Adding a 3rd temperature probe to Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico
Supporter ★

#1: Post by Almico »

I'm adding an incoming air probe to my roaster and Artisan and am confused (again). I'm using a Vinthub with an RTD device/probe connected to one input for BT and a "TMP1101_0 - 4x Thermocouple Phidget" device connected to another with a TC for ET. I want to add a 2nd probe to the TMP1101 Thermocouple Phidget and use it for incoming air.

When I open Config>Device>Extra Devices and open the drop down, I get 3 choices for devices which could match the TMP1101_0 - 4x Thermocouple Phidget. Which one do I select?

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Alan,

The TMP1101 has 4 ports, numbered 0, 1, 2 and 3. If you use the port 0 and 1 of the TMP1101, choose "Phidget TMP1101 4xTC 01" to get the readings from the TCs connected to port 0 and 1. To get the readings from the ports 2 and 3 you choose the device type "Phidget TMP1101 4xTC 23". The TMP1101, as every TC meter, is equipped with an ambient temperature sensor within the device for drift compensation. To read in that one, choose the third option "Phidget TMP1101 4xTC AT".

Note that Artisan is always reading 2 channels per device. For devices that offer only one channel, the reading of that channel is forwarded to both channels of the Artisan device.

I assume that you connected your ET TC probe to port 0 of the TMP1101 and your third probe its port 1, so you choose type "Phidget TMP1101 4xTC 01" to read both those TCs. You might want to re-route the reading of this first extra device channel to the main device ET channel. For this you add the symbolic formula/variable "Y3" (without the quotes) under "ET Y(x)" in the third tab "Symb ET/BT" of the Device Assignment dialog (see under One in Two in the Artisan v2.1 release notes). Then you could untick the LCD 1 and Curve 1 flag of your one extra device. You might also want to tick the LCD 2 and Curve 2 flag of your one extra device to show the readings of your third probe.

Let me know if you need further support,
Marko

Almico (original poster)
Supporter ★

#3: Post by Almico (original poster) »

MaKoMo wrote:
Let me know if you need further support,
Marko
Got it. I'll try it tonight. Big thanks, Marko!!! I've been wanting to add this probe for a while.

Almico (original poster)
Supporter ★

#4: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I went into Designer and didn't see any pre-loaded points. I right-clicked and reset and got this: How do I get the curves back. I didn't see anything in the 2.1 release notes.

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

right-click, select "Config", incr. Curviness parameter

Almico (original poster)
Supporter ★

#6: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Ok, incoming air probe working. I poked around everywhere, but I couldn't find how to make the trace line thicker?

Almico (original poster)
Supporter ★

#7: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I had to expand the temp axis to incorporate Incoming air trace:
What I found interesting is that as I was reducing gas from 33 to 25 to 17%, the incoming air temp was not decreasing although the ET was. Huh?

But that compresses my BT curve to much. I don't get to see the crash as it really is. This is my Sumatra, hence the power gymnastics.

One reason I wanted the see Incoming air was to know if I was adding or subtracting heat when I increased airflow. I guess I don't need the trace for that. When IN air temp on the LCD is equal or less than ET temp, it is safe to open the damper.

And FYI, I "mounted" the 2mm IN probe to one of those telescoping mechanics magnet tools for reaching dropped fasteners. I cut the plastic handle off, hose clamped the probe to the shaft and just stuck the magnet on the base where the burner mounts and extended the probe up behind the drum.

MaKoMo

#8: Post by MaKoMo »

[quote="Almico"]Ok, incoming air probe working. I poked around everywhere, but I couldn't find how to make the trace line thicker?

You can change the appearance of each curve in the "Figure Options" dialog clicking the "Customize" icon in the tools bar. You want to change the line width.

EddyQ

#9: Post by EddyQ »

Almico wrote:And FYI, I "mounted" the 2mm IN probe to one of those telescoping mechanics magnet tools for reaching dropped fasteners. I cut the plastic handle off, hose clamped the probe to the shaft and just stuck the magnet on the base where the burner mounts and extended the probe up behind the drum.
Very creative Al. Finding the right place for the incoming air probe (I label mine a MET probe) is tricky. My roaster came with this TC going through a hole an inch or two above the drive shaft. I'm interested in where you have yours since it is showing much hotter temps than mine (which is about 550F max). But I don't believe my 550F temps are correct with air below the drive shaft. Maybe I will craft up a probe similar to yours so I can investigate all the different air temps going into my drum.
LMWDP #671

Almico (original poster)
Supporter ★

#10: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to EddyQ »

I tried to orient mine so the tip of the probe is just above the center of the drum. It's hotter above and cooler below. I'm not sure which is best yet. I'll be able to calibrate it by watching the ∆ET curve. If the MET (outside the drum) says 400 and the ET (inside the drum) says 400, and I open the air and the ∆ET goes up, then the probe is too low. If the ∆ET goes down, then the probe is too high. Ideally, if the MET and ET are reading the same, the air should not affect ∆ET.

And it makes sense that an MET probe on a 5kg roaster should be hotter than a .5kg roaster. Getting 10# of coffee from 70 to 410* in 10 minutes takes much more heat energy than 1#.