Artisan and Phidget hub5000 and 2x TMP1100_0

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
henkbean

#1: Post by henkbean »

Hi there,

Is there anybody out there (it could be a great Fleetwood Mac song)?

I'm new to Artisan and new to Phidgets. I've connected the Vint5000 hub and the TMP1100_0 (x2), installed the latest v22 driver, and can see it's reading data under the Phidget Control Panel.

I wonder if anyone can explain how I configure things properly in Artisan.

Appreciate the feedback.

Henk

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

henkbean (original poster)

#3: Post by henkbean (original poster) »

Thank you. I did read a fair amount. Obviously the exact phidget models are not stated in Artisan under 'machines'. I'm thinking I can use a similar machine setup?

Anyway, all I'm after for now is to at least see the BT/ET readings working when I press 'ON'. Somehow I can't get that to work yet. Once this is working I'm of course very happy to read more detail to learn more.

So any pointer to get the Artisan to work with my setup in the most basic way is more then welcome.

Cheers

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

for the phidgets you need to install a widget (phidget control panel) after that I have no clue either as you'll need to instruct Artisan how to find the data in this particular case where a predefined profile (machine) does not (yet) exist, but Marko likely has this covered already.

Artisian 2.0.0 , Phidgets Wireless VINT Hub, 4X TMP1101

otherwise you need to wait for Marko (MaKoMo) or Michael (Carefreebuzzbuzz)
LMWDP #483

#5: Post by henkbean (original poster) »

Thnx. I've got the control panel working and double clicking the TCs shows temp readings.

So it must be a Artisan config setting I'm missing.
How can I get with Marko or Michael?

I read somewhere that one needs to close the control panel before starting artisan. Have tried that but still no temp showing in Artisan.

#6: Post by henkbean (original poster) »

UPDATE:
Success. Artisan is reading BT/ET temps. Turns out that in Artisan under Config>Device under the Phidget tab I had to tick 'network' (bottom left).

Thanks for the messages. After owning a Quest M3 for 10 years I'm finally ready to track what I'm doing. :D

MaKoMo

#7: Post by MaKoMo »

Henk,

in a first step you need to tell Artisan to look for Phidgets on a remote host/hub. Tick the "Network" flag in the last row of the Phidgets tab (menu Config >> Device, 4th tab "Phidgets").

Second, you need to tell Artisan which modules it should look for. As I understand you have two Phidget TMP1100 1xTC devices with one to read BT and another one to read ET. Devices in Artisan are assumed to deliver 2 channels but your TMP1100 is only delivering one. So you have to use an extra device entry to harvest your the second module and "re-wire" its data stream back to the second main device channel. Choose "Meter" and select "Phidget TMP1100 1xTC" as your main device (menu Config >> Device, 1st tab ET/BT) to have one of your modules to harvest your BT signal.

Now choose tab "Extra Devices" in the same dialog and add one extra device and choose as device type again "TMP1100 1xTC" for your second module. You can untick LCD and curve for this devices 2nd channel as the TMP1100 will only return one signal. Untick also LCD and curve for the first channel of this extra device as we will remap it to the main devices ET channel and do not need to see this data twice.

Map the data of this first extra device channel to ET by adding "Y3" as symbolic formula in the field "ET Y(x)" of the "Symb ET/BT" (2nd tab in the same dialog) to refer to the ET data stream of your second module via the symbolic variable "Y3" (see the explanation of symbolic formulas on the Artisan blog and the help dialog in this tab).

The above assumes that the automatic discovery of your network Phidget hub works on your platform (tested on macOS, but might not work on Linux and Windows without additional software installation). In case Artisan cannot find your hub and its attached Phidgets you might need to also specify the host name of your wireless hub in the Phidget tab next to the network flag. You find the correct name to put in the Phidgets Control Panel.

In this case it is
hub5000.local
which should be the default.

Note that the restriction of only one app to access the Phidget modules does not hold for such a networked setup. Any number of client apps, like Artisan or the Phidget Control Panel can access networked Phidget resources in parallel.

#8: Post by henkbean (original poster) »

Hi Marko,

Thanks for this. Forgive my ignorance. I ticked network and both BT and ET are now working in Artisan. So both temps are showing data, and that's without me having added the extra device. Should I still add the extra device as per your instructions ?

Btw you're correct that Artisan reads temps in combination with the control panel being open.

#9: Post by henkbean (original poster) »

Hi again Marko,

1. I decided to add the extra device as per your instructions. However I note that the ET temp readings in Artisan became approx 3 degrees Celsius different from what the ET thermocouple was showing under the Phidget Control Panel.

2. I then reverted back to how I had it working just before. So under Config>Device I've selected the TMP1100 but I have not added an extra device. Both BT and ET temp readings are now similar to the temps under the Phidget Control Panel.

Should I therefore stick to bullet point 2. Or is there still a reason why you described the steps related to adding the extra device?

MaKoMo

#10: Post by MaKoMo replying to henkbean »

If you connect 2 one-channel Phidget 1100 modules and only use the main device without the extra device defined to read the second module, you will see two values, but both coming from the same probe. Your second probes signal is not read. The device type "Phidget TMP1100 1x" does what its name states, it reads one channel from one module. That signal is feed into both device channels (for the main device those are ET and BT). Your second module is not harvested at all in this configuration.