Behmor roasting problems after 1 year

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
potterybean

#1: Post by potterybean »

Purchased the behmor 2000ab roaster August 2020. Has been working great up until my last order of beans from sweet Maria's which were Brazil dry processed. The profile which I Have Always used is a manual profile P5 which is the hottest taking it to the 1st crack increasing drum speed and quickly dropping temps off the unit until pulled for cooling.
These recent beans have been a nightmare. Scorching, tipping and completely unusable.

Been in contact with roastmaster where it was purchased they sent me to behmor. Keep in mind no one lets you talk to a body directly all correspondence via email so hence this has take so far a week and no resolution.

Sweet Maria's has not been any help keeps sending me back to they're documentation.

Brazil beans are considered soft beans hence to much heat will scorch and tipp.

They keep telling me to roast at 50% a behmor has set specific roast times for specific weight 1/4, 1/2, 1 lb. You can use a pre-programmed with a Rosetta stone finish. Or manual which lets the user determine the outcome.

At a 50% heat reduction these beans do not enter 1st crack i have gone thru 5 lb already with so many different profiles and the beans come out burnt and over cooked everytime. What is so diff with these beans or has my machine gone haywire.

Sweet marias will not refund me on these beans which were $95 for 20lb i am told they don't have anymore so they can't help.

I am looking for help from someone who has a behmor roaster and has used Brazil beans to help me find resolution on what has suddenly changed. Beans or roaster.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Could be beans or roaster, but my Behmor itself was pretty stable. When did you buy the beans, how have you stored them, and in what environment? Green coffee does change over time and affects how it will roast.

I don't own a Behmor anymore but used one for years. I definitely found a tendency to tip/scorch and took to preheating it empty to reduce this. While it may not help, see the 7th message in this thread for my favorite Behmor recipe and tips. HTH.

Getting Started with Roasting

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Roasted with a Behmor 1600 for 10 years before upgrading to a Bullet. I would pre-heat the Behmor with the chaff tray installed to a certain point and then stop it and put the coffee drum in to start the roast. I liked 350 gram batches in the Behmor and logged temps and used a Variac to adjust the input voltage and I switched to manual mode after I installed the new control board. I don't have any experience with the new model your using.

What size batch are you roasting with the Brazil?
Are you pre-heating?
What settings are you using?
How long is it taking to get to full yellow?
How long until first crack?
Can you tell if you're getting scorching or tipping in the drying phase (up to full yellow) or later?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

potterybean (original poster)

#4: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Chris beans are new to me they're is not a date from Sweet Maria's of age.

I preheat 1:30 min with Chaff tray in beans are stored in cool dry place in original pkg. Never had a problem before nothing had changed but the beans.

I run manual p5 to first crack pf starts at 22min for a 1lb which i always do. Beans don't appear to have any scorching during drying it takes about 15 min to get to 1st crack at which time i speed up drum and lower temps i do not use Hi heat after it reaches crack. Faster drum acts as convection over beans. If i don't wait for 1st crack the lower temps will never take my beans into the crack. Sm tells me to run Brazil(soft bean) at 50% power tried this on 1/4lb should only take this weight 8-10 min i had it on for 20 min trying to get a crack. at this point beans are not roasted but baked when there is no crack and color only changes.
-Mirinda

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Are you roasting 1 pound of green coffee or just using the 1 pound setting on the Behmor? How much coffee are you roasting per batch?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#6: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Ilb both in weight and on dial

Is there anyway to post pics on this site
-Mirinda

#7: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

After i hit 5 wasted pounds i started using 1/4lb it's killing me all this waste
-Mirinda

#8: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

So i just received another new shipment on Thursday whopping 30lb. I can not afford to keep throwing beans away. These beans were roasted with my standard profile i have been using for past year. They were a little better still issues. And i roasted 1 full pd in drum and on machine selection. I never roast diff weight in drum then i select
-Mirinda

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I don't have any experience with the model you have, so take this with a grain of salt but I'm going to throw out some things to try.

1. Roast on the 1 # setting with less than 1 #. I'd try 300 - 400 grams on the 1 # setting. This will allow you to hit first crack faster and give you more control over the roast. I think you may be struggling trying to roast a full pound in the Behmor with getting control over the large mass of beans.
2. Once you hit full yellow, look at reducing the heat / power. This will be especially important with your Brazil coffee.
3. Check to make sure the afterburner is still working. If your model is like mine, there's an afterburner in the ceiling of the roast chamber that helps to reduce smoke. With my Behmor, when you hit cool, the afterburner comes on and you can check for the glow of the wire wound around the ceramic block. If your afterburner is not working (maybe because of a broken wire) then this will affect your roast. Behmor should give you better ideas of how to check this with your model.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#10: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Chris when i roasted on my stove before Behmor i could see the migration yellow, then tan into first crack i don't see the yellow on this machine. To me it seems to go from green to tan. So you think at tan drop the heat. I am not having luck dropping heat before the crack starts otherwise i hear no crack. Is it possible it is cracking at low tones that it is undetectable. When the heat is high its more of a violent crack.
-Mirinda