Aida Batlle Selections: Finca Kilimanjaro Burundi Process Discussions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
optopusi_dama

#11: Post by optopusi_dama »

pcofftenyo wrote:My best roasts have a temp rise of 7-10C during FC. If not the roast has stalled and the coffee is baking. Cup results are unpleasant like you describe. The sour flavor is under-developed. I bet the beans smell like burnt vegetables or something charrred, yet the bean color inside and out is more brown than black.

We should move further discussion to a new thread.
It seems to me a good point of view. I am capable of achieving any percentage, but if the Ror after two minutes goes from 25.15 to 10,8,6,4,3,2,2,......? what can i do to fix this? the temperature I use is more average, increase the temperature at the beginning of the roast? or a higher loading temperature?

optopusi_dama

#12: Post by optopusi_dama »

I use a modified popcorn popper, I have yet to install an arduino to install artisan. I take notes by hand, but I think my charging temperature is low (100ºC).

Chert (original poster)

#13: Post by Chert (original poster) »

For the Burundi Process lot I have - arrived early 2021, this is the profile that I will seek to emulate for the remaining batches I have:

I get a nuanced, mildly sweet, clean cup with a very pleasant aroma. I do struggle to name the flavors of the roasts I've done of this coffee, to me they are quite subtle.
LMWDP #198

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by LBIespresso »

Took me a couple of tries but I finally nailed it. Really enjoying this gem from Aida.

Interesting note: I have been roasting with the diffuser on my Cormorant open (flame directly on drum) and for this roast I tried the diffuser closed. This would shift the ratio of heat application towards convective and away from radiant and conductive. This was the only change from the roast before and I am getting more strawberry and floral notes. This is the first coffee that this has been better for me but I have only tried both ways with a few others.
LMWDP #580

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by pcofftenyo »

LBIespresso wrote:Took me a couple of tries but I finally nailed it. Really enjoying this gem from Aida.

Interesting note: I have been roasting with the diffuser on my Cormorant open (flame directly on drum) and for this roast I tried the diffuser closed. This would shift the ratio of heat application towards convective and away from radiant and conductive. This was the only change from the roast before and I am getting more strawberry and floral notes. This is the first coffee that this has been better for me but I have only tried both ways with a few others.
Is this what pushed your yellowing so long-moving from radiant/conductive to convective? I've been toying with less aggressive early heat applications in order to extend yellowing and shorten malliard on my Huky which is akin to your Coromat. The reason is that I can preserve more nuance with a shorter malliard. I do have to watch the temp rise in 1C to not burn these notes off though.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by LBIespresso replying to pcofftenyo »

It does seem to move everything about 30 seconds to the right. Sometimes I will up my charge temp to compensate but i have much to explore and learn and not enough time to do it all fast enough! I almost wish roasting was my job so I could roast more and learn faster...but that whole be careful what you wish for thing is chirping in the back of my head.
LMWDP #580

mkane
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mkane »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment. The joy of being retired. Problem here is what do I do with all that roasted coffee. One look in our freezer tells the story.

Chert (original poster)

#18: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to mkane »

I'd like to use your BC-1 for a few months. Send it to me and I will return it when you drink down your roasted stash.
LMWDP #198

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by LBIespresso »

mkane wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment. The joy of being retired. Problem here is what do I do with all that roasted coffee. One look in our freezer tells the story.
I just can't bring myself to roast more than I can drink/give away. I admire your approach though!
LMWDP #580

mpdeem
Team HB

#20: Post by mpdeem »

I appreciate everyone sharing their impressions of the Burundi process. I missed out on this coffee, only having just discovered the Aida Batlle Selections website.....kicking myseld as I have never had her Burundi process coffee.

I just received and did initial roasts of the Iced Cascara Tea and Kenya processed coffees but will wait until separate threads are started dedeicated to those coffees. For now I will just say that they are both stellar and yet very unique.