Back-to-back staggered roast levels

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Last time I roasted on my Bullet, July 1st, I did two 700 gram back-to-back roasts as usual but this time I roasted the second batch lighter than the first. I stopped the first roast when it started to smell good, the same with the first, but I decided to use the darker roast first giving the lighter roast more time to age. I like to do at least two roasts in a given session to take advantage of the time and energy efficiencies of a back-to-back roast.

First roast was Ethiopia Dry Process Benti Nenka, roast profile here
Second roast was Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village, roast profile here

I'm into the second coffee now and I'm really enjoying it with the additional age after drinking the enjoyable first roast. I'm thinking I may intentionally continue this practice of roasting two coffees with different roast levels and staging them drinking the darker roast first and the lighter roast second.

Does anyone else do this?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

GC7
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by GC7 »

Hi Chris

Your links are not available (to me) in Roastworld. I think you need to make them sharable.

That said, I too don't use my bullet on a scale where back to back roasts are practical for reproducible results. I roast for Jane and I and some neighbors and friends. I start with a "cold" roaster and preheat to a consistent fixed heat input. My roasts then go the same each time with power and fan changes based mostly on IBTS milestones. If I did a second roast back to back, the roaster is overall hotter at charge point and the milestones for profiling come significantly faster. That certainly can be compensated for but I'd find it useful to do that only if I roasted many back to back batches. If I do a second or rarely third roast in a day, the roaster sits and gets back to ambient temperature before I preheat and roast another batch.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

I have that habit too, every now and then a roast escapes control a bit and ends up lighter/shorter or longer/darker and I use the darkest first allowing the lighter roast to mature longer. Works pretty well for me!
LMWDP #483

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

We start drinking 24hrs in. No less than 3 batches per session. Gas roasters take some time to warm up so may as well run it for a while. We always go from light to dark.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:Hi Chris

Your links are not available (to me) in Roastworld. I think you need to make them sharable.
I've edited the links so they should work now. I logged out of RoastWorld after making my post and tried the links which worked for me, but probably only because of my browser's cache.

Thanks all for the feedback on my question.

I need to wrap my mind around if starting with a light roast first makes sense if my roaster's pre-heating protocol results in a cooler roaster for the first batch. Is anyone with a Bullet pre-heating to a higher temp than charge and then re-programming to their charge temperature as sort of a pre-roast and between-roast protocol? It'd be nice if you could program that kind of sequence into the Bullet. (People have asked for this on Roast.World's community section)
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

I do 3-4 roasts in a row and often tweak to get light, medium and dark roasts of the same bean using Rao curve but adjusting % development. Then I can taste each ine and mix.
LMWDP #603

GC7
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by GC7 »

yakster wrote: I need to wrap my mind around if starting with a light roast first makes sense if my roaster's pre-heating protocol results in a cooler roaster for the first batch. Is anyone with a Bullet pre-heating to a higher temp than charge and then re-programming to their charge temperature as sort of a pre-roast and between-roast protocol? It'd be nice if you could program that kind of sequence into the Bullet. (People have asked for this on Roast.World's community section)
I've heard of a few people who do a mock first run before actually roasting beans back to back.

Your first roast took significantly longer than the second, consistent with more thermal energy in the roaster after the first roast. The BT probe temperature at drop for both roasts is not too different so all that extra energy is in the roaster. I believe that the Bullet is an extremely reproducible machine but a consistent preheat routine as well as profiling routines during the roast is key. I believe BradM starts from a cold ambient temperature roaster every time and preheats for exactly 15 minutes before charging beans. He does one roast at a time. I do 1 at a time as well. I start with a cold roaster and wait until the charge command but not longer. Folks who do many back to back roasts find the first one an outlier for their profiles and the subsequent roasts reproducible.

All that said, you can do either a light or dark roast first. You have to get your preheat and power change milestones in line with your goal for time to first crack and momentum to finish with desired development. I'm roasting a bit less than a year now with the Bulllet and I learn something with each attempt.