Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown

#31: Post by Rickpatbrown »

My first roast. Seems like a pretty easy bean to roast.

I'll need to sort out the hump and slight crash. It seems associated with my final fan change. Airflow is something that eludes my comprehension at this point.
My low setting is 0.04", medium 0.05" and high is 0.07" on my Magnehelic connected to the bean/exhaust shoot on my Huky.

The bean surface is still quite wrinkled. I will let it smooth out more next time.

3 days post roast:
Chemex was nice. Solid wet processed coffee. Good balance, with subtle profile. Body is perfect, juicy and sweet. A little too much acidity for my liking. Probably could benefit from a little more time in the roaster. Or maybe a hotter pourover extraction.

Based on Alan's comments, I pulled a shot and desicrated it with some water (double espresso 1:2, and the added water 2:1 water:espresso). Very interesting compared to the Chemex. Obviously, a bit more body. I could also get that marscapone note. Again, a little toom much acidity.

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Brewzologist »

Rickpatbrown wrote: I'll need to sort out the hump and slight crash. It seems associated with my final fan change. Airflow is something that eludes my comprehension at this point. My low setting is 0.04", medium 0.05" and high is 0.07" on my Magnehelic connected to the bean/exhaust shoot on my Huky.
Thanks Rick. Looking forward to my first roast of this coffee! Thanks again Tom!!

Agree on airflow changes on the Huky during a roast being a challenge. Awhile ago I ran a test to find the max convective air setting for my setup. During a roast I put it at that setting after a soak and don't touch it again for the rest of the roast. The only time I deviate from this setting is when my pressure sensor shows some backflow due to weather conditions, or occasionally when I increase fan to evacuate smoke just before drop. Just way easier to control the Huky with gas than air.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by LBIespresso »

Haven't had the chance to get at this yet but I plan on it tomorrow. I was hoping to see more people post their profiles, charge temp, drop temp, etc... so I could get a better idea of where to begin so thanks to all that have! I will post mine here assuming I do in fact get to tomorrow. Super excited!! Thanks again Tom for sharing!
LMWDP #580

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by pcofftenyo »

Thanks for posting your efforts Rick. Looking forward to taking a swing at it. Will probably shoot for a little bit more temp increase during 1C but keep the duration similar. Seems like it took the high heat soak pretty well.

Almico

#35: Post by Almico »

Rickpatbrown wrote:My first roast. Seems like a pretty easy bean to roast. image
It is a very easy bean to roast. Can I recommend stretching your aspect ratio? Easier to see what's going on:

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#36: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'll set aside some of my first roast to compare to my next planned attempt. This coffee doesn't reward any sort of underdevelopment. Im getting mango-peel (unripe) notes in this first batch. Hotter charge, and a higher delta of 1C to drop is in order. It still displays all the other fine attributes, i.e, buttery mouthfeel and creaminess, sweetness, etc.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Almico

#37: Post by Almico replying to TomC »

Try to get to dry in 4:30. Adjust the batch size so you don't need to use a very high charge temp to get there. On my Cormorant I would charge at 400* and set the gas at whatever level is required to get to 300* in 4:30. Depending on roaster heat retention, gas would need to be reduced significantly before dry to get on a Maillard stretch trajectory, but not too low that it runs out of steam before 1C.

Keep an eye on your mailbox for a present.

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#38: Post by LBIespresso »

Well, there it is. My first attempt. I'll admit, my fear of the chaos at the end of the roast was unfounded as this does seem to be an approachable bean even for a novice like me. I will cup it tomorrow and report back. In the interim, all criticism, constructive or otherwise is welcome.

It does seem like I could charge hotter and move through dry faster and get to FC with a higher ROR giving me more room at the end of the roast.
LMWDP #580

bradm

#39: Post by bradm »

That's a very respectable first try. What was the weight loss %??

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by LBIespresso replying to bradm »

Thanks! Will cup it tomorrow.

12.4% weight loss.
LMWDP #580