Artisan - PID control - setting - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Knightey- (original poster)

#11: Post by Knightey- (original poster) »

Hello MaKomo ,

I have to confirm that your advice was helpful and now the machine is capable to keep the temperature and control it through the PID in the Artisan!
I tried two times warmup procedure yet:
  • 1) with the following background profile (it is not a good idea, because the BT curve in the profile isn't smooth enough and for the PID is it not good. And anyway, after 16 minutes it automatically put DROP and stops the PID - don't know why yet)
  • 2) just create a RAMP/SOAK profile and follow this. There I am missing some information about the remaining time on the main screen. Because I am not able to see how long does it take for the current temperature (no matter if it is for the RAMP or the SOAK).

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

I use the ramp/soak feature for initial warmup and between batch protocols. On my computer it shows the current step (temp/time) above the upper left of the graph. Not sure if this is what you're referring too.

P.S. the reason why Marko knows so much is because he wrote the software. 8)

#13: Post by Knightey- (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:I use the ramp/soak feature for initial warmup and between batch protocols. On my computer it shows the current step (temp/time) above the upper left of the graph. Not sure if this is what you're referring too.
Do you mean this one?

P.S. the reason why Marko knows so much is because he wrote the software. 8)
Now I understand!

But for BBP you have to increase AIR to get heat out of the machine, isn't it?
How you are able to control the PID?
Could you please share pictures with me of your setup?

#14: Post by Knightey- (original poster) »

For example here, after warm-up, I need to decrease the BT within a certain time limit.
Without increasing the AIR I am not able to achieve this. So I am wondering if the artisan PID could do the similar what I had to do manually? (red circle).

Next point is - why sometimes I can see the event from Artisan regarding the GAS setting and sometimes don't? (green circle)

The next point is the communications issues between Artisan SW and the Siemens S7 PLC.
After MANUAL PID control of the BT which I adjust on the SV slider, after some time (about 5 min of working the PID) I get this kind of error:
S7 Communication Error writeFloat: [Errno 24] Too many open files: 'nul'@line 404

When I tried to stop (OFF button) and run again (Start and ON buttons) I got another error like this:
S7 Communication Error readFloat(5,94,26,False): [Errno 24] Too many open files: 'nul'@line 516

Where I can get info, what these errors mean?
Only what worked, I had to turn off the whole Artisan SW and turn it on again.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Brewzologist »

Knightey- wrote:Do you mean this one?
yes.
Knightey- wrote: But for BBP you have to increase AIR to get heat out of the machine, isn't it?
How you are able to control the PID?
Could you please share pictures with me of your setup?
Correct. When running PID for warmup or BPP I always have the fan running at a low speed to remove heat from the roaster so that gas changes alone are needed by the PID. (see image). I don't actually use a hardware PID and only use Artisan's software PID with custom software/hardware that controls the gas/fan on my roaster.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Brewzologist »

Knightey- wrote: Next point is - why sometimes I can see the event from Artisan regarding the GAS setting and sometimes don't? (green circle)
Is this graph of your warmup/BBP under PID control? When I use PID for warmup/BBP I don't graph anything and just refer to the LCD's and current step info. So I can't say why you don't always see events except that under PID control they may be happening at too high a frequency? Or your time scale settings are setup such they may be hidden? Sorry, can't help much here.

Also, as mentioned I am not using a hardware PID. I only use Artisan's software PID so unfortunately I cannot provide any guidance on the errors you are seeing.