a little hammering to get the lock a little tighter and kinda bend the "door" of the drum just a tiny bit so when it's closed, the gap isn't large enough for beans to fall through. Luckily I ordered a new drum yesterday.

Case17

#67: Post by Case17 »

mckolit wrote:60 roasts in as of today. Not hating it. I think one of the big factors is the weather. If I had to do this just a month ago, I would've literally been sweating each roast, it was so hot. But the weather has been so pleasant. And after each roast session, I hit a milestone which helps with the motivation. Right now, it's counting buckets. Two down, eight to go.
As for back to back roasts, I can get another batch running two minutes after I finish a roast.
As for maintenance on the behmor, definitely keeping up with it. I clean after each session of five roasts.
Unfortunately, the bullet is not an option right now. It's just such a big jump in price from the behmor to a 1kg roaster.

Understand, and more power to you!

I made the most of my Behmor for about 5 years. It was well suited for roasting for myself and my wife... eventually roasting for others (mainly during the holidays) got to be a drag. Getting the Bullet made roasting that sort of volume much easier. However, then I started supplying some family members with coffee full time. It too, became a drag. When your passion hobby becomes something you do more for other people than for yourself, the passion can be diminished.

Anyways, just my personal situation... different people might have different opinions.

#68: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

The end is near. Today is the last roasting day for this project. That's the last of the greens left of 150 pounds. I finished bucket 7 yesterday. Only need to roast nine pounds and that's it. They were dosing by volume instead of weight so the bags were mostly under 8 ounces.

Whatever the numbers, almost there!

Also got a new drum. Old drum looks old and nasty. Didn't realize it until it was next to a shiny new one.

jannus

#69: Post by jannus »

I believe congratulations are in order! Add a "wow".
Well, if anybody wants to know how durable a Behmor can be....here's a good reference. If you ever doubt yourself in terms of commitment and tenacity, please reread this thread. :) pretty impressive.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by yakster »

I bought my Behmor refurbished from the Chocolate Alchemist and roasted with it for ten years. It went through chaff fires, board replacements, afterburner replacements, and upgrades and still kept roasting along until I outgrew it and popped for the Bullet. I remember when the winning roast in a HB home roasting contest was from a Behmor years ago, I'm glad I got one, it was a big step up from a hot air popcorn popper.

Congratulations on your bulk roasting feat on your Behmor.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272