Bulk roasting Behmor 1600+ - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mckolit (original poster)

#31: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Did a practice run today. Roasted the first batch and got the second batch ready to go while the first was cooling. I usually wait til the B temp gets back down to 129 to start the next batch. After the second batch, I tried running the roaster again when B read 250. It started like normal. Does anyone know what the B temp needs to be at for the roaster to start again?

#32: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

So it's happening. Picking up 150 pounds today. Let the games begin. :D

#33: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Starting today. If the behmor doesn't break, I'll finish in 30 days or so. :shock:

#34: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Day one is done. Four batches done. 48 ounces of greens. 40 ounces roasted. I can get a second batch started two minutes after the first is finished. I have to stir the roasted beans for a minute or else they won't cool. After stirring I vacuum out the roast chamber to clear the chaff then I fill the drum and get the next batch started.

After only four roasts this is what's cleaned out. I'll definitely clean after every session.

Pressino

#35: Post by Pressino »

Is that mostly just retained silverskin or are the roasts coming out rather uneven?

#36: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to Pressino »

That's silverskin. Roasts come out fairly even.

Pressino

#37: Post by Pressino »

Great...and good luck getting through all those beans!

#38: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to Pressino »

Thank you.

So day 2 is in the books. I did two sessions. Eight roasts total. So in order to get this done, I need to average seven roasts a day. I've finished 12 so far so behind by two. But that's what weekends are for. To catch up.

I bought these 6 liter tubs and they fit 80 ounces roasted each. I'm going to get a big bucket to fit more roasted. I need to store 40 roasted pounds at a time before we give them away. First goal is 60 roasts in two weeks. First batch of gifts will be given away after Thanksgiving for 75 people. Half pound bags each. I almost had a heart attack today. The bride said the presents were supposed to be a pound each! But she was mistaken. Whew.

Mbb

#39: Post by Mbb »

mckolit wrote:So in order to get this done, I need to average seven roasts a day. I've finished 12 so far so behind by two. But that's what weekends are for. To catch up.

Nope, making christmas gifts for people you dont know at wifes work is not what weekends are for.

But good luck just the same.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by yakster »

I'm thinking you deserve a heckuva great holiday gift from your Wife for all this.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272