Aida Batlle Selections: Finca Kilimanjaro Burundi Process Discussions

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Many of us have appreciated having the input and green coffee of Aida Batlle available. And maybe it's time to start pages for the separate processes of the coffee she and her team produces.

Also hopefully she will bring more of the Burundi process into home roasters' hands.

Edited to add copied note on the process:
BURUNDI - 24 hour DRY fermentation, washing every 12 hours...which means
we add a little bit of fresh water and turn with a wooden paddle, then 24 hour
UNDER WATER fermentation, washing again every 12 hours then wash the
parchment then it goes back to fermentation tank to soak in fresh water for 24
hours and then placed on drying beds.

We were very excited about the most recent batch I did of the Burundi process. very tasty in the Kalita Decent pourover protocol. I pre-ordered last year and I think I have 2020-21 harvest lot which may or may not be the same that is in roasters' hands now and was discussed on the facsimile group cuppings.

Darn it, that profile I failed to save, but here is the one I just completed and darn it again, the artifact gremlins ran a bit rampant. Any way.I was target about 2 minutes post 1C or 10 deg C rise modeled after the graphs Rickpatbrown posted on the Washed mega thread. I pull according to temp rise over time and I sure wish I could study the roast I did of the cup I drank this morning. That's the one I really need to repeat. :? :cry: the Jan 6 roast has tonino 113 and this Jan 9 roast tonino 109. ( cinnamon 115-130; light 100-115; city 90-100; medium 80-90; full city 70-80; dark 60-70; heavy 50-60.)

A question I have for others drinking this one. Is it better for pour over than espresso extraction? I kind of think it might be.

LMWDP #198

olutheros

#2: Post by olutheros »

Did my first huky batch of any of these coffees from Aida today, went for a very basic roast profile, shot for about 2:00 of development and about +20f after first crack and pretty much got there. Similar endpoint to your roast but slower overall, 22 on the RoastVision (ground only, not whole bean), which it considers medium-light.

Will taste tomorrow but I bet this is better than my test batch on the fresh roast.

Chert (original poster)

#3: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I don't have the RoastVision but I do have a tonino, so I took readings of these two roasts and updated my post above.
LMWDP #198

olutheros

#4: Post by olutheros »

This turned out good, I'm sure the flavor will continue to improve as this rests but it's quite sweet, has a dried cherry/apricot type fruitiness along with a bit of pleasant herbal bittering notes, big creamy body, long nutty finish.

optopusi_dama

#5: Post by optopusi_dama »

Is it an espresso or filter roast?
I usually do 45% 40% 15%, but I am seeing this type of profile a lot. Do you let the temperature rise during the "first crack"? I usually lower the power so that it raises only 1 or 2 degrees.It may not be that I am not doing it right. :oops: :oops: :oops:

olutheros

#6: Post by olutheros replying to optopusi_dama »

I wouldn't call mine an espresso roast (since that can mean a lot of different things) but I'll definitely make some espresso with it.

And yeah, as you can see from those graphs, both mine and Chert's above are dropped roughly 10C after first crack begins. Just how far you have to go after first crack starts until it stops tasting green/unpleasantly sour/etc depends on your machine and what you're using to measure the temperature.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane »

I can taste the roast in post #2. Fantastic.

Those are the numbers I shoot for.

No crashes, no flicks, no stalls. Keep it up.

optopusi_dama

#8: Post by optopusi_dama »

I use a modified popcorn popper, and measure with a type k probe. Certainly my taste is usually a bit sour or like tobacco. At FC I don't let the temperature rise much.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by pcofftenyo replying to optopusi_dama »

My best roasts have a temp rise of 7-10C during FC. If not the roast has stalled and the coffee is baking. Cup results are unpleasant like you describe. The sour flavor is under-developed. I bet the beans smell like burnt vegetables or something charrred, yet the bean color inside and out is more brown than black.

We should move further discussion to a new thread.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by pcofftenyo »

mkane wrote:I can taste the roast in post #2. Fantastic.

Those are the numbers I shoot for.

No crashes, no flicks, no stalls. Keep it up.
Yep-I'm usually stoked with the cup when my profile looks like that. WooHoo!