Anaerobic natural coffees - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
PhilthyCoffee

#71: Post by PhilthyCoffee »

I just picked up a 72hr light roasted anaerobic from Passenger. Their longest of 4 of their "Mutana experiment" series. About 6 months ago, I had an Anaerobic Worka Chelseba from B&W that I wasn't a huge fan of, but I just grabbed 125g of this new 72hr to play with. I'm not really a big fan of Natural coffees as drip, but I have enjoyed some as espresso and I know it's still a process that's getting the kinks ironed out for the industry as a whole. Any idea of ideal rest time for something like this, and is there a general guide for rest suggestions for some these non-conventional processed coffees?

Almico

#72: Post by Almico »

Picking up a bag of my first anaerobic natural on Tuesday. Tiny farm, but scores high in acidity, high in body and very high in sweetness. I couldn't resist.

https://www.royalny.com/offering/colomb ... l-tabi-gp/

Almico

#73: Post by Almico »

Just wow! Picked up this coffee this morning. The fermentation aroma was trying its best to escape the grain pro from the back of my Jeep on the way back to the roastery, so I was a bit concerned. But only an hour off roast it is spectacular. Big chocolate-covered strawberry notes with a healthy dose of cherry brandy. Can't wait till it rests a few day. Oh boy.

Used my normal light roast profile. 5:00 to dry, 4:00 more to 1C. 18* and 1:35 to drop.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#74: Post by Milligan »

Almico wrote:Just wow! Picked up this coffee this morning. The fermentation aroma was trying its best to escape the grain pro from the back of my Jeep on the way back to the roastery, so I was a bit concerned. But only after be hour off roast it is spectacular. Big chocolate-covered strawberry notes with a healthy dose of cherry brandy. Can't wait till it rests a few day. Oh boy.

Used my normal light roast profile. The 5:00 to dry, 4:00 more to 1C. 18* and 1:35 to drop.
The Tabi I got from Hacea was eye opening for me. The aroma coming off of the green beans smelled wonderful for a change. Not the raw grain/hay smell that I'm used to. Makes a lovely cup. Curious to hear what your patrons think of it if it ends up in your cafes!

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#75: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:Roasted a sample of each tonight. Wow that Tabi smells great. I ground some to measure the roast level and the aroma made me want to lick the grounds! Going to be hard to give it the rest it needs. I want to try it...
I drank the Tabi day of the roast...just smelled and tasted too good to let rest. It is already so balanced and integrated I am not sure what resting would add to the cup. Not at all like the the more 'wild' anaerobics who need time to let the fermented notes to settle down.

Seems like there are two classes of anaerobics - the wild fermented 'bordering on bin juice' types that need sevral days to even a week to settle down versus the more balanced integrated refined version that can be consumed right away. My preference is for the latter and the Tabi seems to fall into that catagory.

If you let the Tabi rest, please share your impressions. Prehaps I will be inspired and not just gulp it down right away.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#76: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:The Tabi I got from Hacea was eye opening for me. The aroma coming off of the green beans smelled wonderful for a change. Not the raw grain/hay smell that I'm used to. Makes a lovely cup. Curious to hear what your patrons think of it if it ends up in your cafes!
Same here - for both process and cultivar as most anaerobics previously tasted were too fermented 'bin juice' for my taste. The only other Tabi coffee tasted was decent but nothing memorible...so on both accounts this coffee was a lovely discovery.

I had previously tasted the incredible Brazil Dattera El Paraiso Pulped courtesy of Chert (thank you) so the Tabi was not a completely earth shattering discovery. Nevertheless it was nice to see that there were other nice refined anaerobics out there. The Colombian Manos Juntas Red Stripe Bourbon from Burman's is another exmaple. I confess that for me the Brazil El Paraiso remains my favorite -not surprising given what a special coffee it is. Nice to have other more readily available examples to enjoy on a more regular basis.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#77: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Almico wrote:Just wow! Picked up this coffee this morning. The fermentation aroma was trying its best to escape the grain pro from the back of my Jeep on the way back to the roastery, so I was a bit concerned. But only an hour off roast it is spectacular. Big chocolate-covered strawberry notes with a healthy dose of cherry brandy. Can't wait till it rests a few day. Oh boy.
Did you pick up any vinageror miso type ferment notes on the first days? My expierence with anaerobics that smell strongly fermented in the green state is that they are almost undrinkable the first few days due to dominance of fermented miso types flavors...often taking a week of rest just to become palatable. Could just be my palate so curious to hear more about your initial tasting impression versus late ones.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#78: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

For all of you loving the ANAEROBIC NATURAL COFFEES that make espresso or caps, try blending this with a big body coffee that you enjoy either 50/50 or 1/3 to 2/3.

This is my wife's go to drink these days.

Previously have used Daterra Sweet Blue, Costa Rica DeDota, and now using Hacea's Max Perez and other Guats.

Happy drinking.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#79: Post by Almico »

mpdeem wrote:Did you pick up any vinageror miso type ferment notes on the first days? .
None. This coffee is all I make in the morning for the past month. I'd swear I get a dopamine hit every time I drink one.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#80: Post by Milligan »

mpdeem wrote:Seems like there are two classes of anaerobics - the wild fermented 'bordering on bin juice' types that need sevral days to even a week to settle down versus the more balanced integrated refined version that can be consumed right away. My preference is for the latter and the Tabi seems to fall into that catagory.

If you let the Tabi rest, please share your impressions. Prehaps I will be inspired and not just gulp it down right away.
I roasted the last of my Tabi a few days ago. After reading Hacea's roast notes, I decided to go a little darker but not much. I hit an 18 on roastvision which is considered a medium roast. I let it sit a couple of days before brewing.

I'm noticing very distinct dark berries with a baker's chocolate note throughout. The curious one for me is when the sweetness hits it carries a on-the-nose honey note. Made me do a quick double take because it was so direct. The acidity stays quite prevalent even at the medium roast level which is pleasant. This is in a pour over. Very nice! Just wish it wasn't $11 per pound for the greens...