Artisan 2.4.6 released with Sweet Marias as our inaugural Sponsor - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AssafL

#11: Post by AssafL »

happycat wrote:Just a data point for you from a former user.

I used Artisan for many years until my MacOS became obsolete. I was surprised that seemingly old versions of Windows and Linux glib are required but MacOS requirements keep advancing and my laptop has not been suitable for MacOS updates for years.

I guess I could do a linux usb stick, but I switched to roastlogger (a java app) a few years ago instead.

The laptop's abilities remain the same but some continual upgrading of dependencies has left it behind.
3 apartment owners, one living in a Windows flat, another in a MacOS one and the third in a Linux flat all had lightbulbs that needed replaced. They all get to work.

A few minutes pass and the Windows and MacOS owners meet up. We're you able to replace the bulb?

The Windows owner says yes, in fact I did. But now the toilet won't flush. What about you?

No, says the MacOS owner. Can't be done. Have to replace the house.

After a few hours, the concerned owners seek out the Linux owner, and find him sitting on the floor with a pile of components. What are you doing? They ask.

Well you don't expect the bulb to build itself - do you?

I have a 17" 32 bit MacOS I can't bring myself to dump.
Useless piece of garbage. It is in fact every bit as gorgeous as it is useless. The perfectly smooth aluminium body makes it useless as a door stop or a technological paperweight. It just slides away.

Could not get any 32 bit Linux build to run on it.

Maybe I should do a YouTube video dropping it from a plane, driving over it, or blowing it up a-la "The Good Fight" opening credits.

Same year Lenovo runs Windows 10 (slowly) but can be used as a browser or to run a terminal or DNS.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

happycat

#12: Post by happycat »

AssafL wrote: Maybe I should do a YouTube video dropping it from a plane, driving over it, or blowing it up a-la "The Good Fight" opening credits.

Same year Lenovo runs Windows 10 (slowly) but can be used as a browser or to run a terminal or DNS.
Well, I hope that venting was cathartic for you. The 2011 mac still runs fine with R statistics, MS Office, roastlogger on java etc. The issue is Artisan dependencies.
LMWDP #603

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Hmm, per MS for Office 365, so even the big boys don't keep up with the older versions.

Operating system

Windows OS: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016

macOS: One of the three most recent versions of macOS. When a new major version of macOS is released, the macOS and the previous two versions.

Even so on my 2011 Mac it is still going strong - originally was used by my son in school, then I got it for roasting, and now our granddaughter has it and loves it. I did put it an SDD and more memory when I got it, but the value has been there for us.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

AssafL

#14: Post by AssafL »

happycat wrote:Well, I hope that venting was cathartic for you. The 2011 mac still runs fine with R statistics, MS Office, roastlogger on java etc. The issue is Artisan dependencies.
Not a vent. Actually amused that such a perfect device is wholly and utterly useless. Even Chrome (which one can find back versions) complains and warns wanting to upgrade. It is the nature of the game of technology - but as a laptop it looks new.

Hmmm - this guy converted his Mac to a pi book: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... i-project If ever I get some spare time that would be a nice project. Better than the original.

beanman

#15: Post by beanman »

Stupid question - do all of my settings transfer automatically to the new version when I install the upgrade (Windows 10)?
I started the install process, and the install wizard said it would first remove the old version, then install version 2.4.6.
So I cancelled.
If I need to manually enter all of my settings, I'll take snippets of them before installing the upgrade.

zeece

#16: Post by zeece replying to beanman »

Your settings will be preserved!

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to save your settings to a file in the event you ever need to restore them. You never know when you might make a change and then decide you want to go back to the previous settings. Use the menu Help>> Save Settings and save to a file name that is descriptive so you can restore it later. The file suffix for settings files is ".aset".

SAS
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by SAS »

Hmmm - this guy converted his Mac to a pi book: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... i-project If ever I get some spare time that would be a nice project. Better than the original.
by
Assaf you are the Linux man! :D (He has an electronics workshop in his apartment.)

I'm a bit late to this discussion; out backpacking this week.

Speaking of Linux
I bought a used Kano Kit Complete and installed Ubuntu on it. The kit comes with a Raspberry 3B modified to Kano specs; no Ethernet port, a 10 inch touch screen, keyboard with touchpad, and you can add a mouse. Replace the Kano Micro SD card containing the kids Kano OS, and with Raspberry Ubuntu OS on a different 16 GIG SD card. Install Artisan and the Phidgets driver, (the Linux commands were a bit challenging for me after not using DOS commands for several decades :? ), and you are ready to roast.

I also bought a Raspberry Pi 4B and replaced the Pi 3 from the Kano Kit with it just to see if I could use the touch screen and keyboard with it. It runs fine. The 4B has Ethernet ports and more memory. Extra memory isn't needed on an Artisan dedicated system.

On my SF-1 roaster, the black box on the front left of the roaster contains a superfluous PID that is just used to display bean temperature. I hid the Phidgets 1048 thermocouple reader inside and ran the thermocouple wires in, and the USB wire out the back. If I remove the PID there is enough room to hide the Raspberry Pi 4b inside too. A future project.

Currently I use an old Surface Pro3 with Ubuntu running Artisan. Installing everything on it was simpler. The GUI took care of both installs with no Linux commands required.

If one dedicates an old Windows laptop to Artisan avoids updating the OS, and stays off WIFI and Ethernet you could run Artisan until the laptop dies.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Chert

#18: Post by Chert »

Cool beans!
LMWDP #198

AssafL

#19: Post by AssafL »

Fantastic setup!

happycat

#20: Post by happycat »

AssafL wrote:Not a vent. Actually amused that such a perfect device is wholly and utterly useless. Even Chrome (which one can find back versions) complains and warns wanting to upgrade. It is the nature of the game of technology - but as a laptop it looks new.
I suppose you're right
AssafL wrote:Hmmm - this guy converted his Mac to a pi book: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... i-project If ever I get some spare time that would be a nice project. Better than the original.
That's cool.

I ran roastlogger java jar on an orange pi controlled by an ipad for awhile until I dropped the orange pi and the wifi died.

I would like to move back to Artisan. Probably have to use my wife's Dell PC :(
LMWDP #603