Brazilian beans, what is your preferred blend.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#1: Post by cannonfodder »

Split from Homeroasted coff vs. commercially roasted "pro" coffee

JonR10 wrote: SIDE NOTE: has anyone found a smooth, sweet and creamy-CREAMY Brazilian this year yet? I ran out of my Brasil Fazienda Cachoiera from last year's crop and haven't found anything even close yet this year...
Brazil Poco Fundo (if you can still find any, I did with a little help :wink:) and Yellow Bourbon Fazenda Cachoeira (screen dried) from Paradise Roasters. Use a 50/50 ratio, roasted separately (different roast speeds). Once first crack hits, lower the heat but do not stall the roast. Run it another two minutes after first but keep both out of second. Mix, let it rest for 5 days and pull your heart out. Thick, 100% crema, sweet, fruity, nutty and floral. Toss in some MAO Harar and this year's aged Sumatra Lintong (roasted slow and light just out of first) and you have a hum dinger citrus/nutty/light bodied/sherry and fruited summer espresso blend of goodness. But I am somewhat biased since that is my blend.

If you ask nice, I will even give you the mix percentages.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

cannonfodder wrote:If you ask nice, I will even give you the mix percentages.
Sounds yummy. Pretty please? :)
John

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Dave's blend # 38 iteration 7 (I had 9, liked 7 the best).

22% aged Sumatra Lintong roasted slow and just out of first crack, city
26% Brazil PocoFundo, city+ roast. Half way between first and second
26% Brazil Fazendac Cachoeir Yellow Bournon at full city, just short of first crack or the very first pop of second then drop the roast.
26% MAO Longberry Harar Horse Masala at city+ right between first and second. Roast it fast and hot to preserve the acidity and fruit.

Let it all rest for 5-7 days and have at it. Works good as a 1.5oz ristretto in the 200f range, the delicates get lost in milk so drink it neat. No fancy name just good espresso. If you need a name, 1098 or the Duck works for me, simply because I want a 1098S The Italian super bike of blends, built for one purpose.
Dave Stephens

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

cannonfodder wrote:Dave's blend # 38 iteration 7 (I had 9, liked 7 the best).

22% aged Sumatra Lintong roasted slow and just out of first crack, city
26% Brazil PocoFundo, city+ roast. Half way between first and second
26% Brazil Fazendac Cachoeir Yellow Bournon at full city, just short of first crack or the very first pop of second then drop the roast.
26% MAO Longberry Harar Horse Masala at city+ right between first and second. Roast it fast and hot to preserve the acidity and fruit.

Let it all rest for 5-7 days and have at it. Works good as a 1.5oz ristretto in the 200f range, the delicates get lost in milk so drink it neat. No fancy name just good espresso.
Thanks Dave. This is very similar to my standard homeroast blend: 2 parts base (Brazil, Mexico), 1 part Harrar, 1 part Indo. Hard to go wrong with this classic. IMHO it holds up quite well in milk.
cannonfodder wrote:If you need a name, 1098 or the Duck works for me, simply because I want a 1098S The Italian super bike of blends, built for one purpose.
Sure it's got enough power for ya? :twisted: Ask Tim (HairyCannonBall) to post pix of his stable. He's got a coupla Ducatis in there...
John

JonR10

#5: Post by JonR10 »

cannonfodder wrote:Brazil Poco Fundo (if you can still find any, I did with a little help :wink:) and Yellow Bourbon Fazenda Cachoeira (screen dried) from Paradise Roasters.
Sounds good! It's quite a coincidence that I just pitched in for some Poco Fundo at green Coffee Buying Club, I should see a 10-pound bag showing up by week's end. As for the other, I have purchased 2 "Brasil Fazienda" coffees from CoffeeBean Corral that just arrived yesterday and 2 pounds each of Brazil Cachoeira da Grama Yellow Bourbon and Brazil Organic Fazenda Jacaranda that I roasted one batch each Saturday (and will start tasting them tomorrow or Thursday)

I have bookmarked the Paradise Brasil and plan to get some of that too.....

So when I pick the "winner" I'll buy a buncha buncha and hope to make it last!

Jasonian wrote:I'm not Jim or Ken, but you can guess my reaction to reading such words from the fingers of JonR10.
LOL - it might surprise you to know that my standing practice has always been to pull shots with BOTH a double basket and a larger basket ESPECIALLY when I'm trying out new beans. That's one of the reasons I like having multiple grinders on the bar! But these last few weeks I have been pulling doubles exclusively and playing with lower doses.

Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Be forewarned, PocoFundo will tank quickly if not properly stored. I vac pack all but 3 pounds and put it in the deep freeze for storage then get it out in 3 pound lots as I deplete my 'ready to roast' stash. In fact, I vac and deep freeze all my greens if they will be around more than a couple of months. They store very nicely that way.
Dave Stephens

rasqual

#7: Post by rasqual »

cannonfodder wrote:In fact, I vac and deep freeze all my greens if they will be around more than a couple of months. They store very nicely that way.
Do you vac large bags? What kind of gear do you have to do that?

Anyone else with pointers to such gear -- economical gear, if possible?

Advertisement
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) replying to rasqual »

Just a good old Food Saver. You can get them about anywhere, or online.
Dave Stephens

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. replying to cannonfodder »

I got a lucky thrift store find of an original Tilia Foodsaver that was made in Italy when Tilia first produced them for the home market. The newer ones are easier to use, but this one is built like an LM four group. The bags are a bit expensive, but we have saved a lot of food from spoiling. For example, get the large box of cereal at Costco and then divide it into quarters and seal them (not too much vacuum or it crushes the flakes). The cats won't eat stale canned food, but have no problem with food that was vac packed.

I took your tip and split my recent green purchase and put half into the freezer after vac packing.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Rainman

#10: Post by Rainman »

cannonfodder wrote:Just a good old Food Saver. You can get them about anywhere, or online.
Does this really make sense? I bought 15 lbs of the same green Jon bought, and if it really "tanks" as fast as Dave says, maybe I'll get that deep freeze freezer sooner... (?) ..and a foodsaver, to boot!

I coulda sworn green beans were more stable that that... 2 months?!?

Ray
LMWDP #18