Anaerobic natural coffees - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by yakster »

I noticed Kat Melheim (Writer, Coffee education & consulting, Part-time @blackwhiteroasters) shared an Instagram post about anaerobic coffees at first crack hinting at frustration at controlling ROR thereafter that inspired some interesting discussion in the comments. So far I've resisted trying these coffees.

She's also posing photos with roast profile info for different anaerobic coffees on a Loring 15k her feed which might be interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/roasterkat/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Chert

#92: Post by Chert »

I'll see what they have to say in there. Thanks for the tip.

Whatever heat you deliver initially in the roast, once the first crack comes, these coffees seem to run away without a gentle approach to the heat.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#93: Post by Chert »

Don't lose interest in anaerobic processed coffees. Some producers have very good techniques for them.
LMWDP #198

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#94: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Panama Altieri Geisha Dry Fermentation-Sagebrush. In one word: stunning. Lovely very refined and balance yet great depth and power. Fruit forward palate of berries, faint coco dust, and a unique vanilla note that lends a slightly creamy feel. Florals don't really emerge until cup starts to cool at which point cup alternates between fruit and florals. There is a wonderful gentle tartness - very sublte yet lending a contrast.

As far as processing - this is only the second anaerobic processed gesha that I have ever had - the other being Roastmaster's Panama Elida Estate Gesha Natural ASD. Both coffees are similar in that neither one comes across as typically anaerobic (by that I mean fermented, savory, or vinegary). Rather both have a slightly more complex richer maybe cream or lactic quality - can't find the right term to express it - than their washed and natural gesha counterparts. Both coffees are also very similar in terms of quality, refinement, and balance - yet they are both quite different. I wish that i still had some of the Elida for direct comparison but going off memory, I remember the Elida having more of an orange cointreau-coco profile with florals more apparent at the start. I also recall that the Elida's flavors were more retiecent hot but then suddenly opened up as the cup cooled to room temp, becoming candy sweet when cool. The Altieri on the other hand, is candy sweet berries from the start with only the florals requiring some time to develop-emerge. Again going off memory as opposed to direct comparison.

Another struggle I have with the more refined subtle geshas is distinguishing the lavors when the coffee is hot. I often have to wait until the cup completely cools before being able to really taste the full range of flavors. The Altieri, however, is an exception in that from the start, presenting very a distinct flavor profile even when very warm. Only the florals required a little time to emerge.

Another struggle I have with many geshas is florals - in that my palate is quite sensitive to them. I find some geshas seem dominated by florals while lacking in overall complexity and other flavors. I am not suggesting this is a flaw but rather a matter of personal taste. I have actaully shied away from certain geshas becuase they are too floral and remain so-almost tasting one dimensional to my palate. In anycase, I loved that the Altieri starts off with fruit and other flavors first, with the florals emerging later on. It is lovely to really get a feel of the cup's 'other' flavors rather than being hit over the head with florals right away. Even when they do emerge, the florals remain sublte - appearing to come in gentle waves as opposed to a constant presence. Again this is as much a personal issue of mine,

I don't often splurge on a gesha of this calibre but the Altieri was absolutely worth it. In fact I find myself trying to justify buying another pound at the moment. Not often the case with geshas - or other varieties - in this price range. Highly recommended.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#95: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Colombia El Mirador Anaerobic-Sagebrush. Normally I shy away from anaerobics with this sort of flavor profile given my early experiences with overly fermented vinegary miso type anaerobics (see my initial post at start of this thread). Specifically the mention of pineapple gave me serious pause for thought - but decided to give it a go since my experience with Sagebrush coffees is that they are very balanced and of very good quality.

My initial roast of the Colombia El Mirador Anaerobic was not one of my better ones. I find anaerobics can sometimes get away from me around 1st Crack, catching me unprepared - and this was the case with this roast. As a result I am certain my less than controlled roast colored the results.

The cup is initially light and sweet with a wonderful ripe blackberries with a little honey - almost candy like the first few sips. The pineapple initially is tasted more as a contrasting acidic tartness against sweet blackberry - like a sweet-sour hard candy. As the cup moves from hot to warm, the pineapple transforms into a fully realized pineapple flavor and gains strength. The cup is still delicate and candy like but the pineapple now adding more acidity and even a little heat on the back of the throat.

Soon some savory miso like notes emerge - most when aerating the palate but overtime becoming a more constant presence. After a while a faint pineapple vinegar note appears..again with growing acidity and heat at the back of the throat as opposed to on the tongue. This is where I started to struggle a little, being very sensitive to any sort of vinegar notes in anaerobic. Just as it starts to get a bit much, the pineapple vinegar miso note recedes and more sweet blackberry candies move forefront.

The rest of the cup I spend between these two states of sweet blackberry candies and pineapple vinegar miso notes. I find myself enjoying the coffee tremendously but wishing that the pineapple vinegar note was a little demised or had less heat. When the cup finally cools, I find myself enjoying it as much as I did initially.

Overall I am surprised how much I liked this coffee despite it not being my favorite flavor profile (because of the pineapple vinegar notes). I suspect that both with a better controlled and lighter roast plus a lighter brew, I would probably enjoy this more. Letting the roast rest a few days might also help tame the pineapple. Having said that, it is also entirely possible that the pineapple savory type notes will keep me from entirely loving it.

For those of you that recall my initial experiences with anaerobic coffees (see start of this thread), I would say the Sagebrush offering in absolutely no way resembles the anaerobics tasted from Bodhi Leaf. The Colombia El Mirador Anaerobic is very balanced and quite refined - quite enjoyable even given my dislike for pineapple flavors. There are no outright vinegar flavors...the pineapple vinegar I taste is more of the syrupy sweet variety with more of an acid heat as opposed to ferment taste. Also the flavor is felt more at the back of the throat -so not obstrusive. Having said that, like many back of the throat flavors-sensations, it lingers and grows long after each sip of coffee.

PhilthyCoffee

#96: Post by PhilthyCoffee »

Almico wrote:Picking up a bag of my first anaerobic natural on Tuesday. Tiny farm, but scores high in acidity, high in body and very high in sweetness. I couldn't resist.

https://www.royalny.com/offering/colomb ... l-tabi-gp/
Alan,
Happen to have any of this hitting Skyroast?

Chert

#97: Post by Chert »

mpdeem wrote:Panama Altieri Geisha Dry Fermentation-
I really enjoy your notes.

Of the 4 or maybe 5 gesha I've ever tasted, one certainly hit it for me - great complexity with nice high fruit/berry notes. (It's Candido from the samples I showed above) The two humdrum ones make me wonder if I just don't really taste florals very readily.
LMWDP #198

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by pcofftenyo »

Chert wrote:I really enjoy your notes.

The two humdrum ones make me wonder if I just don't really taste florals very readily.
I don't taste/can't identify floral notes well either. Maybe it's because I'm not exposed to many fragrant flowers besides Asiatic Lilys, Roses, or Marigolds? Certainly couldn't identify them when the same coffees were cupped as washed and anaerobic prep.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#99: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Chert wrote:I really enjoy your notes.

Of the 4 or maybe 5 gesha I've ever tasted, one certainly hit it for me - great complexity with nice high fruit/berry notes. (It's Candido from the samples I showed above) The two humdrum ones make me wonder if I just don't really taste florals very readily.
Your notes are always interesting...especially the most recent one featuring all of those Daterra coffees....I am still reading through the descriptions in your photo - trying to imagine how each one tastes. The number of different varietals alone is impressive not to mention processes.

Florals - even with my sensativity to florals, there are some geshas which don't seem to have much in the way of florals. For example Roaster's Costa Rica Rejolle washed gesha had very little florals. In fact it had a rather unique profile (for a gesha) with chocolate, soft sweet tobacco (more like how you think a sweet pipe tobacco would taste based on the sweet aroma), and some faint berries. The Rejolla was not advertised as being floral and Rosatmaer's taste notes were spot on in describing this rather unique gesha. Having said that there was a quality that said gesha to me..so there might have been some florals tucked away...but none that were obvious. Since I am not a huge fan of overly floral geshas, I really enjoy those examples which are not overly floral.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING: Based on the Candido description -and my expierence with gesha's with 'orange blossom' notes, I am guessing that there is more of a citrus type note that may not come across as overtly floral. Usually when the description includes 'jasmine' is a good indicator to me (based on my palate) that there will be a strong overt floral taste.
pcofftenyo wrote:I don't taste/can't identify floral notes well either. Maybe it's because I'm not exposed to many fragrant flowers besides Asiatic Lilys, Roses, or Marigolds? Certainly couldn't identify them when the same coffees were cupped as washed and anaerobic prep.
Have you tried any crops of Sweet Maria's Gautemala Acatenango Gesha? In my expierence this tends to be one of the more floral - if not the most floral -gesha I have tasted. In fact I find it a little overwhelming for my tastes that is how floral it is. The Acatenango florals to me tend to taste like the aromas (as opposed to taste) of gardenia, rose petals, jasmine, and lilies (Calla-Easter lillies).

Other geshas I have had seem to be a litlte simpler boquet of florals...mostly jasmine and gardenia. Basically the floral taste seems to be how one imagines the aforementioned flowers would taste - based on the aroma of each one. Hope this makes sense. You bring up an excellent point though, that the descriptor 'floral' could cover a wide range of flower scents.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING: Like you I don't really get overt florals with anaerobic prep. With straight washed geshas it just depends..but with anaerobic processing I have yet to find an overtly floral gesha. Again giving my preferences, I actaully seek out less floral geshas..making me the odd duck since that flavor is often most sought after by gesha enthusiasts.

Almico

#100: Post by Almico »

PhilthyCoffee wrote:Alan, Happen to have any of this hitting Skyroast?
I served it up as my light roast last weekend to rave reviews. Even the customers that insisted on putting milk in it thought it was great.

I have retail bags on the shelf in New Hope, but it's not on the website yet. I'm only roasting 8# batches for now.