Boca Boca 250 to Cormorant

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Becausethewind

#1: Post by Becausethewind »

Hi everyone ! New member here !

I have been roasting with boca boca 250 for the past 2 years
It's been good to me albeit a bit small and cumbersome when roasting more than 200 gram batches. The roasts have gradually gotten better with it but sometimes I feel a bit uneven. I have been looking into the cm600 cormorant roaster. Anyone here have it? Do you love it ? Will it be a worthy upgrade / noticeable difference in bean roast quality ?

carl_694

#2: Post by carl_694 »

I have the Cormorant. It's a solid product with more capability than my skills allow me to employ (so far). Recommended.

Advertisement
Becausethewind (original poster)

#3: Post by Becausethewind (original poster) »

Cool. I've been trying to find some user input on the cormorant. Some user videos and variable instruction

How has it worked for you? On the boca boca i almost inevitably am left with some grassy combustion notes from
Chaff being locked in with the beans during roast. I almost always have to pull at exactly 200c if I go any darker it will usually turn too carbony and oily.

Excited to work with the phidget system installed on it to record my variables

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

A search will pull up threads on the Cormorant here & there is also a Facebook Cormorant group. Very happy with mine.
LMWDP 267

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

I am happy with mine as well. I have only seen positive reviews here.

Any questions that you have that can't be answered with a site search here...just ask. Plenty of owners here that can help.
LMWDP #580

Southpaw

#6: Post by Southpaw »

I've had a Cormorant since late 2018. It's a great roaster that's easy to roast with. I have one of those stories where I shared the coffee with a few friends and they asked me to start roasting for them. I roasted 454g on it consistently because it nets around 345g of roasted coffee (12 oz) which I would bag and sell.

I have outgrown the Cormorant and bought a larger roaster last summer. I'll probably sell it soon but have mixed emotions about that.

latte-larry

#7: Post by latte-larry »

I have also been using a boca boca for the past 2 years and have outgrown the roaster. I finally made the decision to upgrade to a one of the new cormorant electric roasters.

@Becausethewind - I was wondering if you ever made the transition to cormorant and your thoughts on the journey.

I would be glad to update on the electric version of cormorant once I receive and get acquainted.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

The Cormorant Electric version is still in development according to the website. Has Johan mentioned when he expects it to go into production?
LMWDP 267

latte-larry

#9: Post by latte-larry replying to JohnB. »

I contacted Johan and he said the first batch are going out this month. I got put on the list for April.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

I'm surprised that he hasn't put any info on his website. Found a few Youtube videos that show the electric version. 4 IR tubes for heat. During the roast Johan had it up to 1650 watts but it may go higher. Is he building 120v and 230v versions?
LMWDP 267