Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 24

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
olutheros

#231: Post by olutheros »

LBIespresso wrote:I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Facsimile cuppings are production roasts because we are working on palate development rather than looking for defects. Also, learning about styles of roast, processing, and different cultivars.

But I am with you guys on anticipating some delicious coffee!
i'm still not sure about this question. I know Rao has said that Paolo basically does a standard profile on them and declined to share what the profile was when asked, so I've assumed it's intended to be a cupping profile not something that has been refined (and like two months ago we saw them learn that multiple coffees provided were defective live on camera, so it doesn't seem like Scott or Ryan are tasting test roasts or anything before they cup).

But I agree with y'all these look darker.

bicktrav

#232: Post by bicktrav »

For what it's worth, I roasted last year's Kilimanjaro Natural, and it came out looking dark even at light/bright roast levels. I'm not sure what process or roast degree Facsimile sent (I'm not a subscriber), but if it's anything like that one, don't judge a book by its cover.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#233: Post by baldheadracing »

olutheros wrote:i'm still not sure about this question. I know Rao has said that Paolo basically does a standard profile on them and declined to share what the profile was when asked, so I've assumed it's intended to be a cupping profile not something that has been refined (and like two months ago we saw them learn that multiple coffees provided were defective live on camera, so it doesn't seem like Scott or Ryan are tasting test roasts or anything before they cup).

But I agree with y'all these look darker.
This is the first time I've tried the Facsimile subscription. I've been tasting some of the coffees every day, just using a different grinder and/or prep method every day.

That they don't taste before the live session is both interesting and illuminating given what I've tasted so far.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

OldmatefromOZ

#234: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Rao has posted the Facsimile profiles a few times previously but stopped due to everyone then piling on roasting questions.

They are all roasted on 15kg MillCity / 8kg batches around 8:00 - 8:15 total with post first crack time around the 1:25 - 1:35.
Pretty quick well developed light filter or cupping roasts depending on whose definitions you follow.

The latest Facsimile is the same coffee from Aida processed 4 different ways all roasted the same.

From memory 150C/300F was reached just under 4mins so given the reasonable finish times you can extrapolate the rest.

Hot charges around 220C from memory, 1min soak then pedal to metal.
Exhaust temp seems to peak (250 - 260C) about 1:30 after 150C/300F which is also about 1:15 - 1:30 before first crack start.

So you've got small batch in a big very hot roaster probably with reasonably fast drum speed and adequate airflow.

These roasts leave absolutely no where to hide bad quality green or whatever quality is inherent in the green from processing.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#235: Post by LBIespresso »

I would love to buy the
Spoiler: show
Burundi fermentation processed greens
. So good on Facsimile.
LMWDP #580

jbviau
Supporter ★

#236: Post by jbviau »

Is it too spoiler-ish to post or discuss which was which here? They haven't posted the cheat sheet yet, though I see the video is up (haven't watched it yet and didn't live cup along with them).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing
Team HB

#237: Post by baldheadracing »

Funny how folks have different preferences.

I cupped and pulled blinded all week (so each day I didn't know what colors I was tasting) and preferred the washed most days and consistently didn't prefer the natural ... but lots of folks on YouTube loved the natural. The Burundi and Cascara flip-flopped for me. (I had the washed and Cascara last year and also preferred the washed between the two, but the Cascara was Panther's roast and I roasted the washed (to matching roast colour).)

What was fun was that I'd combine the leftovers each day into a V60 for one big mug of coffee. I seemed to prefer this cup most of all! :D

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#238: Post by LBIespresso »

jbviau wrote:Is it too spoiler-ish to post or discuss which was which here? They haven't posted the cheat sheet yet, though I see the video is up (haven't watched it yet and didn't live cup along with them).
I forgot some people don't watch it live. Apologies!

I fixed my post.
LMWDP #580

baldheadracing
Team HB

#239: Post by baldheadracing »

Reveal is up:

https://www.facsimile.coffee/previously/f7
FWIW, I had the rest of the natural this morning as a V60. (I froze 24 g of each process for future comparisons.) On its own, it's a great cup 8).

mathof

#240: Post by mathof »

On her website, under the Green Home Roaster Selection for Finca Kilimanjaro washed green beans, Aida Batlle writes: "Roast recommendation: City to Full City".

I've roasted these bans to Full City and used them to good effect in a flat white; but I've also enjoyed them greatly as espresso roasted very light (by Square Mile in London). I wonder what the rationale is for recommending roasting them relatively dark.