Anyone use a Huky and Cormorant?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Hey there everyone - hoping someone can chime in about a huky vs cormorant.
I've had my huky for 3 years, roast weekly and am happy with the results overall. What I'm not thrilled with is the chaff management. Maybe I'm just lazy, but am tired of pulling apart the exhaust apparatus between each roast and emptying. I also roast quite light and would like to pull more chaff prior to dropping.

Thanks!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Never used a Huky but the Cormorant chaff collector is pretty slick. Slides right out from the rear of the base. Quite large also so you can do several roasts back to back without having to dump it.
LMWDP 267

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

add a cyclone?

I have one waiting to tinker around with but it should work wonders for keeping a nice flow from batch to batch.
LMWDP #483

bicktrav

#4: Post by bicktrav »

I've also got a Huky and agree that it's weakness is chaff management, but it's such a ridiculously good roaster in every other way that I wouldn't consider anything else in its size range. The Cormorant does look great, though.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by hankua »

The first Huky300 and Huky500 was set up using one fan for roasting and cooling, had a shorter U-pipe in the front. When it was time to drop; remove the pipe (with gloves), empty the chaff tray, put a clean tray back, and release the roast. Chaff collection ended up being compromised by design elements.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Brewzologist »

Jasper; As you've experienced, the chaff/exhaust mechanism is one of the weak points of the Huky design, and many have engineered alternate solutions. If you are otherwise happy with your Huky, you might want to consider this option, and here's a recent thread with links to other ones too:

Cyclone Chaff Collector and Fan Setup -Huky 500

Cormorant also appears to be an excellent solution, but you should inquire on lead times if that is a factor in your decision, as it may take awhile from what I've read in the past here on HB.

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#7: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies!
I have thought about a cyclone and have read many of the threads regarding building one over the last few years. The issue for me is that I have a smaller space to roast in and would like to have a more compact setup relative to huky. I'm not interested in electric roasters, so other than jumping up to a MC or BC, the cormorant seems to be a good solution, although the roasting capabilities (other than chaff collection) appears to be quite similar.
Just for background, I typically roast weekly and like to roast ~ 350 g per charge. I usually roast 3-4 batches Per session so I have a variety of beans to use throughout the week.
Regarding lag time for the cormorant, I'm really not in any hurry as I'm fine using the huky for as long as needed.
I don't know, maybe not a huge upgrade (likely more parallel) but just curious if anyone has used both...