Artisan Getting Started Guide - Collaboration Welcome - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#61: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

The Getting Started Guide has been renamed the Quick Start Guide and is now on the web at.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/quick-start-guide/
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

drgary
Team HB

#62: Post by drgary »

Michael:

Following up on communication we just had offline, let me suggest some instructions for the use of Designer. When I first tried Designer I gave up because I couldn't seem to control the profile lines to get anything close to what a profile looks on my roaster. I eventually figured out that the way to do this is to add data points and drag the profile line into place by grabbing one point at a time to adjust it. Also I found that even if I imported a profile into Designer that I had actually roasted, the curves in Designer did not now correspond with the original profile. Designer extrapolates the curve from recorded Events in the profile.

It imports into Artisan by selecting from the top menu, Tools --> Designer. Designer warns you that you'll get something different.

And the result is certainly different.

The only way to get the curve close to the original, reflecting the performance of your roaster, is to right click on the curve to add a point, giving this menu.

After adding points and moving them around, you can design your intended profile, including manipulating the ROR curve, which only happens as a result of changes made in the BT curve you design. But then you must deselect the Designer tool to save the profile as you would any other. It can then be loaded into the background and used to guide an intended roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#63: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Great post. I updated the Quick Start Guide for it.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/designer/
Artisan.Plus User-

Tonefish

#64: Post by Tonefish replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Thanks Gary and Michael for the designer update for the ever-growing (aka Evergreening) awesome guide. I've been trying to figure out this tool but never got to save it (and unlock other key clues associated with that) until the great hint here on deselecting the designer tool. Honestly though I had never looked into this much in the existing documentation ... still trying to understand my roaster along with Artisan.

I was also puzzled as to needing more points because they seem to work like a typical spline tool and I was always able to move them were I needed to to enable following the BT curve pretty well. In fact, I had found that if anything I had too many points given, versus not enough. Then I learned about the kicker Gary alluded to in the original provided designer curve in that those starting points are associated with events (they are never labelled as such until you turn off the designer). Once I turned off the designer tool for the first time I realized I had not just been moving points around, but rather events, and as soon as I realized that trying to correct those events in the table would really goof things up even more, I realized that the other key point is that you really need to leave those events where they are (or make the slight moves to where you want) and add the points in between. So now I understand why points needed to be added, and how to unlock more designer capabilities. Thank you both again for that!!

If I understand this correctly now(?), I had one minor suggested modification to the guide that would be a slight additional wording as follows (I put the changes in bold italics just to make them easier for you to find):

The only way to get the curve close to the original, reflecting the performance of your roaster, is to first be sure that the event associated points that are given are where you want them, and then in-between those points, right click on the curve to add a point, giving this menu.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think I missed something, please let me know, and/or ignore this completely :)

Thanks again for your hard work and the continual unveiling of meaning.

Happy Roasts!!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

#65: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Thanks Jim,

More Evergreening to come. Edit made. If people come up with other suggestions or ideas for any aspect of the Quick Start Guide let me know.
Artisan.Plus User-

#66: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Please see

I made some further edits to reflect

Config dialog box to add key events
Sliding the vertical dashed lines to move those events
Noting that hovering over the Phases bar brings you data on the phases.

If you want to suggest even more edits, they are welcome.
Artisan.Plus User-

drgary
Team HB

#67: Post by drgary »

Michael, here are more screen shots you might want to include in the Designer section:

Here I hover the cursor over the curve and right click to add a point in between previously imported event points.

That pops up a window showing where I'm adding the point.

The next screen shows the point added.

Left clicking over the point while holding my finger on my Mac touchpad allows me to drag it upward, adjusting the BT curve and the ROR curve along with it. (I am unable to capture the look of the Grab icon that's like a tiny hand because creating the screen shot changes the cursor control.)

The process of creating a realistic curve for my roaster involved inserting another "in-between" point after where turning point was marked and dragging that point upward until the curve actually rises after TP. In this next screen shot you'll see that I haven't yet completely designed my curve, but the TP has been corrected.

FWIW here's a new curve I can load in background that includes adjusting some of the roast parameters for this coffee.

Gary
LMWDP#308

Tonefish

#68: Post by Tonefish »

Doesn't the RoR in that last curve look off? Have you ever had peak RoR at drying end past 0500 into the roast? It should start being above zero at turning point like all the other ones and start its way down near there. I think you might have demonstrated a bug. This is a really odd profile though, probably even errant with that kick and dip between 4:30 and 5:30?

Gary, I'm curious if you were wanting the original RoR the way it is? It almost looked to me that you realized the RoR was dropping too fast and that you did a correction bumping the gas to get up to a new plateau to start from (or was that the time I recall IIRC you mentioning you ran out of gas and had to quickly change the bottle?). Was that intentional or a correction to something you wanted to be different? If it is a correction, I think it is a good example of the way you might use the designer to flatten that part out to have a guide the next time. If we have a good roast we can just use that in the background the next time, so we wouldn't use designer, right?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

#69: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

New edits made at the QSG page on Designer.

These add some of Gary's screenshots and explain the negative ROR in Dry and how to include the coffee name if you import a coffee.
Artisan.Plus User-

drgary
Team HB

#70: Post by drgary »

@ Jim, the original roast wasn't bad, certainly not running out of propane. You see me experimenting with Designer and its wiggly rendering of the BT curve that extrapolates to ROR. I'm trying to make suggestions for adding instructions to the Quick Start Guide. Hopefully as my and others' use if Designer gets better curves they can replace these.

What I'm hoping is to use Designer to create a background curve so I can shape a mediocre roast into a much better one with fewer trials in between.
Gary
LMWDP#308