Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:. Good leaping off data for me when the beans arrive.

Dave
Dave, yours and a few others are headed to the post office in a few minutes. I'm waiting for one last person who paid, but didn't provide an address or their real name :cry:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Boldjava

#22: Post by Boldjava »

TomC wrote:Dave, yours and a few others are headed to the post office in a few minutes. I'm waiting for one last person who paid, but didn't provide an address or their real name :cry:
Just add theirs to mine. I will be sure to thank them when they post a screamer.
-----
LMWDP #339

Almico

#23: Post by Almico »

Boldjava wrote:Helpful. It appears that you spent about 1:45 in 1st before dropping. Good leaping off data for me when the beans arrive.

Dave
The 1:38 post 1C is very much tied in to the 4:30 time to dry. This coffee could easily be dropped at 1:10 and 380* (10* above 1C temp.), but you would get a very indistinct acidity. Pleasant, but nothing I couldn't get from any good central. Time can be stretched, but I don't think it benefits from higher drop temp. You want to do all your heat drops before 1C and then let it slowly run out of steam. Like a well-made paper airplane...give it a good push, and then let it float gradually to the ground.

The marzipan is the key note for me, sweet, almondy with a little...cinnamon? You don't taste it hot, but it blooms as the cup cools. Haven't tried it for espresso yet. Just Americanos. The white peach comes along with the acids.

[creative nickname]

#24: Post by [creative nickname] »

I got that marzipan note in the dry fragrance, along with a nice amount of cloves, cinnamon/vanilla, and caramel. When brewed, my roast tended to shift more towards the caramel side, with some milk chocolate, a sweet orange/clementine acidity, and a smooth, milky body. The aftertaste was juicy, sweet, clean and lingering.

Pulling shots of this lighter roast tended to emphasize the orange and spice notes, along with plenty of the caramel sweetness.

Overall a great coffee. I'm almost out of my first batch, and look forward to to varying roast depth a bit and seeing if that puts that marzipan more front and center for me.
LMWDP #435

Almico

#25: Post by Almico »

[creative nickname] wrote:Overall a great coffee. I'm almost out of my first batch, and look forward to to varying roast depth a bit and seeing if that puts that marzipan more front and center for me.
I've been brewing it strictly as Americanos. I lose the Marzipan in a filter brew, but gain tons of syrupy body when rested a week.

Dry fragrance is like brown sugar cookie dough...and clove the spice I was looking for. I've had clovier coffee, but this one has it along with the cinnamon.

Boldjava

#26: Post by Boldjava »

Christmas came early this year.

Mailed Saturday from Bay Area, Calif and tossed onto my porch this Monday.

-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#27: Post by TomC (original poster) »

First attempt at the washed Salvadoran Killmanjaro coffee. Smells amazing. I'll add more impressions later.

13.1% weight loss.

dale_cooper

#28: Post by dale_cooper »

TomC wrote:30 pounds went out yesterday. Another 24 going out today, just waiting for the last payment to post so they all go out today. I can ship tomorrow as well, although the window is narrower.

Everyone who wants this coffee should have received a PM from me by now. I still have some tracking numbers to email out from folks who's coffee shipped yesterday

Assuming you meant from the original interest group? I pm'd you shortly after this thread was started, on 9/9, and followed up again. No response unfortunately. If you still have any left, I'd love to buy it. Thanks.

bradm

#29: Post by bradm »

Christmas came for me on Monday. 1000 thanks @TomC !

Created a bean in RW "Aida Batlle Selection: Finca Killmanjaro": https://roast.world/beans/bYC184HmFoa_i3eCs_ZjK

First try to mimic Almico's profile went reasonably well.

Tried the constant fan approach at F4 calibrated. Need to cut power more aggressively in the mid to get closer to that 8:11 FC, and perhaps maintain post-FC RoR a bit higher as I only got about 4C temperature rise. But at 12.9% weight loss it doesn't seem wicked under-developed, and it did have a modestly rich sweet smell in the pan.

One interesting roasting observation: I heard at least a dozen outlier snaps before FC really started going. I initially marked it about 15 seconds early. Curious if others are noticing a gradual start to FC?

Updates to follow...

12 hrs: nice dry aroma of fig jam, but cup is under-developed and the first pour-over is under-extracted. Darn. Feels like I blew it in the final minute.

day 3: dry and wet aromas are tantalizing, but cup is only a bit improved. Still very thin body, slightly sour, generally under-developed.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#30: Post by TomC (original poster) »

dale_cooper wrote: Assuming you meant from the original interest group? I pm'd you shortly after this thread was started, on 9/9, and followed up again. No response unfortunately. If you still have any left, I'd love to buy it. Thanks.

My apologies I thought I'd gone back thru everyone. I'll PM you shortly, you're probably getting the last allotment I have to sell.