Artisan with Phidget RTD help - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chuckcoffee

#21: Post by chuckcoffee »

Steve, I thought that was the case but that did not solve the issue

The best solution that has worked for the last year over many roasts has been just using BT. One RTD

I had thought that potentially I had a bad RTD. I replaced it and same issue. The program runs so well and my ROR curve was not bad so i stopped trying to solve the issue with 2 RTDs

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

chuckcoffee wrote:Does anyone use anything on the thread to isolate the RTD from the roaster body?
I have been trying to troubleshoot some "ghost" noise. But also have another issue of the RTDs that I bought to replace my TC's. They didn't have metal protection on the end and one has worn out. So in ordering replacements from Phidgets and going for the four wire this time, I did order their isolator. Also note they have a new Hub out which is supposed to have some isolation as well.

All arrives next Monday and I will let you know.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Brewzologist »

One theory I've often had with these troubles is they are due to floating grounds between devices, probes and computers. Where the fixes we employ just change the grounding pattern to where it occurs less often in a troublesome way.

Michael; Did you get this?: Isolator

EDIT: FYI; And if you have multiple USB cables going into your computer you'd probably ideally want one USB isolator per cable.

EDIT2: Good info here on grounding issues with Phidgets: https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Improving ... eliability

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#24: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to Brewzologist »

Yes and No - I got that one with the super cool plastic case for an additional $8.

I am also removing my second monitor which meant another item plugged in and will only be running the Phdiget cable into my Mac.
Artisan.Plus User-

Alaroast (original poster)

#25: Post by Alaroast (original poster) »

MaKoMo wrote:Do you have any further Phidgets connected to the HUB0000, like an ambient HUM1000 or PRE1000, or any unused module?
I didn't have other probes attached to the hub other than the BT and ET RTD's. I did order ambient temp and humidity modules to add to hub when I ordered the replacement RTD and all are installed now. Initially I installed the replacement into the existing port so that it did not extend fully into the drum so I wouldn't have to reform to prevent interference. That configuration did affect temperature since half of the probe body was outside of the roaster and it was also very cold in my garage. I've since carefully formed the probe again to prevent contact with drum vanes. That was done at the risk of damaging internals again but so far, so good.

On another note, I'm getting some weird data from the ambient temp module. At start of roast, ambient is correctly displayed but looking at roast properties after roast, ambient temp say over 300F but the temp inside of the electrical box where it's located is cool so not sure where this anomaly is rooted. It is not in contact with any heat producing components inside of the box.

MaKoMo

#26: Post by MaKoMo »

Alaroast wrote:On another note, I'm getting some weird data from the ambient temp module. At start of roast, ambient is correctly displayed but looking at roast properties after roast, ambient temp say over 300F but the temp inside of the electrical box where it's located is cool so not sure where this anomaly is rooted. It is not in contact with any heat producing components inside of the box.
Most likely a configuration issue. The ambient Phidgets are harvested only at start of the roast. If one has configured an Ambient Source channel with the popup in the Ambient Conditions line within the Roast Properties dialog, one can point Artisan to take the average over the readings of that channel on DROP. That might overwrite your temperature reading gathered by the Ambient Temperature Phidget. Just select the first (empty) entry from that popup.

Alaroast (original poster)

#27: Post by Alaroast (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

Marko, thanks, I'll take a look at all the settings and try to figure this one out.

chuckcoffee

#28: Post by chuckcoffee »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I have been trying to troubleshoot some "ghost" noise. But also have another issue of the RTDs that I bought to replace my TC's. They didn't have metal protection on the end and one has worn out. So in ordering replacements from Phidgets and going for the four wire this time, I did order their isolator. Also note they have a new Hub out which is supposed to have some isolation as well.

All arrives next Monday and I will let you know.
Michael, any update on the new Phidget HUB0001 and the isolator?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#29: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to chuckcoffee »

Didn't order the new Hub as I had not seen it. The noise is reduced but not gone. I am continuing to make some adjustments. I was using a line conditioner and next roast will be without that. Also still trying to clean up the faceplate a bit as you see in the Probe Rant thread. It's an amusing process.
Artisan.Plus User-