Behmor 2000AB Plus

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
randyr5

#1: Post by randyr5 »

I'm considering purchasing the new Behmor roaster. My question is - how does it perform in cold temps outdoors? Roasting indoors is not an option.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

I would venture to guess not very well.

quality8453

#3: Post by quality8453 »

I have a 1600+ and roast outdoors. My electricity is 120V. I roast between high 60° and low 80°range. The Behmor doesn't do well when it gets colder than 65°F. It just doesn't have enough heating power to overcome a lower ambient temperature. If I am out of coffee, and the weather is cooler, like a couple of weeks ago, where we had days in the low-60°F range, I will buy professionally-roasted beans or even store-brewed coffee.

jpschust
Supporter

#4: Post by jpschust »

randyr5 wrote:I'm considering purchasing the new Behmor roaster. My question is - how does it perform in cold temps outdoors? Roasting indoors is not an option.
I guess the question is how cold? I've got the 2000ab and I find it performs extremely well down to about 40 or so degrees. Below that not only am I uncomfortable, the heat retention in the unit starts to suffer a bit. In some ways that can be great- with very sensitive greens it can extend some time in 1C or give you a bit of breathing room. When it gets really cold here in Chicago I'll move to using my garage instead.

Word_salad

#5: Post by Word_salad »

Well I have a 1600 plus and I've roasted outdoors through a Minnesota winter. While it's not the best I haven't had any trouble reaching FC in a reasonable amount of time. You can wrap the unit in towels and keep it off the ground to insulate a bit. Also a full preheat helps. I think the coldest I roasted was 9 degrees, really sucks to stand outside not moving around though.