Beginner Roast Profiles In Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FearlessFreep

#1: Post by FearlessFreep »

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Huky 500t (solid drum) and it's in transit - I couldn't be more excited! A big thanks for the info you all posted on here which helped me get to my decision. I've spent a ton of time reading forums and trying to figure out how to get up the learning curve. I know, I know, I need to be patient and just do a few roasts and try to not plan too much.

I am going to be using Artisan to log my roasts. Is there a place where I can find example profile curves to load into Artisan? I know the Huky Forums are closed and aren't accepting new registrants. There seems to be the perfect section of "Roasting Resources" in the sidebar on the Huky Forums, but I don't have access! I ordered 10 lbs of Yirgacheffe from Sweet Maria's and it would be great to get a few basic profiles for me to mimic.

Any suggestions would be wonderful, thank you!!

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Welcome! FYI; I have an account on the old hukyforum.com and to my knowledge there are no Artisan profiles available for download. I would be hesitant anyway to use someone else's profile because even with the same roaster you can still have differences in probes, ambient temperatures, airflow, etc that may not work to emulate on your machine. Also, Artisan roast logs (.alog) may have ties to the users Artisan settings file (.aset), so unless you are using the same devices and overall settings the roast logs may not load/work right.

There is some value in doing a "natural" roast on your roaster to see how it performs with different beans. My suggestion would be to look on HB for profiles posted by Huky users for the type of coffee you're interested in, and then to use Designer in Artisan to create a similar profile to use as a background for your first roast. After that you can use your previous roasts as backgrounds as you tweak things to improve them.

And definitely make use of the Artisan Simulator with your Designer profile. It's a great way to get experience with roasting before you actually do it.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

What Device did you order to connect the probes? Keep posting here and we I'll help you out. Making he best of 2020.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

FearlessFreep (original poster)

#4: Post by FearlessFreep (original poster) »

Thank you both! This community is so awesome. I got a Phidget 1048 which I'll hook up to Artisan on my laptop. I got the ET, BT, and MET probe (which I'll ignore the MET for a bit).

Very good advice on the roast profiles. It's helpful to know that there isn't a "perfect" profile and that many folks will find different things work for them. I'll take a look on HB for a Yirgacheffe profile and hopefully get in the ballpark while I learn everything. I should probably fill my time anxiously checking the tracking number 10x per day with goofing around in the Artisan software to get familiar.

I love deep dives like this!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you want to deep dive into the basics please read the pages linked in my signature.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart