Artisan setup: Vint TMP1200 2xRTD - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#61: Post by Marcelnl »

Almico wrote:I don't think time to dry matters as much roasting to 207C. It's only when you want fairly light coffee and want to hedge you bet against underdevelopment.
Agree, I have not seen/tasted underdevelopment since I started using a 5KPa regulator.
LMWDP #483

Almico (original poster)

#62: Post by Almico (original poster) »

okmed wrote:It may be your needle valve not having enough capacity.
I fixed it. I was only getting 5.5"wc to the burner, but I had 12.2" coming in. There were 2 pressure regulators upstream from the safety control valve. I removed the 3-6"wc one and left the 7-11". No change in pressure.

What could be the bottleneck? Then I realized I used a 3/4 flexible hose to connect to the mains which was rated at 255,000 btu. I wanted the full 300,000, so I replaced it with black pipe. Still no change!

Since the roaster was spec'd to be able to handle 14", and all I had at the mains was 12.2", I pulled the other regulator out of the line and BAM!, 7.5"wc. I turned the regulator down on the safety control valve to 7" and we're golden. Can't wait to try roasting next week.

BTW, if you haven't had the chance to hear a 300,000 btu roaster burner on at full blast, you really need to add that to the bucket list. It is a religious experience.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#63: Post by Marcelnl »

Please make a video of it, I can imagine it's similar to the weed burner I bought a few years ago...it runs on Propane bottles and sounds like a hot air balloon burner, sooo satisfying to blast weed.
LMWDP #483

okmed

#64: Post by okmed »

Almico wrote: BTW, if you haven't had the chance to hear a 300,000 btu roaster burner on at full blast, you really need to add that to the bucket list. It is a religious experience.
Lol. You made me remember the first time I fired up a 1,500,000 btu boiler and took it from low fire to wide open. I can understand why you say "a religious experience ". :shock: :lol:

Almico (original poster)

#65: Post by Almico (original poster) »

The saga continues... I just received my RTD probes from phidget. The cables are only 3 feet long. Not much I can do with a 3 foot long temperature probe. Only had to wait a week,

Almico (original poster)

#66: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Made it work:

mkane
Supporter ♡

#67: Post by mkane »

MacGyver. Excellent

Advertisement
Almico (original poster)

#68: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Came in to roast today and all of a sudden I'm not getting an ET trace on my plotter.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#69: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Try what I said above, click the LCD for ET. Maybe you accidentally hid it.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico (original poster)

#70: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I didn't know clicking the lcd turns the trace on/off

Accidentally clicking it explains why it was off, but why is it off by default every time I start a new roast?