Auto Vacuum Canister (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BodieZoffa

#21: Post by BodieZoffa »

This sort of storage method does nothing for me as I keep plenty of green onhand in a consistently controlled environment and of course rotate 'stock' as needed so nothing sits terribly long. I roast every 3 days to keep up with my current use so each batch is 7-9 days post roast when consumed (espresso only) and I find Mason jars to be perfect for this sort of use. Honestly don't see any advantage to any type of specialized canisters and it's more of a marketing strategy compared to solid real world/everyday use.

cafeIKE

#22: Post by cafeIKE »

JB90068 wrote:Fruit growers learned a long time ago that they can pick their fruit green, place them in large refrigerated warehouses that hold the fruit just above freezing with about 98% nitrogen content.These warehouses also control humidity. This effectively keeps the fruit from ripening and off gassing C02. Before they need to ship the fruit, they pull it and let it ripen with fresh air.
Supermarket fruit sux. As I imagine would coffee stored similarly.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#23: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

I think I solved my problem. At my 96yo mom's. Found some opened Peets Major Dickasons blend in the freezer dated 6/24/2019. Just brewed it up, and tastes liked Peet's MD blend. Hope the caffeine is still there.

Based on this discussion I have learned that my Airscapes do nothing significant except hold the different coffees. I can 4-6 different home roasted coffees at a time. They never last for more than 3 weeks. Some of them stay in the Airscape unopened for a week or two. They are different colors and that helps separate/ID them when transferring coffee to my dosing jars.

I am not feeling a need to change this pattern as we have limited freezer space. Getting another freezer in AZ isn't appealing either since it would have to be in the garage.

Thanks again for all the education.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by mkane »

Great thread thanks'.

jpender

#25: Post by jpender »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I am not feeling a need to change this pattern as we have limited freezer space. Getting another freezer in AZ isn't appealing either since it would have to be in the garage.
Even the refrigerator would help. To first approximation the rate of reactions is halved for every drop of 10°C (18°F).

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#26: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to jpender »

Ha Pastry chef wife has first dibs on all the cooling in the house. Rather let her fill it up as she chooses and drink more coffee. That said we may try one container of the better coffees in the there.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart