Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 28

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown

#271: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Updated post 268 with tasting notes
Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion

Although, I'm feeling kind of dumb now. I just realized the Facsimile tasting was exactly what I should have done. Not sure how I missed that one.

What was this natural processed coffee? Is anyone selling that?

Familiar_Mood

#272: Post by Familiar_Mood replying to Rickpatbrown »

Thanks for the detailed info in your previous post. Really awesome.

That Facsimile cupping was pretty cool, I didn't participate but a friend shared some beans with me 8)

The Burundi is a super tasty lot, I guess the cats out of the bag now and everyone knows how good it is :lol: will have to put in a pre order before the next release!

The iced cascara I understand is a washed, just that the "washing" medium is iced cascara tea. I found it to be definitely more subtle than the others but more refined and elegant if that makes sense...

And that natural ... So clean! I'm pre ordering some of that this year for sure!

Advertisement
aidabatlle
Sponsor

#273: Post by aidabatlle »

Rickpatbrown wrote:Updated post 268 with tasting notes
Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion

Although, I'm feeling kind of dumb now. I just realized the Facsimile tasting was exactly what I should have done. Not sure how I missed that one.

What was this natural processed coffee? Is anyone selling that?
Hi Rick...the Iced Cascara Tea Process is a Washed process which is why you didn't find any in your face Natural notes.

We brew the Cascara tea, freeze it and then add the frozen blocks of Cascara tea to the fermentation tanks the next day once that day's harvest is depulped so it ferments with it while controlling the temperature before it's placed on drying beds.

The Natural that Facsimile offered was the clean Natural we produce, I didn't offer any this year on our website. It will be available later on this year for sure.

Rickpatbrown

#274: Post by Rickpatbrown replying to aidabatlle »

I told my wife that I'm done ordering coffee for the year ... but I'll have to sneak one more in when the natural is released :lol:

I'm finding my roasts from last weekend are really opening up now. I can tame the light-roast grapefruit note by using 210°F water and grinding finer for the Chemex.

I rarely encounter beans that can handle and thrive at such aggressive brewing parameters. It pulls more sweetness and complexity out and zero astringency and unpleasant notes

Top notch, Aida!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#275: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Rickpatbrown wrote:Thanks for this. I roasted all 4 today. I just saw the the Burundi was sold out. This is pretty disappointing. I wanted to taste them, before committing to a large purchase. I was excited about the Burundi in particular.
Aida Batlle just found one last 25 pound bag of her Burundi Process. It shows sold out on her site, but for those who were wanting it, just contact her directly via email.

https://aidabatlleselection.com/product ... 0394166443
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#276: Post by LBIespresso replying to TomC »

Tom...I can't thank you enough for the heads up! I hesitated and missed it the first time around and was so mad at myself. I just reached out and snagged that last bag. Made my day!

:D
LMWDP #580

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#277: Post by aidabatlle »

Thank you Tom and thank you Andrew! Have some of the other processes available that are also delicious! :D

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#278: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I roasted another batch of the washed, and my first attempt at the Kenya process today. Looking forward to tomorrow. I've mainly been doing comfort blend espresso for the past month or two. I need a stellar drip coffee to recharge with.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#279: Post by PIXIllate »

Just wanted to post a few quick impressions as I finally received my bag of roasted AB Indigo from Panther in Miami.

https://aidabatlleselection.com/product ... go-reserve

This is the lightest coffee I've ever put through the Roast Vision. It came out as a 32 - Very Light. For comparison Tim Wendelboe/Passanger/Rouge Wave come up as 26-29.

Taking that into account I ramped up the temperature to 205F and ground very fine. About a full number finer than usual on my Monolith Flat SSW. 17g in 33-35g out in an E&B Superfine basket. Ran a fast fill to 2 bar and then a long hold for a few grams in cup before extracting in 40-42 seconds. Up to 8 bar then a decline.

Notes of fruit compote, butter, double cream, balanced with strikingly clean acidity. When I tried pulling shorter (31g) or using a higher dose (18g) the acidity takes over.

In any case I know the rest of you are roasting your own but this was a pleseant surprise after a lot of coffee orders that didn't live up to the hype. They also threw in a bag of Cascara that I have yet to try.

Rickpatbrown

#280: Post by Rickpatbrown »

PIXIllate wrote: They also threw in a bag of Cascara that I have yet to try.
Three cascara is actually pretty good. Its kinda like tobacco raisins. Just dont steep it too long (>10 minutes) or it gets gross.