Artisan and Phidget 1048 Help

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bluejeep

#1: Post by bluejeep »

Hello! I recently purchased a used Mill City 1kg roaster and am in the process of setting it up. It came with the Phidget 1048_0. I have installed the latest Phidget driver and Artisan 2.8.4. When I connect the Phidget to my computer and start Artisan it is reading the temperatures for the BT and ET. Then after a few minutes it stops and displays "Phidget Temperature Sensor 4-input detached". If I quit Artisan and immediately open it back up, it does the same thing- shows temperature readings but eventually stops and displays that message. Any ideas on what might be the cause of this? I am using a MacBook Pro and with MacOS Ventura 13.2.1. I am attaching screenshots of the temps working, and then the disconnect message, as well as screenshots showing my setup. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

You can't have the Phidgets control panel and Artisan open at the same time. Not sure if you did. Also check for loose wires.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

bluejeep (original poster)

#3: Post by bluejeep (original poster) »

I didn't have the Phidget control panel and Artisan open at the same time. The wires are all connected well. I feel like it's on the Artisan side of things because it doesn't loose connection in the Phidget control panel but I may definitely be wrong.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane replying to bluejeep »

Try reversing the wires. I've had this happen but the fix escapes me. Click control

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

You have a communication issue between the Phidget hardware and its driver. First, install the latest Phidget driver. Next install the latest firmware for your Phidget. Next verify that you have a quality and short USB cable with a ferrite which routed away from any motors and the gas ignitor. Read https://www.phidgets.com/docs21/Address ... h_Phidgets

If you still have issues, contact Phidgets.

billsey

#6: Post by billsey »

Is it happening only when the roaster is running or any time? You might be picking up electrical noise on the communication line between the computer and Phidget.

#7: Post by bluejeep (original poster) »

It happens if the roaster is on or off. I have tried it both ways. It has occurred even with the roaster unplugged. I've made sure I have the most recent drivers and firmware. My computer is unplugged and has nothing running in the background. Tomorrow I am going to try using my wife's laptop bc it's running macOS Monterrey instead of Ventura. Not sure that would even matter but I'm curious. I'm wondering if it's the Phidget itself.

SJM

#8: Post by SJM »

MaKoMo wrote:You have a communication issue between the Phidget hardware and its driver. First, install the latest Phidget driver. Next install the latest firmware for your Phidget. Next verify that you have a quality and short USB cable with a ferrite which routed away from any motors and the gas ignitor. Read https://www.phidgets.com/docs21/Address ... h_Phidgets

If you still have issues, contact Phidgets.
What did you find when you followed Marko's directions?

#9: Post by bluejeep (original poster) replying to SJM »

It still randomly disconnects after checking all of that. I tested it earlier on my wife's Mac that is still on Monterey and it worked without ever disconnecting. I switched to my computer again with macOS Ventura to make sure it wasn't a fluke and within a few seconds it disconnected. So I'm planning on just using my wife's computer for now. Not sure if it's the Phidget since it's 1048_0 instead of the newer 1048_2.

gscace

#10: Post by gscace »

Any reason to use Artisan vs. Mill City's Roastpath? I'm asking because I too have a new Mill City 1 kg roaster and I'm just learning how to use it. I've been using Roastpath.

-Greg