Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by mkane »

Here's the 2 roasts. I tried the other one this morning. It's more of the same. One is

more of everything, sweeter, fragrance, and overall taste seems more balanced. I'm not sur which one is which. I'll keep better notes.

bradm

#82: Post by bradm »

Curious to hear which of those roasts was better, as they look fairly different. One was a larger batch size, maybe that differentiates them post-roast? Thanks for posting the curves.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by mkane »

If memory serves me correct MSK923 was sweeter, more fragrant. Very harmonious in the cup. More in the am.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#84: Post by LBIespresso »

aidabatlle wrote:I love all of the feedback. As a producer I normally don't get to hear all of it directly from the consumers, thank you for letting me be a part of this chat.
Thank YOU for being a part of this chat. How lucky we are to hear your perspective! I am so enjoying roasting your coffee. I work hard to give it the respect it deserves. What a wonderful coffee it is!
LMWDP #580

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#85: Post by aidabatlle »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and support!

littlenut

#86: Post by littlenut »

mkane wrote:I'm not sur which one is which. I'll keep better notes.
Made me chuckle out loud when I first read this portion and again just now rereading because it is so familiar to me... When I roast 8-9 batches, I keep good roast notes as I go, put mine in jars, label and fill the bags for friends, and then I go back to write any summaries and label the artisan files. I have found myself at the end not knowing which roasts (e.g. which Yirg) I kept for myself and which I bagged for friends....Hell to Get Old.... -LN

PS Thx to all for the detailed posts and associated info. I find it all interesting and much directly applicable.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by Brewzologist »

Almico wrote:Don't be afraid to take this coffee a little further. It is very smooth at any roast level, but too light and it homogenizes into any other really good central. Still great, but less distinct. Don't go much hotter, but if you're hanging around 5-6* ROR towards the end of the roast, stretch it out 15-20 seconds instead of dropping right away. It will keep the juicy flavors, but lessen its impact. It will also add some nice tree nut notes and even more body.
Alan; I took a go at your suggestion below. Definitely love the almond flavor in this coffee and peach is the fruit flavor I notice the most. Very unique and wonderful coffee.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by mkane »

Today MSK924's pushing the right buttons. Wonderful finish and a great way to end a slurp.
Coffee's been resting about 40 hours.

It's suppose to rain here today and it's a welcome sight to see rain clouds in the sky. I've still got a few outdoor chores to finish up and if it holds off for a while I would appreciate it. If it doesn't rain I'm positive I'll find myself roasting more of this coffee, trying to make improvements here and there. If this happens I'll need to order more. I can't help myself.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#89: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I roasted her Natural Kilimanjaro last night, which I'll start a different thread on. Today is a special day for the Salvadorans in my family. Two of my aunt in-laws have hosted a walk-a-thon for a children's hospital as well as an orphanage in San Salvador for more than a decade. Today is the day of the walk-a-thon. I wish I had a properly rested batch to brew up now!

I chatted with Aida last night for quite a bit. She's back in Miami currently. It's worth emphasizing the point that she loves to engage and discuss processing methods for coffee, but she's not a roaster, she's deferring to the audience here to recommend and chat about roasting profiles.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#90: Post by TomC (original poster) »

A dear friend of mine here on the forum just made a kind donation to this fundraiser . Let there be good coffee karma going out to everyone!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/