Brazil Daterra Masterpiece Victor Aramosa

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem
Team HB

#1: Post by mpdeem »

Brazil Daterra Masterpiece Victor Aramosa - Natural Anaerobic Fermentation - courtesy of Chert . Stewed fig, black raisin, black rasberry jam, tangy rasberry seeds, chocolate flour torte, hazelnut cream, hint of honey roasted cashews. Fruits are very deep and complex like a compote or jam with tart seeds that a nice tart contrast to all that stewed fruit sweetness. Very unique flavor profile - like a deep jammy fruit forward coffee meets rich creamy nut praline style dessert style coffee. Almost like a peanut butter jelly sandwich in that despite the contrasting flavors, the resulting coffee posses a seamless harmony of flavors. Very rich and complex, a flavor bomb (to paraphrase Chert). This could easily take on a dash of milk or cream due to its complexity and depth.

A few notes on roasting. These are tiny beans, almost peaberry sized. They roast up very quickly, becoming quite dark even at lighter roasts. Recommend keeping your roasts very light and short at first to get a feel of the beans. Get to know the beans and adjust as you go. These are tiny beans that get dark quickly.

Bean color - the color does not necessarily reflect degree of roast. It seems like the exterior bean color -even when ground- is darker than the actual roast. Start light and go off time and other sensory input rather than bean color. I am adjusting time and peak temp for now, then comparing bean color after I've had a chance to taste the roast.

This is a very versatile coffee not requiring a lot of roasting. Even my lightest roasts were very rich and complex -full of well developed flavors. Chert was kind enough to share a very light sample roast of the Victor that was full of flavor and had incredible complexity and body- the flavors as developed as my darker roasts.

I did not take my own advice regarding roasting. Started my standard City++/FC, the resulting roast looked like FC+ or even darker. Having neglected to take into account the small bean size, I worried that I had gone too dark and roasted all the fruit out. What a wonderful surprise to discover the fruits and other flavors were still intact, with the fig and black raisin notes becoming more prominent and sweeter along with the hazelnut cream - now more of a hazelnut praline chocolate. So even if you end up going dark do not worry, the flavor will still be there.

This is a 'once in a lifetime' type coffee for me in that I don't have the skill, means, or knowledge to go about obtaining a Daterra Masterpiece Auction Coffee. I am very grateful for members like Chert who put forth the effort and outlay to obtain such a special coffee. Thank you Chert for sharing the Daterra Masterpiece Auction Coffees. Last year's Armadillo El Paraiso Pulped was mind blowing, expanding my notions of how good and complex coffee can be.

For those of you who have had the Armadillo, I think you will find this coffee very intriguing. While the Armedillo was very unique, the Victor's profile is even more unique in that it is the not oft seen combination of fruit forward anaerobic meets creamy praline style dessert coffee. I highly recommend trying it on this merit alone. If anyone does not end up liking this coffee, I will gladly buy it off you...that is how much I love it.

Hope to hear from others who have had a chance to roast and cup this special coffee.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

Thank you much for your notes. Mine is still vacuum sealed but I am eager to play with it. I likely will be roasting all of it on the Ikawa so I can play with many different roast levels and profiles. There isn't enough to want to risk getting to know it on my Cormorant (ordered a kilo.)

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Look forward to hearing back whenever you get around to roasting it. Would also enjoy hearing how it performs on the Ikawa. Have no experience with it but might have the opportunity to try one out. So feel free to share any tips or suggestions specific to the Ikawa as well as general tasting notes.

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

There are ikawa profiles from 2021 auction here: https://www.flowcode.com/page/daterraauction21 ( I think). Maybe the aramosa varietals serve as a starting point ? Not my gear, so dunno. But I do think such a distribution is a nice opportunity for small batch roasters too.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan »

Thanks for the link to those. Did my first Ikawa roast of the Daterra and you folks weren't kidding about it looking darker. Roast vision picked up an 18 (medium) on the roast when most coffees hit around a 22-24 with that profile. I'll taste tomorrow and do a much lighter version as well. The aroma coming out of the exhaust was beautiful. Smelled like flowers and slightly citrus during Maillard.

lukehk

#6: Post by lukehk »

Great write up and comments. You've given me confidence in the direction I should be going. I've had very similar experiences and can definitely identify with the flavours you've explained.... But I'm not there yet. I need to let it rest, evaluate it and adapt a bit. I've only done an initial taste after 12 hrs . 3 x 80g roasts on my Kaffelogic Nano 7 with varying end temps and profiles. Initially using my standard quite fast and light which I used most recently for a Kenya Thika Oreti Peaberry. I thought I had incinerated it judging by the colour. It tasted much better though. No toasty flavours, clean, juicy and very stewed fruits. I've now roasted quite a bit lighter, about 40 seconds after FC and it looks similar but it is indeed a much lighter flavour profile. So I won't be scared of the colour or going light, will let it rest and look forward to to trying in as many different ways as I can. I really enjoyed the last Daterra masterpiece that was shared and know I will enjoy this too. Thanks so much!

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

I won't go into as much detail as Mary since she pretty much nailed it. I will say this has raspberry all over it. Both fresh cut raspberry and jammy at the same time. How? I don't know but it is very interesting to taste the full spectrum of a fruit flavor from young to jam. I'm not getting as much chocolate but I didn't hit Full City like Mary, but it makes me want to try! Lot of floral in there too, but I am not versed enough in floral to describe it in detail (on the to-do list.) Boat load of sweetness with acidity that calls for another sip. I did a V60, but I may break out the Aeropress for an immersion brew too.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Milligan »

I tried a roast with the Mainumy profile from the Daterra Ikawa profile page and it was too much. Tastes baked and registered a 15 on the Roast Vision (getting into dark.). I also tried a quick roast (5min) but still went darker than I wanted (19 roast vision), but had much more brightness and flavor. I haven't settled on an ideal roast yet but glad I am able to tinker with only 70g at a time. I feel like there is more sweetness to be found. I want to pull a batch right at the first sign of first crack to see if that is enough development. The aroma from the Ikawa exhaust is beautiful during the end of Maillard and I fear that the good stuff is being burnt off even through a very small dev stage.

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

Milligan wrote:I tried a roast with the Mainumy profile from the Daterra Ikawa profile page and it was too much. Tastes baked and registered a 15 on the Roast Vision (getting into dark.). I also tried a quick roast (5min) but still went darker than I wanted (19 roast vision), but had much more brightness and flavor. I haven't settled on an ideal roast yet but glad I am able to tinker with only 70g at a time. I feel like there is more sweetness to be found. I want to pull a batch right at the first sign of first crack to see if that is enough development. <emphasis added> The aroma from the Ikawa exhaust is beautiful during the end of Maillard and I fear that the good stuff is being burnt off even through a very small dev stage.
I wasn't quite that bold, but I roasted a batch yesterday dropped shortly into snappy 1C: 5 C temp increase. The floral aroma in the cooling bin was encouraging but testing will tell. even at that short development the chaff is dark and requires some removal effort.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Milligan replying to Chert »

Let me know your impressions when you get a chance to try it.