Brazil Daterra Sweet Blue

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Theta Ridge supplies a nice business card with greens, nice touch. I wasn't paying any attention at all But the way these beans behave I would say there a Natural.
Two roasts, 25g ground and sitting for 60 minutes.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Michael it's a blend - Processes: Pulped (Semi-washed), Natural, Pulped Raisin

Sweet Blue

You may have to click on the name to toggle it open.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

GC7

#3: Post by GC7 »

In my few experiences with this coffee (blend) over the years, I've mostly roasted it like a natural but it cups more towards a clean washed bean. It is not your typical Brazilian cup.

It's a very easy one to roast. I find it cups much like the description on the website and it's satisfying as SO or especially blended with a fruity Ethiopian.

I look forward to all of your comments.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane (original poster) »

As the cups cools, I'm getten' it. Spicy chocolate almond. One hour off roast.

I'm going to need a bigger freezer

jlehet

#5: Post by jlehet »

I've gone through about 10lbs of this over the last couple of years. We find it's pleasing with milk (we usually don't drink with milk except for certain kinds of coffee) -- though this is good and quite different without milk. I haven't roasted any for a couple of months, but the way I remember it, the chocolate was "cheap chocolate" -- kind of Easter Bunny. And nutty.

I had shared with my wife the long Sweet Maria's article from a few months ago about the varieties of chocolate flavors in coffees, and then roasted Sweet Blue. I already pegged the "cheap chocolate" flavor and handed her a cup. She sipped and said, "Cheap Chocolate! Easter Bunny!"

It's a coffee well suited to the Behmor, which is how I've roasted it up to now.

Completely enjoyable. I think it's my favorite Daterra, even though they up-sell some of their other "sweet" blends as being fancier. But I'll revisit with the hottop.

We had some as cold brew with milk over the summer, quite delicious that way.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I'm having another cup as I sit. Nutty almond. Very drinkable if you like nuts. Medium mouthfeel, level headed.

jlehet

#7: Post by jlehet »

I have seen some forum threads where people were having a hard time roasting Sweet Blue, but for me, with the Behmor, it was one of the super reliable could drink it all the time coffees I would never hesitate to roast up and offer someone. Kind of curious how it would go now with the Hottop. Maybe I'll try a roast today.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane (original poster) »

3 days off and this is enjoyable. Nutty and cheap chocolate show through while hot. This could be my everyday drinker.

jlehet

#9: Post by jlehet »

I roasted a batch of this on 9/22 and just tried it today. Unfortunately, I gave most of it away and kept 50g to try. I say unfortunately, because I don't think it was very good. I only like to give away really good coffee! I have a pretty clear memory of this from the Behmor, and this was not as good. I remember it as nutty, smooth, and chocolate. This one from the Hottop was a bit grassy, sour, with little of those other characteristics. I seem to be having better luck with fruity notes than with chocolate. I still have the Behmor -- maybe I should do a roast to compare both look of final roast and flavor.

My probes read low:

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mkane (original poster) »

One week out, MSK832. It's a nice coffee. Cheap nutty chocolate. A bit big for my tastes but I seem to be turning into an admirer of a shade lighter. While my wife likes oily beans and bolds reds, I've turned into a Pinot drinker and can't stomach the dark side. Must by advanced age taste buds.