Advice for newbie roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Aure87

#1: Post by Aure87 »

Hi, I'm new in the roasting world.
I bought a Kaldi Wide roaster and I put this on 3,8kW stovetop burner.
I had 2 thermocouples; 1 for bean temperature (3mm diameter) ; 1 for exhaust (3mm diameter).
This morning I have done my 10st roast with Guatemala beans.
What do you think about artisan's curves?
Any advice?
Right now I do not taste, but the smell is good.
90% of the time, I drink espresso coffee, extract with bottomless portafilter.
I'm French, so it's a little bit difficult for me to speak english, I hope you will understand :-)

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Curves look good. Times and temps looks good.

Beans look a bit uneven in roasting so could be the beans.

Your taste will tell you.

There's lots of features of Artisan that you can take advantage of. Read the Quick Start Guide linked in my signature. I suggest you skim all the pages to learn the features overall and then dig in deeper on the ones of interest.

Welcome to the community, Michael
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Aure87 (original poster)

#3: Post by Aure87 (original poster) »

Michael,

Thank you, Guatemala beans are composed with 2 differents varieties bourbon and caturra.

Aurelien

Mbb

#4: Post by Mbb »

Well, you type english better than most speak it....so welcome.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

A few tips if you are just starting out:
  • Get a decent quantity of a bean and stick with it
  • Use a bean with a predictable roasting profile (a lot of South or Central Americans are good). Avoid challenging beans (Kenyans, naturals, etc)
  • Use the same size batch from roast to roast, find out the recommended batch size from others who have used your particular roaster
  • Set the airflow at a fixed setting and do not change it during the roast (you can use Rao's lighter test to figure out what setting). When learning some of the biggest challenges come from people changing the airflow, which can cause the BT, ET, and delta to get really wonky. Wait until you really have a good handle on your roaster before you change it.
  • Focus only on changes in heat when learning how to control your roaster.
  • Do a few roasts all the way to second crack so you can see how coffee progresses to second crack.
  • Pay attention to color, listen to the crack and note the temperature you hit yellow and first crack. You will find that this will be very consistent with slight differences for different coffees
  • Drink whatever you roast over a period of a day to a week and see how different beans, roasts, and roast levels impact taste.
  • Eventually you'll get a handle on how to control the roast and roast profiles, but don't worry too much about the roast profile when you are learning.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aure87 (original poster)

#6: Post by Aure87 (original poster) »

@keno : thank you for advices.
Airflow setting will be the same each time because you cannot ajust with my roaster.
I'm going to buy Burundi beans (1 variety, bourbon).
You say "focus only on changes in heat", but What are the other parameters I can touch?
So I have to go to the second crack to understand, that's the mistake I don't done right now :-)
I tasted my coffee this morning and extraction was great with a good amount of crema.
That's not the best coffee I tasted but It's good.
Nutty flavour, but a little spicy, no burn taste.
I achieve 11%Tds and 19% Yield.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane »

I would buy a Central American Washed and save the fancy stuff for later down the road.

Aure87 (original poster)

#8: Post by Aure87 (original poster) »

Yes, I have understand that Central American will be better for begining.
I buy green beans from my roaster who lives in my city.
Right now he has Ethiopian and Burundi.
He says Burundi is easy to roast.
For his next order, he will buy Bob O'link...

Vince_in_Montreal

#9: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

Bienvenue de Montréal :) je suis anglophone mais mon français est assez bon.

I would shorten your dry to 4-5 minutes and development to about 2 mins. This has worked great for me, I am using a Kaldi New wide on a 10800btu propane burner. (I believe your on an electric stovetop?)

Are you pre heating your roaster? Your temps shoot up to charge temps which has me thinking your charging a cold roaster maybe. I preheat for about 20 minutes using Scott Raos techniques but you could probably do 10-15 mins and be fine.

Which Kaldi roaster are you using and how much are you charging? Those beans are very inconsistent. Might be good but drove my OCD crazy when mine looked like that lol.

Aure87 (original poster)

#10: Post by Aure87 (original poster) »

I use a gas burner too, roughtly 13000.
My roaster is the Kaldi wide but not the New like you.
To preheat I go 30 degrees over my charge temp, cut the burner, and let temperature drop about 30 degrees under my charge temp 2 time in a raw.
After I put the burner on with 2/3 of is capacity to have a good momentum before the charge, and I try to keep the exhaust temp around 260-270 degrees.
I keep my charge weight at 250g except for this bash. I put 297g, I know that's the max of the roaster's capacity.
For the uneven roast, if you are talking about bean to bean color, that's 2 type bean issue. My roaster got the same.
If you are talking about in the same bean, I think charging near max capacity did the issue.