Artisan Modbus Communication Error

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Shawnaks5 »

I'm having an issue with Artisan Roasting Software and I'm not sure who to contact. I have a San Franciscan SF-6. When I start a roast.... in the top left of the screen in Artisan, it says "modbus communication error" and I never see the roast curve. It's like Artisan will not communicate with my roaster all of a sudden. I have the latest version of Artisan installed and the latest version of MAC OS installed (I wonder if Artisan isn't liking Mac OS 12 Monterey). It seemed to happen after I upgraded my Mac Software to Monterey. It's been working fine for months, but all of a sudden last night the error happened.

I have a "USB to RS-485/422 Isolated Converter" (USB-ISO-485) on the roaster. I searched HB for this issue and found a couple threads, but I don't really understand them. I'm not a programmer.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I've already emailed San Franciscan, messaged Artisan on Instagram, and emailed Serial Comm, the manufacturer of the Converter. I haven't heard back from anyone yet. Just thought I'd reach out here as well.

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo replying to Shawnaks5 »

Most likely the installed driver for your RS485 converter is not compatible with macOS 12.x. There might be an update available. Did you check?

Shawnaks5 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Shawnaks5 (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

Thanks for the response! Yes I checked. It looks like the latest driver is from May 18 2021. This could be the problem. Not sure what to do from here other than try and revert my Mac Software to the previous version.

srosemer

#4: Post by srosemer »

I'm having the same problem. I'm able to connect to the roaster through the bluetooth, but I get MODBUS errors when I turn on the roaster scope in Artisan. I updated both the MODBUS drivers and Artisan and I tried all combinations of baud rates and other configuration settings for the port within Artisan but was unable to get it to work. Then I plugged via USB and had no troubles. I also found that it works fine with the wireless USB dongle that came with my roaster (probably bluetooth but connected to my computer via USB).

My advice for now is to either connect direct via USB or get a MODBUS USB dongle - both of those work. I suspect that we'll see a patch in the coming months as more people complain to our respective roaster manufacturers.

srosemer

#5: Post by srosemer »

I'm having the same problem. I'm able to connect to the roaster through the bluetooth, but I get MODBUS errors when I turn on the roaster scope in Artisan. I updated both the MODBUS drivers and Artisan and I tried all combinations of baud rates and other configuration settings for the port within Artisan but was unable to get it to work. Then I plugged via USB and had no troubles. I also found that it works fine with the wireless USB dongle that came with my roaster (probably bluetooth but connected to my computer via USB).

My advice for now is to either connect direct via USB or get a MODBUS USB dongle - both of those work. I suspect that we'll see a patch in the coming months as more people complain to our respective roaster manufacturers.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to srosemer »

Can everyone be very very specific here if you want to get help?

What driver does your machine require?

See this page
https://artisan-scope.org/modbus_serial/

That page lists the driver for the CP210X for the Buckeye. (Note you didn't even mention your roaster, I had to look at your profile)

That driver was updated on Oct 26, 2021.

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public ... _Notes.txt

Note is specifically says for a Mac:

Mount the DMG file and double click on
Silicon Labs VCP Driver.
On MacOS 10.13 and later, the installation of the driver may be blocked.
To unblock, open the System Preferences Security & Privacy pane and
unblock the system extension. See Apple Technical Note TN2459
"User-Approved Kernel Extension Loading" for more information.

Did you do this?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

After further looking it seems to me that the FTDI driver hasn't been updated and that is likely the issue for roasters such as the SF6 that require that driver. I think the solution is the wireless USB dongle mentioned above. I am not sure what @srosemer meant when he said he plugged via USB?? Or revert your Mac to an earlier OS.
Artisan.Plus User-

MaKoMo

#8: Post by MaKoMo »

Never install an FTDI driver on a modern macOS. FTDI support is already build-in and installing the FTDI software might produce conflict with Apples FTDI driver. Also on current Windows and Linux systems FTDI support is on-board by default.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to MaKoMo »

I don't see how Apple can have support in Monterey when FDTI hasn't had a signed Apple driver in over two years? Even Mac OS X10.15 and macOS 11 are in beta by FDTI so that leaves one to wonder? I think the roasters with FDTI chips might have continuous issues. I am guessing they won't get support from the roaster manufacturer.
Artisan.Plus User-

MaKoMo

#10: Post by MaKoMo replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

As I tried to communicate before. Serial driver support for devices with FTDI chips is build into all current macOS, Windows and Linux OS versions (at least since 2-3 years). Those that write the operating systems and the device driver infrastructure of those systems are quite good in writing drivers for their own systems especially for such simple protocols as the one of FTDI. FTDI obviously not.

So there is no need to install anything additionally for communicating with standard FTDI-based hardware. The additional driver that FTDI offers for some systems is a driver with some additional features for specific hard-/software, but not needed (or in case of macOS even contra-productive) for simple serial2USB converters as used to communicate with the roaster hardware.