Anyone else enjoy an "old school" dark roasted sulawesi? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dhdhk (original poster)

#11: Post by dhdhk (original poster) »

Almico wrote:This is my roast template for this coffee. Note the thermal gymnastics required to maintain a "Rao-like" ROR. Definitely not a Rao approved roasting plan, but it works. This yields an Agtron Gourmet number of 50. That's as dark as I roast any coffee.

ive tried that with some success as well. Whack the heat way up just before 1C, then pull it all the way down.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

Here's an example of the gas dip approach that worked for a challenging washed Sumatran:

Almico

#13: Post by Almico »

tyreroller wrote:Let me guess.. your indonesian coffee must be washed process...
Wet-hulled.
Brewzologist wrote:Here's an example of the gas dip approach that worked for a challenging washed Sumatran:
I normally drop my heat to 18-20% (2-2.25"WC) about 45s before 1C. With this coffee I drop it to 1.5, similar to a gas dip. It's a common misconception that crashes occur due to too little heat before 1C...it is the opposite.

Next time you roast this coffee, do the same gas dip but then kick the heat up as high as it will go for 10s and see if you can flatted that RoR. Unfortunately, if you wait until the RoR comes up it will likely be too late to turn it back down and it will flick big-time. It's just trial an error to see how long you need to bump the heat to level things out. Worth the effort though.

tyreroller

#14: Post by tyreroller »

Almico wrote:Wet-hulled.
Semiwash they called here in Indonesia