Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 31

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Further

#301: Post by Further »

I watched the YouTube video. There was a reference towards the end of publishing scoring on each. Has that been done and where specifically may that be accessed? Thanks to all involved in the video.

GC7

#302: Post by GC7 »

Brewzologist wrote:Thanks Aida! For those wondering what to buy (all of them of course! :) ), you may wish to review the Facsimile tasting video where we got to try each of them: video
Thanks for posting the link to that video. While it seemed like War and Peace at times it was well worth the 73 minutes.

I too would be curious to learn their scores for these coffees if posted. I have the same 4 to enjoy from this season's harvest.

mpdeem
Team HB

#303: Post by mpdeem »

Just roasted and tasted tonight this coffee alongside the natural process. I initially worried that it might be overshadowed by the fruited intensity of the natural. No need to worry as the washed held its own with lovely honey, peach, yellow plum, roasted almonds, raw sugar, and a hint of coco dusting. This is packed full of flavors, demonstrating how complex and flavorful a washed coffee can be.

I was blown away....literally becuase I had assumed the washed might seem understated compared to the natural. If anything cupping the two side by side, demonstrated the unique beauty of each process in the hands of a master. The washed had equal complexity and flavor while the natural demonstrated remarkable balance (something that has become sadly rare). I can see another order of the washed in the near future...becuase it is dangerously good.

In this time of ever expanding, pushing-the-limits processesing styles, it is lovely to be reminded of the incredible potential of a washed coffee. Also a reminder that a well grown coffee needs no dressing up so to speak in that its quality is apparent regardless of processing style. To have a superbly grown coffees processed with such mastery is beyond describing...the resulting cup is nothing short of heavenly.

Thank you Aida for such incredible coffees. A belated happy birthday - to many more years of wonderful coffee.

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#304: Post by aidabatlle »

That is great to hear! I have an incredible team! The idea of sharing all these processes along with the Washed, is for you all to be able to taste what different processes do to the coffee. The "base" will always be there and the different attributes get highlighted. I'm glad you enjoyed them both. :)

mpdeem
Team HB

#305: Post by mpdeem »

Please extend my gratitude to your team as well. One of the things that I admire is your innovative approach to processing. You pioneered the concept of applying processes from other regions to your coffees long before anyone else was. Yet despite innovative processing, you never sacraficed quality of the coffee crop itself.

These days there is a lot of experimental processing - with many farmers offering different processed versions of their coffees. Often the emphasis is on extremity as opposed to balance and harmony - and in some cases, the processing hides a rather medicore base coffee.

With the above in mind, this is why your washed coffee was so impressive. It stands out on inate quality first and foremost. Even more impressive is your handling of a rather 'classic' processing method, rendering a sublime coffee that is far more memorable than the latest extreme experimental processed coffee. What a wonderful testament to both base coffee and processes methods. That one coffee posses so many different characteristics, each revealed one with different processing..yet linked by the same inate quality of the coffee crop itself.

Even after tasting so many novel processed coffees over the last two years -and some have been quite unorthodox - your coffees remain in a class by themselves. This is not meant as flattery but rather my honest reaction.

One thing I love about coffee is that it is cyclical - the time between each crop allows one to reflect and compare. In the interim between your previous offerings and the current, I have had ample time to taste a large variety of coffees..many coming from other 'processing pioneers' (for lack of better term). A year later, I remain even more convinced that you, your team, and your coffees continue to serve as both a benchmark and inspiration - to both producers and consumers alike. Thank you for never sacrificing quality or vision to the latest trend or marketing. That integrity is evident in the cup!
★ Helpful

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#306: Post by aidabatlle »

When I started experimenting with different processes it was out of curiosity. And it still is. How would it impact the cup? Why do other origins process that way? Once I started tasting the differences, it was never about manipulating the coffee, it was about highlighting the different attributes that were already present in the traditional Washed we had always done. After nailing this down, then it became about experimenting with drying. The difference between clay patio drying vs African drying beds. Then how does shade play a role? Drying in complete shade or under a screen that would help us control not only temperature but also UV light while extending drying time which would also help in extending the shelf life of the green. None of this would have been possible without the help of Mario and the JHill team who process our coffees since we do not own a wet or dry mill. Glad they've put up with me and all my crazy ideas for all these years. Haha
★ Helpful

mpdeem
Team HB

#307: Post by mpdeem »

Thank you for such a detailed account of your initial experiments. This gives me an even better understanding of what is being observed in both roasting and in the cup. If ever you are inspired to write a book detailing your experiences I hope you consider doing so.

Such an account would be of great interest to many such as myself. Such information would elevate the humble coffee lover from the role of 'consumer' to a more enlightened and hopefully appreciative state.

For example, your coffees have a remarkable longevity, easily outlasting most of the other coffee in my stash while showing almost no sign of aging especially with regard to taste. This is even more impressive given my rather primitive storage set up. After reading your remarks regarding use of a shade screen to protect the coffee from UV light and extend shelf life, I now understand at least part of reason for your coffees' incredible longevity.

With the large variety of coffees available and deluge of marketing, the coffee lover risks becoming a rather spoilt gourmand who mistakes personal preference for some sort of profound knowledge. Just reading your post is a fascinating yet humble reminder of how little I know about coffee. Thank you for taking the time to share some of the thought process and inspiration behind such iconic coffees.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#308: Post by LBIespresso »

Before I roast I often give a quick look through my 1 pound batches of green for defects or rocks etc..In my short time roasting, of the 30 or so coffees that I have roasted, none compare to the visible quality of Aida's (and her team's) greens. Sure, her coffees roast well and taste amazing. Look to Mary for a more eloquent description since she describes it better than I. But the color, look, and absence of defects, the absolute sheer quality of Aida's (and her team) green is unmatched in my experience.

I hate to gush like this since it could sound insincere but in this case, gushing is warranted.
LMWDP #580

mpdeem
Team HB

#309: Post by mpdeem replying to LBIespresso »

Perfect timing as I was just noticing the pristine prep while getting ready to roast the Iced Cascara Process today. I don't even bother doing a pre sort on Aida's coffees...such is the quality.

It is difficult not to write an effusive 'gushing' post about Aida's coffees. I worry about my posts resembling flattery but when the quality is that good it would be dishonest to minimize or dimish ;)

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#310: Post by aidabatlle »

Again...thank you all so much for the kind words.

We're just doing our job. Providing the best coffee we can from seed to green from what we can. The coffee/seeds we provide are just like tomatoes, peaches, citrus or any other fruit or vegetable. They won't be the same every year. As farmers, we depend on climate and weather conditions. Some years will be better than others.

Home rosters are as fascinating to me just as much as my rosters clients. You all are just as anal AF as I am. Haha But with that said, you all taking the time to be just as meticulous with such small volumes just like larger roasters are, it surprises me to hear you all have to sort through the green. It's one thing to buy full container loads where sh@t can happen but with such small quantities it shouldn't be an issue in my humble opinion. The green you receive is either personally vac packed by me or one of my siblings in Miami when I'm back home in El Salvador. This side hustle we've got going on is very small but we still want to make sure we offer the best we can.

This connection is what makes this such a unique and wonderful industry.

And as far as a book goes...if I were to ever write one, the tittle would be: "Coffee is a dirty, nasty, beautiful thing." Because it truly is and at the end of the day, we all pour our hearts, sweat and tears into it.