Artisan designer - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mkane (original poster) »

And this roast fewer issues? Sorry about taking up space with so many questions. Mabey I won't be the only one getting something from this.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Mike,
thanks for keeping at it. First suggestion is move the boxes to the left as the analysis area is on the right. See the lighter whitish areas. You still have some long swing times and your avg ABC is over 1 for two periods which means you are straying from the ideal curve.

Below is one roast that I did with the analysis using curve smoothing of 4 and one. That way you can see the difference. Notice the lighter area on the right. You want to be able to see your curve and the segments. After using this a bit I think you really want to have your MSE BT under .1 and ave ABCs of 1 or even lower. Everyone's roaster is different and taste is different.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mkane (original poster) »

A different pic with info moved. I still need to figure out what adjustments to make to straighten things out. Machine is very sensitive to adjustments with the 1.6mm probes.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Next I should try more gas adjustments, little bit at a time. This will have to wait until tomorrow. Also, roasting in the cold is a bit different.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mkane (original poster) »

This was my last roast yesterday. Started out nice and got away. I was multitasking, working on my wife's outdoor bathtub. She's happy but darn, something that seems so easy can be very difficult. Roasting coffee isn't for the faint of heart. High heat high air, low heat, low air? If I go back to fat TC's I'll kidding myself. Still struggling with delta spans & smoothing. I'll keep at it.

Almico

#16: Post by Almico »

mkane wrote: image

Should I add some smoothing? thanks
You don't want to add smoothing. Better to find out why your BT RoR is all over the map first. Smoothing is like putting a bandage on an infection.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mkane (original poster) »

More reading and found an article on probes. Mine are 1.6mm. I just replaced the BT probe with the one that came with the roaster. It's fat but let's see what happens. I'll try and break away from honey do's and get in a few roasts today.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Changes in TC did this.

Almico

#19: Post by Almico »

That's much better. I know the fad is for the fastest probes possible, but too fast is just as bad as too slow. The point is to get your thermometry to give you as useful information as possible in order to analyze and repeat roasts. I find setting Artisan up as fast as it will go and then slowing things down at the probe to be a better solution then trying to tame all the noise.

Once you have a probe you like, the trick is to play with all the settings available in Artisan (except smoothing) to get it to work at its best.

What is your Delta span set to?

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Let me check...........ROR smoothing is at 12, delta span @ 1 because this new Artisan 2.1.2 won't let me go lower. Curve filter 0. Nothing checked on input filter either.

One things the fat TC has done is my tp temp now doesn't go down to 140° making it easier to head for 212° @ 2:40 sec. This is becoming much more satisfying and should translate in the cup.

Here's another roast. Not in control by no means but most of the spikeyness is absent.