Bake-A-Round fitting cocktail top

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
false1001

#1: Post by false1001 »

Hello all,

I'm building a new fluid bed roaster using the common bake-a-round/cocktail shaker design, however I'm finding it quite hard to get a cocktail top that fits my bake-a-round. I've ordered four different ones online and every single one has been wildly off from their advertised measurements. I can't seem to find the widely recommend chefmate cocktail set at target, and a couple marshalls trips have also ended up fruitless.

Does anyone here have an exact model number or link for a shaker top that will fit a bake-a-round? It would be much appreciated!

freeadvice

#2: Post by freeadvice »

I would love to learn more about this. Are you documenting this build? If not, please reconsider!

devlin2427

#3: Post by devlin2427 »

I don't know how this translates "across the pond" but in our community we used a 750ml shaker and a bottom cut 1 liter french press glass. The diameter of both is around 90mm.

renatoa

#4: Post by renatoa »

Yeah, wondered why "across the pond" there is no popularity of bake-a-round cooking method... totally lack of this glass type in Europe... :?

Almico
Supporter ★

#5: Post by Almico »

I have a bake-a-round in the cupboard. I would love to build a little sample air roaster with it. I tried a heat gun, but I can't seem to get the pressure I need to loft the beans. CFM is not the issue, it's air pressure that is required. I'd love to follow a build...

renatoa

#6: Post by renatoa »

Check oldgearhead build, it's the reference for such roaster built starting with a B-A-R.

false1001 (original poster)

#7: Post by false1001 (original poster) »

freeadvice wrote:I would love to learn more about this. Are you documenting this build? If not, please reconsider!
I hope to document the build after I'm finished, it's going well so far beside the fact that I can't seem to find a really crucial piece...
renatoa wrote:Yeah, wondered why "across the pond" there is no popularity of bake-a-round cooking method... totally lack of this glass type in Europe... :?
The pyrex bake-a-round is just a really cheap way of getting a borosilicate glass tube that's big enough to roast up to a couple pounds (if you have a strong enough blower/heater combo). They're discontinued but you can find them for ~$20 on ebay and a little more on amazon. I considered using a french press but a big goal of mine is to make my roaster modular and easily maintainable/upgradable, and the bake-a-round will not only scale up in terms of batch size in the future, but will also handle any kind of thermal shock thrown at it. If I ever have a fire in my roaster (god forbid) i'd be willing to bet the bake-a-round will still be perfectly serviceable.
devlin2427 wrote:I don't know how this translates "across the pond" but in our community we used a 750ml shaker and a bottom cut 1 liter french press glass. The diameter of both is around 90mm.
I don't have the bake-a-round with me, but if I remember correctly the inner diameter was about 3.5" and the outer diameter about 1/8" larger, so call it 90/92mm, which sounds almost exactly like the dimensions you're describing. It's not hard to find a 750ml cocktail shaker, however they seem to come in all shapes and sizes. On top of that many stated dimensions are just flat out wrong, for example a manufacturer will state the shaker is 3.75 inches wide when it turns out to only be 3 or 3.2 inches wide. I even got one that claimed to be 5" wide and still turned out to be 3". Thus, the hope that someone has a tried and true shaker that they could recommend, or maybe something equivalent before I give up and have a local machine shop create a custom piece. I feel like the fit between the bake-a-round and the shaker is important though, so I don't have a ledge that beans can get caught on.

freeadvice

#8: Post by freeadvice »

false1001 wrote:Hello all,

I'm building a new fluid bed roaster using the common bake-a-round/cocktail shaker design, however I'm finding it quite hard to get a cocktail top that fits my bake-a-round. I've ordered four different ones online and every single one has been wildly off from their advertised measurements. I can't seem to find the widely recommend chefmate cocktail set at target, and a couple marshalls trips have also ended up fruitless.

Does anyone here have an exact model number or link for a shaker top that will fit a bake-a-round? It would be much appreciated!
I found this info from another website with another bake a round build:

Cocktail Shaker:

Chefmate
SKU: 490700500373
Another: 070 05 0037
last number: ID67455-0037
It is distributed by Target Corp

Cocktail shaker is a Chefmate. No size listed but it holds right at 24oz. it is 3.5 on the top and fits nicely in the Bake Around.

Almico
Supporter ★

#9: Post by Almico »

renatoa wrote:Check oldgearhead build, it's the reference for such roaster built starting with a B-A-R.
I've seen that one, but I'm only looking to roast 100g max.

renatoa

#10: Post by renatoa »

Then bake-a-round is too big, it's sweet spot is in the 250-400 grams range.

You should check for a 82 mm glass, probably french press... that suits a 500 ml shacker, as I have on my desk.
Maybe even a popper, but those are too narrow at 70mm, not enough space to make an uniform "fountain".