Air Popcorn Popper Roast Profiles - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#51: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

randytsuch wrote:Thermocouple to measure BT. Just had to drill a small hole to run the tc through. Its a type K, and use a TC4 to read it.
Thanks for posting the photos. Regarding the placement of the BT thermocouple...looks like it is situated in one ofheat vents - is that correct? If so, would that mean it reads the evironmental temperature of the heat vent...as opposed to the bottom secton of the bean mass?

I have always wondered how best to obtain 'bean temperature'. Right now I have only one temperature probe - a kitchen dial mounted in the lower third of the roast chamber, mounted through a drilled hole in the side of the roaster. The probe runs midway across the chamber in an effort to capture the temperature of the lower third of the bean mass.

I have noticed raw bean volume influences the probe accuracy at 1st Crack and maillard onwards. The larger the bean volume, the less accurate the temperature dial appears to be during 1st Crack and maillard in that the bean color, behavior (cracking, movement) often indicate higher temperatures than the dial.

I am wondering if your placement of the probe in the heat vent might provide a more accurate reading..or at least one less influenced by bean mass?

Advertisement
minus1psi

#52: Post by minus1psi »

mpdeem wrote: I am wondering if your placement of the probe in the heat vent might provide a more accurate reading..or at least one less influenced by bean mass?
This YT channel posted a somewhat related video "Roasting Coffee Using Exhaust Temperature" I think he did another video more or less on the same topic but using a Behmor.

minus1psi

#53: Post by minus1psi »

Smplif8 wrote: (Post #46) ...I guess keeping a constant top of the bean level is one way but I don't know if there is an easy way to detect that.
I had a thought for limiting the spread of bean mass while allowing for more vigorous airflow with a second goal of managing bean-to-bean conductivity. For rigs with a chimney it may be possible to insert a screen as a sort of maximum bean height limiter. Placed just so this should allow airflow to be increased but stop beans from 'catching some air'. Ever hopeful for these random thoughts, I'd like to think that if the press fit is just right the screen can be moved up or down to accommodate different profiles or bean density.

Edited to add

Although it may not be an issue for any other popcorn roaster out there, the screen will definitely affect IR sensor readings. On a build using thermocouples the screen should not interfere. Now there is additional motivation to install a thermocouple. Another concern may be dumping the beans after the roast depending on the design of the roaster. On the Popcorn Pumper I remove the glass chimney before dumping the beans, so the addition of a screen in the chimney does not represent a problem.

minus1psi

#54: Post by minus1psi »

Squeezin' Beans wrote:https://www.menards.com/main/tools/powe ... -10087.htm
This is the variac I'm using, common and cheaply available. I'm finding that resorting to full power has been giving me overroasted beans with starting mass>90g.

For convective heat transfer, it's mostly forced in the Popper scenario, there's so much airflow coming from near the bottom, there's little in the way of natural convection. With greater bean mass you're able to slow the progression of air through the bean tower, which also increases contact time for the air as it moves through the tower of beans. This slowing of air motion is allowing greater heat transfer from the fan-fed air to the beans while at the same time, slowing the motion of beans from the bottom of the popper to the top. I've had issues with tipping when overloading/defeating the fan, as the circulation of beans wasn't enough to distribute the heat.

With a roaster that has mechanical tumbling, there's forced distribution/motion preventing the beans from conductive heat transfer from a hot surface for too long. In a popper it's far less predictable. This is especially true of beans with great variance in surface area/density.
The forced air at the bottom will move larger surface area/less dense beans more readily, so there will be very uneven heat distribution through the bean column.
Woohoo! Excellent. Thanks!

randytsuch

#55: Post by randytsuch »

mpdeem wrote:Thanks for posting the photos. Regarding the placement of the BT thermocouple...looks like it is situated in one ofheat vents - is that correct? If so, would that mean it reads the evironmental temperature of the heat vent...as opposed to the bottom secton of the bean mass?

I have always wondered how best to obtain 'bean temperature'. Right now I have only one temperature probe - a kitchen dial mounted in the lower third of the roast chamber, mounted through a drilled hole in the side of the roaster. The probe runs midway across the chamber in an effort to capture the temperature of the lower third of the bean mass.

I have noticed raw bean volume influences the probe accuracy at 1st Crack and maillard onwards. The larger the bean volume, the less accurate the temperature dial appears to be during 1st Crack and maillard in that the bean color, behavior (cracking, movement) often indicate higher temperatures than the dial.

I am wondering if your placement of the probe in the heat vent might provide a more accurate reading..or at least one less influenced by bean mass?
I haven't used the popper setup in maybe 10 years. The blog was back at the end of 2009. I continued to tweak and improve it, but eventually moved to an highly modified alpenrost to get a larger batch size, it could do about 1/2 pound. The alpenrost was gutted so I could monitor ET and BT, and control the heater and drum motor. Basically I did a brain transplant on it. Then I retired from roasting, but may start again one of these days.

So for the pics above, there is one probe right where the hot air enters the roast chamber. That tip of the probe is shown in the 2nd and third picture, I used that probe for ET when I roasted. PID control was based on this temp. This is a bead thermocouple with fiberglass insulation.

First pic shows the thermocouple (TC) probe I used for BT. Enter the chamber at the top of the Pumper body, going straight across to the middle. IMHO, it did a good job measuring the temp of the bean mass. The temps I measured would correlate close enough to what I expected for first and 2nd crack. I would use BT to figure out the roast profile.
I found the Pumper this morning. Turns out that I had a hole for to angle the TC down into the roast chamber, but I must have decided straight across near the top was better than angled down.

Now that I think about it, for BT placement, I'd load up the Pumper with whatever I decided was the batch size I wanted to use, and do a test roast. Then measure how high the main mass of beans go after first crack. Then estimate the bottom of the mass, and try to center the BT probe in the mass. Figure BT is more important at end versus beginning of roast, and center of the mass will move up as roast progresses.

I had two basic profiles, one for high elevation hard beans, and one for low elevation (island) soft beans.
High elevation would start off at max power, but then would cut back on the power as I approached first crack.
Low elevation I would start at a lower power, maybe 70% but that's a guess. Then cut back even more approaching 1st.
Then I might tweak the profile depending on the results for a particular bean.

For any profile, tried to maximize time between first and 2nd. Typically end roast at start of 2nd.

I started off with a variac, but I had trouble with control and repeatability, so moved to a PID and SSR to control the heat.

My roast size was always the most I could do, based on the Pumper airflow and moving the beans at start of roast. Never experimented with roast size because I could control heater power and fan power.
The large size may have had the unintended consequence (or maybe i meant it do it lol) of keeping the beans closer together. Larger batch size and they don't move as much, or as high.

Randy

minus1psi

#56: Post by minus1psi »

randytsuch wrote:... That tip of the probe is shown in the 2nd and third picture, I used that probe for ET when I roasted. PID control was based on this temp. This is a bead thermocouple with fiberglass insulation...
Randy,

As a Popcorn Pumper roaster I think your idea of putting a probe at the fins to measure Environmental Temperature is smart. I am watching to see if Mary figures out a way to take good advantage of the exhaust temperature on her popper. If I install a single thermocouple it will be in the middle of the bean column, probably somewhere near the top of the bean column with a 90g dose of beans loaded. My roasts tend to be 95g-110g; placing a probe for BT based on a 90g batch provides a small margin of error.

There is a detail that deters me from installing a TC - dumping the beans for cooling. As it is now I remove the chimney, unplug the cord, and dump the beans. It is something like 10 seconds from the time I cut the power until the beans are dumped. Each new thermocouple becomes another mechanical thing do deal with before dumping the beans.

My initial plan for TCs was to make a 1/2" saddle to go across the top of the chimney and mount the TCs vertically. One of the reasons I discarded that plan was the mechanical complications of dealing with dumping the beans. Another was that it likely required that I learn to do 3D printing. I would love to know how to model objects for 3D printing but figure it will take a while, and I was more interested in roasting coffee.

With a single TC for BT, I think I would go in through the exposed plate in the bean column area rather than fabricate a saddle over the top of the chimney.

Drawing shows the path not taken.

randytsuch

#57: Post by randytsuch »

minus1psi wrote: With a single TC for BT, I think I would go in through the exposed plate in the bean column area rather than fabricate a saddle over the top of the chimney.
That makes sense, I would try to put any TC into the pumper instead of the stack .

With my setup, to end a roast, I turned off heater and fan power, pulled off the stack, and then I had enough slack in all the wiring to lift up the pumper body and dump the beans. Was quick and relatively easy.

Assuming you're using type k TC's, you can pick up special connectors that use the same metal as in type k wires.

I bought the flat pin type from mcmaster https://www.mcmaster.com/type-k-thermoc ... onnectors/ years ago. Worked fine for me. Then I marked both ends for polarity to make it easier to connect because my eyes are old and didn't have great lighting.

My other advice is just do it. Monitoring BT is a minimum requirement, IMHO, for roasting. There are inexpensive meters that read a TC. Small hole in the pumper, TC meter, and a TC probe and you're set.

Randy

Advertisement
mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#58: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Below is an example of roast profile.
Notes:
- there are three delays where the heat is turned off for 30 seconds each time. These occur during the drying phase and start of yellowing- maillard phase (is this now just called maillard???). This is to delay the ROR, to keep from reaching FC prematurely.
-heat ROR is controlled via turning heat off for very short 1-2 secont periods. My popper has an ON/OFF switch which has been modified to control the heat only. The fan remains running even the the ON/OFF switch is turned off.
- beans start turning yellow at about 2:40-3 minutes.
- beans start turning light brown somewhere after 6 minute mark
- During development phase ROR continues upwards until Peak Temperature is achieved at about 8:15-8:30 minutes. This reflects the way I learned to roast - based on a very old and now outdated roast profile share over 11 years ago. It does not represent a particular roasting logic on my part.

My goals are:
-achieve a more steady ROR the first 5 minutes of the roast, getting rid of the 30 second delays (heat turned off). This means lowering the overall temperature range. Right now is a series of temperature peaks followed by drops (heat turned off).
-achieve a steady ROR through development phase, achieving Peak temperature at end of roast.

After implementing those changes, I will see what the results are-keeping a taste bud out for underdeveloped raw type flavors or excess acid development. I remember reading somewhere (will see if I can find link) that acid and body are developed during the drying phase. If the temperatures are too high during the drying phase it can result in a flatter more simple cup.

In my recent experiments of raising the charging and drying temps, I have found that while I am able to lower the Peak Temperature and development phase temperatures slightly...the resulting cup lacks acidity, to a lesser degree body, and even sweetness. On the last point of sweetness, I wonder if the absence of acid development gives the impression of less sweetness, as I did find more dark fruit type notes in those experimental roasts.

Long Term goals:
-lighter roasts via lower Peak and development phase temps.
-better understanding and ability to to modulate flavors via roast, Yes I ordered Rob Hoos's book. Will probably get Scott Raos's book in the near future.

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#59: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

Just finished doing a light roast of the Guatemala Al Bosque (courtsey Chert), implementing the following change mentioned in my previous post:
-steady ROR
-lower Peak and development phase temperatures

I used a slightly modified version of Royal's Bullet roast profile for one of their double washed Colombians as a very general model.

1st biggest change resulting from a steady ROR was higher temperatures between 3:30 and 5:30 minutes:
-old profile I would drop the temperature after 3:30 to 280 F at 4:30. then climb back up to 325 F by 5:30
-new profile there is no temperature drop. Instead it is replaced by a very slow drawn out steady temperature rise, starting at 325 F at 3:30, reaching 360 F at 5:30.

2nd biggest change was Peak and development temperatures:
-old profile Peak Temperature was usually anywhere from 438-450 F. Development temperature tange would be 425-445 F.
-new profile Peak Temperature is much lower at 415 . Development temperature range now 400-410 F.

The results were a very light roast but with developed acid , decent body and sweetness with no vegetal flavors. Cupped this alongside a Colombian coffee from Panther since the latter was my role model for light roast. Happy to say my results were in the general ball park.

minus1psi

#60: Post by minus1psi »

mpdeem wrote:If anyone is running Artisan or roast tracking software in other ways tracking their roast profiles - I would love to hear from you. Feel free to post roast profiles and notes.
Here are a couple of recent recent roasts with the Popcorn Pumper and IR sensor. After watching another excellent interview with Rob Hoos on YouTube I am evolving my priorities for roasting. This is a snippet of my notes from that interview.
Q: What are the most important decision for roaster?
Hoos cites and details research shared by Morten Münchow (researcher in Copenhagen)
	• biggest drivers of flavor from roaster
		#1	roast color
		#2	development time
		#3	time to 1C
		- biggest change you can make is to change the final color of the roasted coffee
		- whole bean color is primarily about temperature exposure
and another snippet
Comparing roasts by weight loss
	more than .5% roast to roast delta weight loss means changes in flavor
	.25% weight loss is goal for roast-to-roast consistentcy
	11%-13%	 weight loss = light roast
	13%-16%	 weight loss = medium roast
	16%-18%	 weight loss = dark roast
	18%-22%	 weight loss = extra dark roast
Based on that I am now choosing to dump the roast at a chosen temperature and then compare weight loss % .
For me, at least at this time, drop temperature has become the primary metric of my roasts. For my set-up it seems like the most reliable metric for predicting weight loss. Weight loss seems to be a pretty good quantifiable stand-in for roast color. For now I am paying very little attention to RoR curves or DTR during the roasts but studying them afterwards.

A friend generously gave me a gift of a coffee from Sweet Maria's which is marketed as "A Box Of Chocolates". The box contains 6 different green coffees and a card which suggests a weight loss % for each. The coffee I roasted today was Brazil Carmo Fazenda Furnas with a suggested weight loss of -14%. I had previously roasted this coffee and ended up with weight loss closer to -13% than -14%. Today I adjusted my strategy to drop a few degrees higher. The resulting weight loss for both of today's roasts was -14.1%, which overall represents good progress in my efforts to control a roast.

Today's two roasts both dropped at approx. 377°F on my roaster. Given the IR sensor that is being used outside of its design parameters I do not know what the actual temperature was. As long as the sensor is consistent, it is workable.

The roasts today differed in the way heat was applied. Both were given an initial blast of power to get the beans moving, then the voltage was quickly reduced. There were two things that were similar about the roasts, the drop temperature and the weight loss. Otherwise they were quite different.

The first roast (#125) ran at 110v almost the entire time; the charge temperature was about 65°F lower than the charge temperature for the second roast. Right about the time I called 1C I also gave the roast a few seconds at 120v hoping to blow off chaff and to increase the volume of the cracking sound (1C cracks remained barely audible). Other than a few seconds at the beginning and a few seconds just before 1C the entire roast ran at a single voltage.
  • charge temperature: 178.4°F
  • time to Dry End: 2:13
  • time to 1C from start of roast: 5:11
  • total roast time at drop: 8:03
  • temperature at drop: 376.3°F
  • weight loss: -14.1%
The second roast (#127) had a charge temperature about 65°F higher than the charge temperature for the first roast. Like the first roast it was given a few seconds to get the beans moving; after the initial burst it ran at 115v for around 1 minute until the BT reached 300°F. Then the voltage was reduced to 110v for the remainder of the roast.
  • charge temperature: 243.4°F
  • time to Dry End: 1:27
  • time to 1C from start of roast: 4:02
  • total roast time at drop: 6:18
  • temperature at drop: 377°F
  • weight loss: -14.1%

The first roast (#125)

The second roast (#127)