Artisan setup: Vint TMP1200 2xRTD - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico (original poster)

#51: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Still waiting for the new probes, but in the mean time I moved my other rig over from the 5kg roaster and got some roasts in.

I used (2) 15kg batches for warehouse sweeps to get a grip, then just went for it and did a roast of my house blend. The "for-real" roast got away a bit around 1C, but I tamed it before it was too late and the coffee was quite good, if not a few ticks darker than my normal roast...391* vs 388*.

This is a very different bird than its smaller cousin. It's hard to judge completely since I'm doing half-batches until demand catches up to capacity, but I'm confident of making it work.

Matching turnaround is proving to be elusive when attempting to hit both turnaround temp and time to dry.

My charge temps went from 415* to 380ish. But I don't have enough gas to get the roast back by the time I get to dry. I have 12.2" WC, but the roaster is only seeing 6" for some reason. There must be a bottleneck somewhere. The 7"-11" pressure regulator is maxed, as is the safety control valve on the roaster. San Fran says 7" is the goal, but I can't seem to get there...yet.

It was very nice roasting 132# of coffee in 1:15! It would have taken 6 hours on the 5kg.

Here's a few roasts with my old profiles in the background:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#52: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Alan I am glad you got this going. Just a new trick in Artisan that you may want to use is that you can click on an LCD or after a roast on the legend and hide curves that you don't need the moment. So for example if you find the ET curve distracting at some point it's now easy to hide them.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

chuckcoffee

#53: Post by chuckcoffee »

Almico wrote:Still waiting for the new probes, but in the mean time I moved my other rig over from the 5kg roaster and got some roasts in.

I used (2) 15kg batches for warehouse sweeps to get a grip, then just went for it and did a roast of my house blend. The "for-real" roast got away a bit around 1C, but I tamed it before it was too late and the coffee was quite good, if not a few ticks darker than my normal roast...391* vs 388*.

This is a very different bird than its smaller cousin. It's hard to judge completely since I'm doing half-batches until demand catches up to capacity, but I'm confident of making it work.

Matching turnaround is proving to be elusive when attempting to hit both turnaround temp and time to dry.

My charge temps went from 415* to 380ish. But I don't have enough gas to get the roast back by the time I get to dry. I have 12.2" WC, but the roaster is only seeing 6" for some reason. There must be a bottleneck somewhere. The 7"-11" pressure regulator is maxed, as is the safety control valve on the roaster. San Fran says 7" is the goal, but I can't seem to get there...yet.

It was very nice roasting 132# of coffee in 1:15! It would have taken 6 hours on the 5kg.

Here's a few roasts with my old profiles in the background:

Glad to see you overcame all those hurdles. Especially given your increase on output. Your insights are appreciated. Do you have color measurements for ground beans for either of those roasts? That would help provide context as the drop temps are so roaster specific. I am typically dropping at 417, but its a Huky. My FC is pretty consistent at 390 vs yours at 370.

Almico (original poster)

#54: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I target light roasts around 75, dark roast's around 50 On the Agtron gourmet scale

chuckcoffee

#55: Post by chuckcoffee »

I target light roasts around 75, dark roast's around 50 On the Agtron gourmet scale

Alan, that seems to line up with where I land. Dropping at 417 I typically see a Roast Vision Scale of around 14- 17 so about, 61-70 Agtron. I am targeting getting fruit flavors.

Marcelnl

#56: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm using a Huky too but my drop temp is typically at 207-208 , if I go to 213 I get vision of a cremation...our FC temp seems to line up nicely though.
I always thought drop temp would be fairly similar but apparently there is more variability then I thought.
LMWDP #483

Almico (original poster)

#57: Post by Almico (original poster) »

If you can get enough energy into the coffee to hit De in 4:30ish, don't be afraid to drop 15*F over 1C if you can get to 1:30+.

The secret with Rao's steadily declining ror is that in order to attain 1:30 @ 15* over 1C, you need to have a pretty extended Maillard to keep ror smooth. Running a fast ramp and then killing the heat in order to not get too hot will result in a crash.

Marcelnl

#58: Post by Marcelnl replying to Almico »

Was this for someone specific? (I can hit DE in under 4 min) I'm fine with the results dropping at 207-208'C.
LMWDP #483

Almico (original poster)

#59: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I don't think time to dry matters as much roasting to 207C. It's only when you want fairly light coffee and want to hedge you bet against underdevelopment.

okmed

#60: Post by okmed »

Almico wrote:My charge temps went from 415* to 380ish. But I don't have enough gas to get the roast back by the time I get to dry. I have 12.2" WC, but the roaster is only seeing 6" for some reason. There must be a bottleneck somewhere. The 7"-11" pressure regulator is maxed, as is the safety control valve on the roaster. San Fran says 7" is the goal, but I can't seem to get there...yet.
It may be your needle valve not having enough capacity.