Aida Batlle Selections: Finca Kilimanjaro Burundi Process Discussions - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by LBIespresso »

mpdeem wrote:I appreciate everyone sharing their impressions of the Burundi process. I missed out on this coffee, only having just discovered the Aida Batlle Selections website.....kicking myseld as I have never had her Burundi process coffee.

I just received and did initial roasts of the Iced Cascara Tea and Kenya processed coffees but will wait until separate threads are started dedeicated to those coffees. For now I will just say that they are both stellar and yet very unique.
I am in love with the Burundi process from Aida but I remember the Kenya being a close second when I had them side by side.

Enjoy!
LMWDP #580

mpdeem
Team HB

#22: Post by mpdeem »

LBIespresso

Thanks for the feedback on the Burundi Process. I hope Aida Batlle offers it again in the future.

Funny you should mention the Kenya Process as I am tweaking my roast profile of this very coffee. The Iced Cascara Process was much esaier for me to figure out. The Kenya Process if fabelous but there is a sort of green apple skin note (not exact..hard to describe) that my husband dislikes...so I am trying to tone it down without sacraficing all of those lovely stone fruits. Would love to hear how you roasted the Kanya Process and further impressions. I will start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by LBIespresso replying to mpdeem »

I have only roasted the washed and the Burundi. I was fortunate enough to taste all 4 side by side in the Facsimile tasting. Burundi was tops for me with Kenya close behind. I enjoyed the washed and felt that the cascara, while good on its own, was not up to the level of the other three for my taste.
LMWDP #580

mpdeem
Team HB

#24: Post by mpdeem »

LBIespresso

I envy you being able to taste all 4 coffees side by side and appreciate hearing your impressions. The Burundi sounds special and I amhopeful that Aida will offer it again in the near future.

I find iyour impressions of the Cascara interesting. In the company of the Kenya Process (my roast -still dialnig in) and the Indigo Reserve (Panther's masterful roaste -Ethiopia Process) - I found the Cascara's flavor profile to be very unique with its darker fruits of pomegranate , blackberry, raspberry and lovel tart tamarinde notes. The Cascara was also much easier for me to roast in that my first inital attemps resulting in great coffee whereas i am still tweaking my roast of the Kenya Process.

Thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Mary

mpdeem
Team HB

#25: Post by mpdeem »

The Burundi is back, along with other coffees at Aida's site.

I placed an order that included the Burundi. Also got a subscription for the roasted coffee via Panther. While my greens are still in transit (up in Indy..so close tempting to drive up)...the roasted version of the Burundi arrived last week...and is already gone. It is fabelous with a mix of stone fruits and a lovely strawberries and cream note. Not quite as fruit forward as a natural..closer to honey but with more complexity and richness. Honestly I guzzled it without really taking the proper time to asses...it was that good. The roasting was superb, light yet with good depth and complexity. A wonderful benchmark for my light roasting attempts...lovely consolation and inspiration....and just dangerously good.

Really look forward to playnig around with the unroasted Burundi coffee. Will report back when my greens arrive in the next day or so.

As an aside, I am always amazed at the longevity of Aida's coffees. I just discovered some little leftover Cascara process greens that had gotten buried in my stash. Being from last year's offerings, I expected them to show some age and loss of flavor. Instead they tasted almost new so to speak with no obvious fading or other signs of age. In fact they tasted 'fresher' and more flavorful then several coffees purched in the last month. This demonstrates to me that quality-in growing, processing, and delivery/handling is paramount. It is easy to get used to good coffee but in the face of exceptiona coffee, the difference is huge. With that in mind I stocked up on Aida's this time...and will probably order some more soon.

Hope others share their impressions of this coffee. Really appreciate the wealth of information posted about the previous crops.

mpdeem
Team HB

#26: Post by mpdeem »

Just received my order this evening. Literally delayed my coffee hour until the coffees arrived.

First up is the Burundi. Lovely flavors of yellow plums, maybe a hint of apricot, with strawberries and cream. Lovely tart strawberry note to contrast to all that sweetness. I love the creamy note combined with fruits. Very unique to me at least as most fruit forward coffees are not really creamy. This is like a bowl of fruits in cream but with a nice acidic backbone to keep it from being too rich.

Having missed out on the last crop of the Burundi, I can't give any comparisons...but to say that I am so grateful to finally get to try this coffee! I ended up stealing my husband's cup after finishing mine...that's how much I loved this coffee. One of those desert island type coffees I think-although honestly all of Aida's coffees all fall into that coveted catagory.

My roast was darker than Panther's version but still retaining lovely fruit sweetness. Unforetunately a direct comparison was not possible since I guzzled the entire Panther roast in one day. Since I have a subscription, I will have the opportunity when the next Panther roast arrives.

This year I have had it seems, a rather long run of medicore or underwhelming coffees. Therefore it is an absolute delight to have Aida's coffees back in stock becuase they are extrodinary in every sense. A true feast for the senses...like a fine meal after months of fast food -sorry for the trite analogy but it is apt. I look forward to drinking my way through more roasts of this wonderful coffees as well as Aida's other coffees. Talk about a way to make the cold midwestern winter a lot more fun.

mpdeem
Team HB

#27: Post by mpdeem »

Just did a second roast (I roast on a modified WB Poppery I air popper), hitting First Crack 30 seconds earlier- finishing roast 30 seconds earlier. Despite slight over extraction due to stuck moka pot filter, the resulting brew was very sweet. More pronounced stone fruits now - fresh yellow plums, honey glazed roasted yellow plums, a hint of peach, strawberries, creamy note plus the aforementioned honey note not present in prior roasts.

Very sweet and smooth with perfect balance despite less than perfect brewing. Will do another session hopefully without any brewing snafus on my end.

With the earlier FC and finish time, I had expected more tartness in the form of semi ripe strawberries. My experience with fruity berry forward coffees is that lighter roasts -while fruity-risk becoming overly tart or acidic when roasted lighter and/or with an earlier FC. This might be more unique to air poppers (or not) but in any case I was pleasantly surprised to discover the acid/tart flavors remained perfectly balanced, not increasing at all. In fact the most dramatic change was the increased complexity and strength of the stone fruits plus the addition of a honey note.
----------------------------
A long winded roasting tangent follows yet still relevant I hope

This seems like quite a versatile coffee which inspires me to try more roast variations to help me learn and develop my roasting skills. As a rule, I tend to find a good profile for a particular coffee and stop experimenting. With Aida's coffees it is very easy to get good results right from the start. It is hard to mess up excellent coffee.

Most of my past roasting experiments usually involve dissatisfaction on my part. For example I find a coffee simple tasting or bland, and thus immediately set about trying different roasts -since in many cases, the issue lies with me and not the coffee itself.

Higher quality coffees like Aida's tend to be more forgiving. They will shine even with mediocre roasting. This reminds me of tea in that a good one will shine even when brewed in a pot of poor quality clay.

Having said all of that, excellent quality coffees are actually perfect for developing one's roasting skills. Their innate quality and balance alone ensure a degree of versatility not available in lesser coffees.

This does not mean I anticipate trying FC+ or Vienna roasts but rather applying more subtle changes like trying an earlier or later FC and different temp ranges during the development phase.

Between two such beautiful results, I will be hard pressed to change much else though in my current roast profiles for this coffee. Any further roast profile changes would be done more to enlarge my roasting knowledge - since my first two roasts have been perfect to my taste.

Therefore I would love to see how people are roasting the Burundi. Feel free to post roast profiles and detailed notes. For now, I am reviewing earlier profiles posted in this thread. I am curious if there are more hidden notes waiting to be revealed with only the slightest change in roast.