Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown

#51: Post by Rickpatbrown »

LBIespresso wrote:image

Well, there it is. My first attempt. I'll admit, my fear of the chaos at the end of the roast was unfounded as this does seem to be an approachable bean even for a novice like me. I will cup it tomorrow and report back. In the interim, all criticism, constructive or otherwise is welcome.

It does seem like I could charge hotter and move through dry faster and get to FC with a higher ROR giving me more room at the end of the roast.
Not bad! Good work.
Yes. Charging hotter and turning on the gas sooner should get you moving a little quicker. I give it full gas (4.5kPa o. My Huky) after 30s past charge. I open my damper at 1min and that really gets the hot air moving over the beans.

I'd also suggest trying to make fewer gas changes. You should fine that eliminating every other one will make things much easier in you.

I usually get things done in 5 or 6. It all really depends on the beans and what you are shooting for. These beans responded easily without plateauing or crashing, so less is better.

Gas 1 charge to DE
Gas 2 DE to 345 or 360 (depending on how aggressive I'm being.)
Gas 3 -360 to well into 1stC (try not to make changes right before or after 1stC)
Gas 4-30 sec after 1stC
Gas 5 -45 sec after 1stC
Gas 6 -60-90 sec after 1stC

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#52: Post by LBIespresso »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Andrew those are strong results. I would be very happy with them. The times look quite reasonable. I would be surprised if this is underdeveloped.
Definitely not underdeveloped.
My cupping notes:
First pass was nice round spice and marzipan. Second pass was marzipan, graham cracker, caramel, a gentle white grape acidity (not sure about the grape but that's what popped into my head), hint of lemon zest. Overall balanced cup with a nice long finish. As it cooled the marzipan faded into milk chocolate.

I was surprised at how subtle the acidity was. It was always there but in a very gentle and enjoyable way. Tomorrow I will try it as a pour over and the following day as espresso.

I hope others post their curves and cupping notes as well. Especially any other Cormorant users!
LMWDP #580

Boldjava

#53: Post by Boldjava »

Fragrance: Caramel, hint of cherry, hint of lavender
Aroma: Clove
Pourover, 3 days rest
Brown Sugar Sweet, big caramels, white peach, structured, balanced, lemon acidity. Cinnamon aftertaste.

Mine is at 3 days and I am going to give it a couple of days more rest. Coffee is a tad "in charge of my palate" rather than vice versa.
-----
LMWDP #339

mkane
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by mkane »

^I'll keep that layout in mind. Nice and simple.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by JohnB. »

LBIespresso wrote:I am using a Cormorant CR600.

I guess I could charge hotter, skip the soak (1 min), start at 38 mbar instead of 37, make my first gas reduction at 4:30 instead of 4:00. Not sure which and how many of those things would do the trick. This was a 400 Gram charge. My issue does not seem to be power as I really feel like I need to cut gas aggressively to keep a declining ROR. Maybe my issue is heat retention? Maybe it's the opposite and I need to come at it with less heat and just reduce gas less. I really don't know but I am enjoying learning and the community here at HB sure makes the process so much better! I really appreciate the help!!!
I'm also roasting with Cormorant. Typical batch sizes are 454g/1lb & I seldom charge at less then 380*F BT. Gas gets turned up about 1 minute after charge & back down some approaching 300*BT. No issues hitting 300* BT in 4 minutes or less if I want & I'm not using the full 50mbar gas range.
LMWDP 267

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#56: Post by LBIespresso replying to JohnB. »

I don't have the 50mbar I have the 38. I also have only charged with 450 in the past but by my calculations if I charge with 395 I will get one more bite at the apple and 395 seems like a reasonable charge.

I do want to try charging hotter with my next attempt but this batch is soooo good. 8)
LMWDP #580

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by JohnB. replying to LBIespresso »

I just upgraded to the 50mBar regulator last month. I don't recall using any setting higher the 40 mBar so far & I had no problem hitting the dry times I mentioned prior to the upgrade. Do you have the early burner or the larger one Johan went to last year?
LMWDP 267

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#58: Post by LBIespresso replying to JohnB. »

I have the early one and soak for 1 minute at 10mbar then up to 37. Like I said, I could charge hotter and will try it. I really do appreciate hearing other Cormorant users discuss their approaches. So thanks for your input!
LMWDP #580

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by JohnB. replying to LBIespresso »

I'd charge hotter & leave the gas at 2-2.5 mBar during the soak since you've got the smaller stove.
LMWDP 267

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#60: Post by Brewzologist »

Here is my 'first crack' at this coffee. :D The next time I roast it I'll tweak the gas more toward the end so it doesn't run quite as long. Looking forward to tasting it!