Behmor roasting problems after 1 year - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Brewzologist »

Pardon if I misunderstand your last post; did you pre-heat with beans IN the roaster to 200F? If so, would recommend pre-heating empty to 250F, then pull the basket out with heat-proof gloves, add beans, reassemble and start your roast at P5 as you described.

As for white pitting on the IR heating elements, I think it's normal as it ages and mine were quite pitted but worked fine. You could try watching the lower element glow as compared to upper element during normal cycling of the roaster for any big differences in intensity which may indicate the element is wearing out. But IMO, when elements fail they burn out and supply no power so if anything would expect the roast to be underdeveloped.

potterybean (original poster)

#32: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

No i preheated, then put the beans in. it actually gives me more time this way, but honestly the beans are getting worse lots more scorching now it's almost all of them. This unit is under warranty not sure why behmor thinks its operating fine.

-Mirinda

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Brewzologist »

Well, if Behmor support walked you through a check of your machine, then I suppose using a process of elimination the next thing would be to get some similar but different greens and roast them to rule our your current Brazilians. If that too fails then you'd have more evidence which points to the roaster as likely culprit.

EDIT: the picture in your last post shows pretty marked differences in colors of some of the beans. Did they used to roast to a more uniform color when everything was working well?

#34: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Did yet another Roast, different bean. Preheat to 250 then placed beans in. Went quickly to 312 reduced p3 bring temps down once 295 put back up to p4 till 1c after crack lower to p3 to finish out 1c lowered p2 ran 2 min then p1 and cool removed manually to finish cooling externally.
Results: Scorched
-Mirinda

yufeng66

#35: Post by yufeng66 »

I have had a Behmor 2000 since January. It's doing fine with Brazil beans thus far. I did notice If I let the heating element glow bright yellow for too long, the beans will be scorched and uneven. This tends to happen if I start with a cold machine or if I increase the temperature too quickly. Preheat 3-4 minutes helped a lot. I also end up using the auto mode. The heating element is mostly dark reddish that way.
Here is how I do it.
1. preheat (1/4 and start) with the tray but without drum for 3-4 minutes.
2. 300g bean in, 1/2 and start, press start at 9 minutes and C when necessary.
3. Take the drum out and shake in front of a fan around 14:30 to 15 minutes.
The end results are not scorched but still slightly uneven. I just accept the unevenness as one of the limitation of the machine :(

#36: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Behmor can roast uniformly, i have 10 months of proof. It can produce a great roast. Don't give up

I am trying beans from diff region, altitudes to watch the progress.

These are Brazilian
-Mirinda

#37: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

15 min is a long time to cool. Lay fan on side use rectangle colander sit beans on top of fan they cool in 4 min. Sweet marias recommends 4 min. to fast impacts beans to slow keeps cooking them. Like food it continues to cook unless you cool it down (ie ice water bath)
-Mirinda

Advertisement

#38: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Hey just wanted to get back to everyone that helped me on my journey this past month trying to figure out why my coffee after 10 months went south on me. After ordering another 30lb of Brazil naturals and having failures again, i ordered wet process beans from Mexico and Guatemala went back to my original profile and the beans surprised me. Still have some tipping i am dealing with but pulled a pretty decent looking bean. Really thinking now it was the beans all along and natural/ dry process vs wet. Yes a lot of $$$ were spent on beans but the learning process was OK frustrating to say the least but so informative. NEXT STEP..to find someone who knows how to roast natural process beans in a behmor 2000ab. If someone has a profile in a city + that works i would be very interested. still have many many did i mention MANY beans in this natural process i would like to tackle. Just a comparison of Brazil vs Mexico and Guatemala way more quaker beans in Brazil coffee, nice to not have to shuffle thru them. and yes i am the maker of the pottery that compliments the beans.
-Mirinda

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by Brewzologist »

Glad to hear that. Naturals do roast differently than washed coffees and often develop quicker during a roast, so I put the brakes on a bit sooner with them. Most of me Behmor experience was with washed coffees, however. So perhaps experiment with a bit less heat and see if that helps.

#40: Post by potterybean (original poster) »

Thanks Steve if you know of a decent profile for DP would love to try it out i think this will help me to grow and understand DP development from other successful DP roasting experiences vs my constant failings with this.
-Mirinda