Anaerobic natural coffees - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#31: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

I just tasted through a trio of wonderful anaerobics roasted by Chert, including the stunning Daterra Mazterpiece. In fact I loved all of the coffees tasted- each having quite different flavors. Even the more fruit forward examples were completely devoid of balsalmic vinegar and soy sauce..instead being refined yet quite unique. Thank you Cher for sharing such wonderful examples of a process I was ready to write off completely. So now back to exploring more anaerobics...plus trying to get more of the Daterra along with the other two coffees.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread....it has been very interesting to read everyone's impressions and favorite (or not so favorite) attributes of this style of processing.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#32: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

luca wrote:My view on all of this stuff is that what people like is subjective, and it's utterly up to anyone to decide what they want to like. I might think of something as runaway bin juice ferment that I hate, but others might find it intensely fruity and delightful.
runaway bin juice ferment...this perfectly describes my initial impressions of the first anaerobic natural ever tasted. This is exactly why I love hearing a broad range of honest uncensored reactions.both good and bad :)

Advertisement
Ben Z.

#33: Post by Ben Z. »

I just had a chance to try my first one of these coffees. Big thanks to pcofftenyo for sending me some Guatemala beans that he roasted. It was the most interesting and enjoyable cup I've had in a while! I did a batch in my clever dripper last night - unbelievably fruity (mostly cherries, IMO), low acidity (not what I was expecting for some reason), not funky, and somehow chocolately without the roasty part of chocolate that you pretty much always have with chocolate-tasting coffee. Going to experiment a bit with different methods and will definitely seek out some others.

The coffee itself was fantastic, but wouldn't have made me think it was something extremely unusual - just very good and interesting. The roasted beans and fresh grounds, though, definitely not like normal beans!

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by mgrayson »

As I've said elsewhere (if it's earlier in this thread, I can only claim dementia), I ended up with either Guinness Stout flavored coffee or a caffeinated non-alcoholic dark brew. Not sure which. It was interesting viewed as beer. Very disturbing viewed as coffee.

EvanOz85

#35: Post by EvanOz85 »

Just had the best cappuccino in my entire life from the Bodhi Leaf Colombia Pink Bourbon Natural Anaerobic. 9 days post-roast, pulled on the Decent 18g in 36g out using Flow Profile for Milky Drinks at 197F. I had a feeling this bean would make an incredible milk drink, and boy was I right. Candy sweet, bursting with juicy fruit flavors. Could be mistaken for some kind of Nesquik flavored milk but soooo more more complex than that. It kept leaving this tingly bright sweetness on the tip of my tongue with each sip that just blew me away. I'm inviting some friends and family over soon specifically so they can try this. The brewed coffee and straight espresso is a bit too intense for daily drinking, in my opinion, but this cappuccino is something I could see myself wanting every day. Just wow.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by pcofftenyo »

Eee gads, I had to buy some roasted coffee!

Fortunately I was able to whiff the roaster's inventory pre-purchase. I knew by the sparkling nose and heavy musky fruit it was anerobic but the roaster said no, it was a natural. Well, it is indeed a low-oxygen anerobic Colombian Red Bourbon Rubi Marta (closed lid stainless tanks for 60 hours then raised beds for 24 days). Estate coffee from Tolima, CO.

Cupper notes range from rhubarb, Strawberry & Hershey's Cookes 'n' Creme to pineapple, lychee, and strawberry.

I get the immediate strawberry/cherry flavor when hot with pineapple acidity and mango syrup body. Higher acidity and more pineapple/rhubarb through a Flair. Fuller body from the Aero (20g grounds, rest is water). Some milk chocolate.

Chert

#37: Post by Chert »

I had the privilege of a taste-a -rama with some of these anaerobics that mpdeem roasted in the popcorn popper. What a variety of flavorful coffees that hold the interesting flavors of process and origin into city+ and also into full city territory. aged beer, strawberry, nougat, bell pepper were among the taste impressions we had .

I did Tonino tests on the samples and blended those for my noon coffee, turkish style today. The sweetened one I really liked but the pot I brewed sans sugar suffered from technique. The floral complexity was marred by coffee powder in that one, but cleaner of body with the sugar made for a nice dressed up coffee, cezve style.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by pcofftenyo replying to Chert »

My limited experience shows that the Colombia I've got is extremely sensitive to roast. I've gotten some of that mead-hoppy-gack ferment with mashed over-ripe fruit before, but I've usually gotten results without that. I've not experimented enough back to back to get meaningful results, but I might be able to go through my log to pinpoint what those roast differences might be.

Chert

#39: Post by Chert »

I was intrigued and enjoyed your post, so I offer some thoughts and question:
pcofftenyo wrote:Eee gads, I had to buy some roasted coffee!
Why would you get into that kind of bind? I bought from Paradise Espresso Nuevo, Java Mejorado, and Ecuador robusta recently because I wanted to.
Fortunately I was able to whiff the roaster's inventory pre-purchase. I knew by the sparkling nose and heavy musky fruit it was anerobic but the roaster said no, it was a natural. Well, it is indeed a low-oxygen anerobic Colombian Red Bourbon Rubi Marta (closed lid stainless tanks for 60 hours then raised beds for 24 days). Estate coffee from Tolima, CO.
You know you're down the rabbit hole when you know better than the vendor what they are roasting and selling. And you know by whiff.
Cupper notes range from rhubarb, Strawberry & Hershey's Cookes 'n' Creme to pineapple, lychee, and strawberry.

I get the immediate strawberry/cherry flavor when hot with pineapple acidity and mango syrup body. Higher acidity and more pineapple/rhubarb through a Flair. Fuller body from the Aero (20g grounds, rest is water). Some milk chocolate.
From the cupper notes and your impression I can't tell if it is necessarily washed or natural. It sure sounds like the anaerobic process served that coffee well.
LMWDP #198

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by pcofftenyo »

Off topic post:

Ha!

I was traveling and while I brought enough for pour over and espresso, my SO decided that a huge batch of cold brew was in order so, well, there went my beans. The only 2 reasons I don't buy out more often is that 1-I'm not often able to sample and 9x of 10 I'm disappointed due to over roasting and 2-good coffee is expensive! :D

I like to support local roasters through shop visits, recommendations, and bean purchases but when I travel its a crapshoot. In the "Best of Sarasota County" one of the roasters who will go unnamed was praised about their global sourcing practices. Fine and good. Everything is near fire-hazard roast levels. I've even tried several of them and they tasted like they looked. When asked about medium to light roasts eye's rolled. Ok.

Yes, in deep. Some of the processing details in the Colombian were found post purchase but I knew it was anerobic at the shop. They just have that berry mash effervescence that I've not gotten in "plain" naturals.