Bulk roasting Behmor 1600+ - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by ShotClock »

This is an impressive feat - and I think that you might be insane. Either way, a good way to persuade your other half that a Mill City 1kg would be a sensible investment...

mckolit (original poster)

#52: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to ShotClock »

:D I told her the jump from the behmor to a 1kg roaster and she was no way. It is a big jump.

This is different. A double seam. Haven't seen one before.

I'm gonna try and roast another 15 batches today. During the first session, ERR2 came up twice on the same roast. I found out that on my machine, if I turn it off, hit cool, then turn it off again, I can start another roast right away. So I was able to save the roast.

Miltonedgebert

#53: Post by Miltonedgebert »

There's currently a free 1kg electric roaster in the buy/sell forum. You might be the perfect candidate for it!

#54: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to Miltonedgebert »

Thanks, I saw that too, but pick up only and I'm in the wrong side of the country.

Did another 15 roasts today. I'm actually ahead of schedule! Tomorrow I'm gonna deliver the first 30 pounds. Two buckets down, eight to go. :D

Case17

#55: Post by Case17 »

mckolit wrote:Not set in stone yet but if it goes through, I'm being asked to roast 125 pounds of coffee for Christmas presents. I have a Behmor 1600+. I usually roast 12oz batches. Most I've ever done in a session was four batches, which took roughly 2 hours. So at that rate it'll take me 40 days roasting everyday after work. Maybe go down to 30 days if I do more on the weekends. Buying a more capable roaster is out of the picture. Maybe getting a second behmor is an option, but not likely. Can the behmor take that kind of beating? I've had mine for a few years now and I don't know if it'll make it through the job.

You will likely hate yourself by the end of this. The Behmor can probably handle it, assuming you clean it reasonably well... but it's not designed for back-to-back roasting. It's slow and inefficient. When you use the the Bullet near its listed 1lb max load, the profile gets too long. Not to mention the slow cool down.

If you're considering doing this sort of volume, it's time to upgrade to a roaster that can handle back-to-back roasts. I have a Bullet; could roast this in a couple of dedicated days.

#56: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Case17 wrote: You will likely hate yourself by the end of this. The Behmor can probably handle it, assuming you clean it reasonably well... but it's not designed for back-to-back roasting. It's slow and inefficient. When you use the the Bullet near its listed 1lb max load, the profile gets too long. Not to mention the slow cool down.

If you're considering doing this sort of volume, it's time to upgrade to a roaster that can handle back-to-back roasts. I have a Bullet; could roast this in a couple of dedicated days.
60 roasts in as of today. Not hating it. I think one of the big factors is the weather. If I had to do this just a month ago, I would've literally been sweating each roast, it was so hot. But the weather has been so pleasant. And after each roast session, I hit a milestone which helps with the motivation. Right now, it's counting buckets. Two down, eight to go.
As for back to back roasts, I can get another batch running two minutes after I finish a roast.
As for maintenance on the behmor, definitely keeping up with it. I clean after each session of five roasts.
Unfortunately, the bullet is not an option right now. It's just such a big jump in price from the behmor to a 1kg roaster.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by Pressino »

It will be interesting to find out how the coffee actually tastes when you finish this marathon roast. To check roast consistency over the entire process, you could select samples (allowed to de-gas equally) from the beginning, middle, and end of the adventure.

#58: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to Pressino »

Good idea. I'll get one sample per bucket.

#59: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Bucket three done. 45 roasted pounds about to be delivered.

#60: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Bucket 4 done last night. 60 pounds done. Today I'll hit roast 100 to officially be halfway through.