Anyone else roasting Costa Rica Tarrazu La Minita? - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by mkane »

Our roasts are very close on paper Michael.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by Milligan »

After a few days of rest, it does make a nice cup of coffee. Out of a lot of 6 different coffees my wife and friend (who only orders from specialty roasters) liked the Tarrazu the most. We had an informal tasting and it came up the most liked by them. I enjoyed a light Sidamo the most.

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#43: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

mkane wrote:Our roasts are very close on paper Michael.
And do you like it?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by mkane »

Having a cup now. It's aged well.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#45: Post by Milligan »

A heads up... Matt at Happy Mug said they will be getting in a Costa Rica La Gladiola this week that is very similar to La Minita for anyone interested. He said it is grown and exported by the same people in the same area. I'll grab a few pounds when it pops up.

Mbb

#46: Post by Mbb »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:F**king Chocolate Milk was my reaction this morning. I stopped in the hallway to savor and both Hooligan Bengals reminded me to move along it was time to eat.

1.54 development
16.9 after FCs

Yep, I used to get roast that were so sweet without a hint of bitterness that you could actually drink it like hot chocolate

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by Brewzologist »

Thanks to Michael (CarefreeBuzzBuzz) for recommending this coffee! Purchased recently from Roastmasters and roasted for the first time below. Roasts easy and quite a nice cup. Balanced, clean, low acidity, and yes "milk chocolate" is a good descriptor! :D

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#48: Post by Milligan »

Yes, it is a very easy roasting coffee without any negative tastes. My only reservations with it is that it isn't a complex coffee. My wife absolutely adores it though. She likes the clean, balanced, and sweet qualities. I recently blended it 2/3 Tarrazu La Minita with 1/3 Costa Rican La Pastora Natural (from happy mug) post roast. It made for an interesting "SO" blend.

PS: Wow roastmasters is pricey :shock:

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by Brewzologist »

Don't have much experience with Costa Rican coffee, but I wouldn't think of complexity as a hallmark of it, and would look to other geographies (in my deep freezer 8)) for that characteristic. Am I wrong here? And yes, RoastMasters isn't cheap but I've always been pleased with their quality and I'm roasting small enough amounts I can afford to indulge.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#50: Post by Milligan »

Brewzologist wrote:Don't have much experience with Costa Rican coffee, but I wouldn't think of complexity as a hallmark of it, and would look to other geographies (in my deep freezer) for that. Am I wrong here?

And yes, RoastMasters isn't cheap but I've always been pleased with their quality and I'm roasting small enough amounts I can afford to undulge... 8)
Oh no, you are correct about complexity. I do really enjoy many of the Costa Rican coffees for their clarity and balance, which seems to be a through line of all washed CRs that I've had so far. IMO they are fantastic for an everyday drinking coffee and I've been playing with them for my base in blends due to how balanced and widely pleasing the majority I've found have been (and a bit cheaper on the wholesale side compared to more well known regions of the same quality.)

I picked up a natural Costa Rican to see what they had to offer and was pleased but am still profiling it. It hasn't been as on-the-nose fruity or floral as an Ethiopian or some natural Colombians are but that seems to be a benefit to some that I've presented it to that typically balk at naturals. I can speak a bit more to the natural Costa Ricans once I've had more time with this one.